The MT-07 Forum

Oil Overfilled?

philthyphil

I recently changed the oil on my FZ 07. I used a k&n oil filter and judging from appearances it looks to hold the same amount of oil as the factory filter. I put in the exact amount of oil recommended in the owners manual, 2.75 quarts. When looking in the oil window, with the bike level and warmed up, and after it has sat for 5 minutes or so the oil level looks to be just over the top line. Its about even with the very top of the viewing window, maybe a hair more. I haven't been to concerned about it, because this is exactly how it came from the factory as well. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a problem?

i think you're fine. id say thats like 1/4 cup more oil more than usual. i guess you could crack open the oil drain plug and drain a little bit? lol

I asked the same question some time ago in the same situation.
Ended up not doing anything about it and all is well.

Dude, the same 'exact' thing happened to me and no problems. It appears the Yamaha engineers got the size of the window wrong. Resume hell raising. P-)

Beemer

Think about it for a minute, do you actually think you completely removed all the oil from the bike when draining it? Of course not, so if you replace what the bike would hold dry then you will have more in the system than it was designed to indicate in it's window. To much oil can cause problems with crank windage, excess oil burning and combustion chamber deposits as a result of more oil being thrown off crank on to cylinder walls, increased drag and friction, increased oil temp resulting from this drag, friction. I had a young friend overfill (a lot) his SV-650, it had a slightly smoky exhaust and always smelled like burnt oil, after checking his level and lowering it, both symptoms cleared up. Will a little higher than the window top mark matter? I doubt it but might as well get it right next time.

Think about it for a minute, do you actually think you completely removed all the oil from the bike when draining it? Of course not, so if you replace what the bike would hold dry then you will have more in the system than it was designed to indicate in it's window. To much oil can cause problems with crank windage, excess oil burning and combustion chamber deposits as a result of more oil being thrown off crank on to cylinder walls, increased drag and friction, increased oil temp resulting from this drag, friction. I had a young friend overfill (a lot) his SV-650, it had a slightly smoky exhaust and always smelled like burnt oil, after checking his level and lowering it, both symptoms cleared up. Will a little higher than the window top mark matter? I doubt it but might as well get it right next time.
Yea, that does make sense. Next time I'll just put in a bit less!

Dude, the same 'exact' thing happened to me and no problems. It appears the Yamaha engineers got the size of the window wrong. Resume hell raising. P-)
Haha... Will do!!

Same thing happened to me. K&N filter, let it completely drain while on a rear stand. And put in less than 2.75 and it is slightly overfilled. Could have stopped at 2.5, which is probably about right. I'll just leave it until the next oil change.

Same thing happened to me. K&N filter, let it completely drain while on a rear stand. And put in less than 2.75 and it is slightly overfilled. Could have stopped at 2.5, which is probably about right. I'll just leave it until the next oil change.
Yea, I think on my next oil change I'm just gonna give her 2.5 quarts and call it good. It really bothers me having the oil over filled. The only reason that I'm not completely alarmed is because the bike came from the factory that way. 

I noticed on this bike and my CRF450 is exactly the same. The longer you leave the engine shut off the more the oil level raises. I warm mine up and then shut it off and let it sit about 1 or 2 minutes then check and it's always right smack in the middle. By 5 minutes it's already way over the full line. Check it before you start the engine and you'll notice it's way over full. As long as you put in the amount the manual says you should be good.

I'd say let it sit more then 5 min. to get an oil level. Owners manual says wait a few min. I've never just thrown in XX quantity into a vehicle. I always under fill, run engine, shut off, let it sit, then top off.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I'd say let it sit more then 5 min. to get an oil level. Owners manual says wait a few min. I've never just thrown in XX quantity into a vehicle. I always under fill, run engine, shut off, let it sit, then top off.
Agreed, however don't just run the cold engine shortly, the oil will take forever to settle unless it's warm.  If you top up on the cold engine it will be overfilled the next time it gets warm and settles for real.

Archived