The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 VS WR250R??

joshb

Hey guys hows it going. I'ma total n00b here. I just want some advice so please don't bash me lol. I'm having a tough time choosing between FZ-07 and the WR250R. I'm from NJ right outside of NYC. I want something I can drive into the city and something good on the highway. The thought of the WR250R is cool because I can take it off road. Only problem is there aren't a lot of legal trails by me and I don't want to deal with cops. So my question is do you think it would be smart to get the FZ-07 then down the line buy a dirt bike or a dual sport? Or do you think the wr250r would be solid? I have experience with riding dirt bikes none with street bikes though. So let me know.  

Without knowing you at all, all I can do is use my personal experience and logic:

If you've ridden dirt bikes but no street bikes, logic says a dual-purpose bike will make learning to ride on the street as easy as possible for you.
Why?
A WR250R is about 100 pounds lighter than the FZ07 and is made in the image of a dirt bike, so that will feel familiar.
I used to own a 2008 WR250R (and a 2008 WR250X, too), so I'm familiar with the bike.

Not saying it's impossible to successfully ride an FZ07 as your first street bike, but I've always believed it makes more sense and is safer to start small and work your way up.
You know:
Gain experience.

I've wished before that I had a dual sport for some trails that weren't exactly legal. I saw myself getting caught loading my dirt bike back into the truck when I was done, but if I had a dual sport I could make a speedier getaway. Not that I'd condone that sort of thing...

Without knowing you at all, all I can do is use my personal experience and logic: 
If you've ridden dirt bikes but no street bikes, logic says a dual-purpose bike will make learning to ride on the street as easy as possible for you.
Why?
A WR250R is about 100 pounds lighter than the FZ07 and is made in the image of a dirt bike, so that will feel familiar.
I used to own a 2008 WR250R (and a 2008 WR250X, too), so I'm familiar with the bike.

Not saying it's impossible to successfully ride an FZ07 as your first street bike, but I've always believed it makes more sense and is safer to start small and work your way up.
You know:
Gain experience.

That is true. However do you think the wr can perform well with 2 up riding and on free ways??

I've wished before that I had a dual sport for some trails that weren't exactly legal. I saw myself getting caught loading my dirt bike back into the truck when I was done, but if I had a dual sport I could make a speedier getaway. Not that I'd condone that sort of thing...
Yeah I've been caught doing the same thing lol. By me they have park rangers on Christini AWD dirt bikes and they know how to ride haha

I've owned 3 dualsports through the years. They make lousy street bikes. I always had a street bike along with them.

You said yourself you have limited off road areas.

Get the FZ-07.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Yeah I've been caught doing the same thing lol. By me they have park rangers on Christini AWD dirt bikes and they know how to ride haha

I'm stongly considering either an Alta or dirtbike or Zero FX for those kinds of trails. They are electric, so nobody can hear you up there. Hell, one could even mount some bicycle pedals on one and then what could they say?

Why?

You know:
Gain experience.

Yeah thats true. It's just the FZ-07 brand new isn't that much more than the WR250R brand new. Which totally throws me off lol

I'm stongly considering either an Alta or dirtbike or Zero FX for those kinds of trails. They are electric, so nobody can hear you up there. Hell, one could even mount some bicycle pedals on one and then what could they say?
Those are bad ass. I didn't even know they made electric Dirt bikes. I wonder how many hours the battery last for lol

I don't recommend the FZ07 as a very first bike.  Since you don't have much in the way of trails.  Probably a used 300f, ninja 250/300, CBR 250/300 or R3 would be better choice.  Used is best for first bike because you'll probably drop it at least once, and you will probably upgrade pretty quick and you don't want to eat depreciation on a new one.  

My first bike was an XT250 and it worked out great because I started out riding in my yard (1 acre rural area) then hit the streets.  XT has lower seat hight than WR so better beginner bike.  

I don't recommend the FZ07 as a very first bike.  Since you don't have much in the way of trails.  Probably a used 300f, ninja 250/300, CBR 250/300 or R3 would be better choice.  Used is best for first bike because you'll probably drop it at least once, and you will probably upgrade pretty quick and you don't want to eat depreciation on a new one.   
My first bike was an XT250 and it worked out great because I started out riding in my yard (1 acre rural area) then hit the streets.  XT has lower seat hight than WR so better beginner bike.  

I agree with you on that and I've looked into those bikes. I simply just don't like the way they look. Sports bikes with all those plastics look so tacky. The only reason why I fell in love with the FZ 07 is because it has that Naked look. 

• 2 weeks later...

Love my 07 but can completely see your point. If I lived in a big city ( NEVER again) the advantage of a small light nimble bike is obvious.
My pick would be a motard style bike like the DRZ400SM ( eg). Fit tyres like MT60's which aren't too aweful on the bitumen. Fit narrower bars ( not too narrow) to make lane splitting easier. I had one I bought for my girlfriend after she sold her old SV650 and she loved it but wouldn't ride dirt so I sold it.
If you go too small a motor the upright position can make open highway a bit tedious. 400-650 would be my pick, with 17" wheels front and back. Still works in the dirt but more solid on the tar.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I started on a 250 dual sport and then moved to the fz 07. the 250 was a great bike, it was great for short commutes, to put in the back of the truck to take camping and travel the fire roads. There's something awesome about totally maxing out the power on a small bike, it's a blast. However, I felt I couldn't pass on the highway traveling behind a car doing 55 mph, I just didn't have enough oomph. I sold the 250, then got the fz 07. The FZ felt intimidating at first, such an air blast in the mid section without a screen and about 100 lbs heavier. I thought that I will never need a more powerful bike. I wish I never sold the dual sport, and will probably buy another 250. I wont make the same mistake with the fz 07, such a nimble light motorcycle that is a blast to ride. I might get another bike, but the FZ 07 is such a fun bike to ride so I will probably keep that one in the stable.

One thing about the dual sports, your ass will hurt from riding the knobbies on a small seat if you do any distance on the road and you'll have to replace the knobbies after 4k miles of street riding. The dual sport fit my situation however, and I wish I never had sold it. Yes, both is good! (but you'll alway be looking for another, it's the curse of motorcycle riding!)

Seat Concepts make foam and cover awesome replacements for both the drz 400sm and the mt07. Bougth both and was very pleased.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Living in a big city (Chicago) and having an FZ-07 as my first bike I say an FZ-07 would be a great bike for you.

But I've also never ridden a WR or DRZ so can't speak on those but it would be cool to compare them for my commute and places I ride. I'm sure the longer travel suspension would be great for all the potholes haha.

I'll try to keep it simple. Since you have experience riding I wouldn't think that getting an FZ-07 would be too much bike for you. Taking into account many people on this site never rode at all before and are doing alright with the FZ-07. Just use good judgement and you should be alright. It's hard to find a bike that does both street and dirt well so I recommend getting a used FZ-07 and use the money you save towards a decent, used dirt bike later. I would talk to some of those rangers you mentioned and I bet they can point you in the direction of some trails you may not have known about. ;) GL!

Beemer

Archived