The MT-07 Forum

TWOWHEELDYNOWORKS = A++++

peteinpa

Weather finally warmed up to 45-52F today so I finally got out to try my new flash.

I'm fully stock, factory muffler, air filter, gearing, etc. Just flashed. Only change is the intake snorkel is trimmed. Part that sits inside the air filter is gone.

Power is up all through the rev range. Great smooth power.
Annoying throttle off hard deceleration is gone. Gear shifting is MUCH smoother, nothing wrong with the transmission. It's just the injectors shutting off between shifts.
You can take off from a stop in 2nd even 3rd gear no problems. This will cure all stalling problems.
You can slow down in 6th gear to 35 mph and it picks right back up without downshifting. Great for going through the small towns here in PA.
Fan cuts on at 200F, off at 190F. which is great.

If you do nothing else to your FZ-07...Get it flashed from 2WDWS! You won't be disappointed. 

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

2wheeldynoworks

Isn't this normal operation? Can't remember if 2WDW changed anything here. But yes, I agree with everything you are saying.
We drop it 10 degrees from stock :)

2wheeldynoworks
Weather finally warmed up to 45-52F today so I finally got out to try my new flash. 
I'm fully stock, factory muffler, air filter, gearing, etc. Just flashed. Only change is the intake snorkel is trimmed. Part that sits inside the air filter is gone.

Power is up all through the rev range. Great smooth power.
Annoying throttle off hard deceleration is gone. Gear shifting is MUCH smoother, nothing wrong with the transmission. It's just the injectors shutting off between shifts.
You can take off from a stop in 2nd even 3rd gear no problems. This will cure all stalling problems.
You can slow down in 6th gear to 35 mph and it picks right back up without downshifting. Great for going through the small towns here in PA.

If you do nothing else to your FZ-07...Get it flashed from 2WDWS! You won't be disappointed. 

Thanks for the review, we're thrilled you are enjoying your bike with our ecu flash

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your flash Peteinpa. I've only been able to ride a few sporadic miles since I had my bike done. It's 25 degrees here right now and the streets are covered with salt. :-[   Please keep posting so I can enjoy the improvement vicariously. 
    My motorcycle is also stock and even the few brief rides have shown me a vast improvement. Spring seems so far away! 

Well I'm done now too. Just got 7 inches of snow. I'm back to living vicariously too. Spring IS coming. Can't wait.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

I just had my ECU flashed and looking forward to the improvements. However, my bike has no forks, since I sent them to Matt recently for the Matris cartridge upgrade. Also, purchased the Nitron R1 shock from Matt to complete my suspension upgrades. Come on Spring!

2wheeldynoworks
I just had my ECU flashed and looking forward to the improvements. However, my bike has no forks, since I sent them to Matt recently for the Matris cartridge upgrade. Also, purchased the Nitron R1 shock from Matt to complete my suspension upgrades. Come on Spring!
cmon man that's no excuse just ride the wheelie ;)

Please let us know how this mod affects fuel economy.   :)
Ran about 10 miles to gas station, filled with 89 octane, zeroed trips, MPG etc. and then rode another 40 miles. Came up with 39 mpg. on average meter. I'm in the country so no city riding. 
It's not enough to determine but is a drop in MPG of about 5 to 10 MPG.

Now weather is back to winter but maybe this coming weekend I can test further. I'll reset the MPG and just run at 60 MPH on level road and see what I get.

2wheeldynoworks
Please let us know how this mod affects fuel economy.   :)
Ran about 10 miles to gas station, filled with 89 octane, zeroed trips, MPG etc. and then rode another 40 miles. Came up with 39 mpg. on average meter. I'm in the country so no city riding. 
It's not enough to determine but is a drop in MPG of about 5 to 10 MPG.

Now weather is back to winter but maybe this coming weekend I can test further. I'll reset the MPG and just run at 60 MPH on level road and see what I get.
Thanks for the feedback, please keep us informed how your next test goes for mpg. It will require a few tanks of fuel to get accurate data. We're very curious about this as generally mpg goes up and not down after a flash. We recommend sticking to 91+ octane as cheap insurance to keep the engines happy, especially with the EPA saying it's going to be adding more ethanol to the fuels soon. If the mpg dropped 5-10mpg, the engine would be flat, slow, more than likely be fouling the plugs, stink like raw fuel and it wouldn't be so smooth, hence our curiousity. Also, how are you calculating your MPG? Off the fuel consumed or mileage off a full tank? We are so happy you love the ride ability of the flash! We will get to the bottom of this fuel economy issue. We would be happy to test the ecu of anyone with a question. Of course no charge. We need everyone's bike 100%  
Thanks!
Nels

I definitely will be doing more riding to see what the MPG is. I figured it by the MPG feature on the speedometer. It's always been a bit low compared to figuring it yourself.

It seems that our situations are very similar Peteinpa.  When my ECU came back I rushed to try it out in spite of the temperatures in the upper thirties. I rode around the neighborhood mostly and the average mpg on the computer were low on my first two rides.

I don't pay strict attention to the mpg readings but I usually see about 50 or above when riding around town. After my first outing I saw 35 mpg and it got my attention. The same number on ride number two had me a little concerned. I knew it wasn't a fair trial so I waited patiently for warmer times and longer rides.  The first chance that I had I ran a few highway miles and looped around to a friends house. The mpg number was up over 50 even though it was still quite cold out. 

At this point I believe that the cold air temperature is the biggest factor for the lower fuel economy. I run 91 octane ethanol free fuel in the bike and I did smell the exhaust more on day one.  When it's 30 something degrees out and you're in an open garage I think it's normal to smell more fumes than usual.  ::)      

My older bikes with carbs used to run really strong in the cooler weather. Colder air is denser air and carbs don't compensate. Fuel injected bikes have a brain and they know that it's stinking cold out so they react by adding fuel to the mix.  In my opinion the lower mpg and the occasional smell are weather related. 

In conclusion Peteinpa,  I think that both of us are in a big hurry to enjoy our bikes and neither of us should be in a hurry to decide about the flash results. I know that I'm enjoying mine and it seems that you are liking yours very much also.  It's been very cold, I only have a few rides in so far and I've enjoyed the new found smoothness. I'm convinced that the ECU is learning as it goes, every ride has been better than the previous one and spring is coming soon!  

I forgot to mention that we have reformulated winter blend gasoline here now until spring. The gas mileage in all of my vehicles drops every winter until the warm weather fuel returns. :o
  Ordinarily I wouldn't be riding my bike with winter blend fuel.  This year I'm having fun trying out my new flash so I've had to fill up in January which is unusual.   I don't think there is anything wrong with my flash and I'll keep checking every chance that I get! 8-)

Hopefully get out this weekend for more...testing....yeah, that's it.

I also have a Honda ST1300 That always gets 40-42 mpg. FZ-07 should out do that.

2wheeldynoworks
I definitely will be doing more riding to see what the MPG is. I figured it by the MPG feature on the speedometer. It's always been a bit low compared to figuring it yourself.
To get a more precise measurement, give this a try: It'll take a tank or four to get a good measure. Fill up, set your trip meter to zero, go ride for a tank. Next time you fill up, divide your mileage used by the exact amount of fuel you just put into the bike. That'll tell you your proper MPG for that tank based on how much fuel you burned. Do a few tanks this way, pay attention to what kind of riding you're doing for each tank. (i'd also recommend this to everyone to test against your computer to verify its accuracy) And yeah your FZ07 should definitely do better than the ST! 

Also, what Angus said! Thanks for the feedback Angus.

I'm loving the flash!   The bike does what I expect it to do now.

I know that some people don't see the FZ-07 as a good beginners bike and I understand their opinion.  I really think that with a flash it's a much better option for a novice. The bike is so much smoother and predictable now, even the shifts are better. It's not neutered mind you, just smoother. ;)  

I've been riding for decades and I like the fact that I don't have to work so hard to be graceful anymore.  Now I can concentrate on improving my cornering skills.  :D

WHOOP! Just got back from a GOOD run. 67F nice day! I decided to remove both my intake snorkel and plate leaving the OEM filter in place. With the 2WDW flash and OEM exhaust it's perfect!

47 MPG now. Not sure if it's the removal of the intake restriction, just getting a better average, or the ECU just relearning, but the MPG is good now.

Going back out.....

Guest 2wheeler

I know that some people don't see the FZ-07 as a good beginners bike and I understand their opinion.  I really think that with a flash it's a much better option for a novice. The bike is so much smoother and predictable now, even the shifts are better. It's not neutered mind you, just smoother. ;)  
Yeah, I am one of the more out spoken ones about how bad the FZ-07 is for a beginner. Having said that, and personally having my FZ flashed, I think that it is a REALLY smart idea if you are a newbie to get your bike flashed ASAP. As you said, the flash makes the bike so much smoother as well as radically reducing the two things that can be a huge problem for a beginner - jerky power delivery and engine braking. It's amazing how much better they are after a 2WDW flash! 

Agreed, coming from a hell razing supermoto , my first ride on the fz-07 took me back a couple steps with how much torque it has. Any mod to smoothen the throttle transistions and power curve would be a most welcome and suggested modification a beginner or newer rider should invest in... then go up 2 teeth in the rear an do it all again.

• 4 weeks later...

Newbie question: what will going up two teeth in the rear do after having the ecu flashed? And would the ecu need reflashed if that is done?

Agreed, coming from a hell razing supermoto , my first ride on the fz-07 took me back a couple steps with how much torque it has. Any mod to smoothen the throttle transistions and power curve would be a most welcome and suggested modification a beginner or newer rider should invest in... then go up 2 teeth in the rear an do it all again.

Archived