The MT-07 Forum

Ohlins suspension upgrade. worth EVERY penny.

lilfuzzy

just got done installing the Ohlins 46DR1 Shock and NIX 22mm inserts.  for starters, anyone who has attempted to ride the 07 aggressively in canyons, track, etc.  knows the fz07s biggest downfall is its suspension.  its soft, sloshy, the geometry is WACK, and the front end wants to fight you while diving into corners.  however, aside from good tires (which should immediately be done after this mod for maximum effectiveness) there is a cure. This suspension upgrade will NOT leave you disappointed.  the rear shock raises the back end ride height by 4.5mm,  which puts the bike in a more aggressive stance and allows for a more "balanced" motorcycle in aggressive corners.  I did my first test today and holy cow is it a COMPLETELY different ride.  should you have any questions feel free to ask! here are a few post install picturesp><p> <a href=http://preview.ibb.co/mkMuov/IMG_0405.jpg' alt='IMG_0405.jpg'>

IMG_0417.jpg

free photo hosting for ebay

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

free gif pics

• Like 6

thanks man. a company called ERMAX makes the complete kit. they sell each piece individually can u can purchase it color matched right off the bat for each bike. No paint required :)

This feedback is good to hear.

I'm planning to do an ohlins rear shock first up (myself), then probably ohlins nix front end at a later date (suspension service). Did you install the cartridges yourself?

Your bike looks great (consider ermax rear cowl?).

This feedback is good to hear.  
I'm planning to do an ohlins rear shock first up (myself), then probably ohlins nix front end at a later date (suspension service). Did you install the cartridges yourself?

Your bike looks great (consider ermax rear cowl?).

You wont regret it bro. Yes i installed the cartridge myself. I bought the cowl but got rid of it because thats the one piece that fits like crap. I did a wheelie with it on and when my butt got oushed i to the the back part scratched that small tail piece just above the tail light

How much did the whole thing set you back??

I got a pretty good hookup through a friend who works for moto america but standard cost is around 1500ish

How is the rear shock hi velocity compression damping when hitting frost heaves or shallow man hole covers? I'm very interested in the suspension as the stock setup can be brutal on rougher roads and I'm pursuing alternate components so just looking for accurate and factual accounts. How much sag did you set on the rear and how much do you weigh? I can see from the pix which spring you're running. I'm surprised that the 4.5mm ride ht. increase was noticeable, was this a typo or an accurate measurement? I had to get up to around 12mm before the turn in became more neutral and am currently running around 20mm. Any more feedback in regards to your experiences is appreciated...Mark

How is the rear shock hi velocity compression damping when hitting frost heaves or shallow man hole covers? I'm very interested in the suspension as the stock setup can be brutal on rougher roads and I'm pursuing alternate components so just looking for accurate and factual accounts. How much sag did you set on the rear and how much do you weigh? I can see from the pix which spring you're running. I'm surprised that the 4.5mm ride ht. increase was noticeable, was this a typo or an accurate measurement? I had to get up to around 12mm before the turn in became more neutral and am currently running around 20mm. Any more feedback in regards to your experiences is appreciated...Mark
Mark,

Great questions.  I will answer from top to bottom.  As far as frost heaves go, I can't give you an accurate answer. I live in southern california so we dont get things like that.  same with shallow manhole covers i avoid anything resembling that.  rear sag was set at 6mm under bike weight and 30mm with rider.  front was set at 14mm under bike weight with 40mm rider weight.  I weigh 168 lbs.  the ride heigh increase of 4.5mm was noticeable because as the stock rear ride height sits compared to that adjustment its right on that threshold.  this was indeed an accurate measurement.  now all that being said.  i did a general setup I have yet to put the bike through FULL testing to correct problems as they arise but in medium paced curvy roads (enough to get a knee down but not ludicrous speed i.e. 45-60 mph) the bike felt MUCH better over stock.  like a night and day difference.  should you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask.  

lilfuzzy1, thank you for the info, I really appreciate it. When you get a chance, hit a small bump or two and let us know what you think of the damping. I don't get my knees down but occasionally can't avoid the bumps and need something a bit more compliant, thanks and will be interested in any more ride reports...Mark

• Like 1

well I mean ive hit blemishes in the road, speed bumps and all that.   it has a more aggressive feeling over stock but its a TON more controlled.  the stock suspension has HORRIBLY sloshy rebound.

STG's advertised price not-withstanding (they are still showing 2016 price) the 2017 NIX-22 is $749, the shock is $575 = 1324. Everyone is supposed to be following the orders from on high and selling at MSRP, no exceptions. That said, there are ways to charge full rate on the invoice and still "provide value".

There are 2 big threads in the Suspension section on shock and fork upgrade options.

The NIX-22 is a DIY install. I do strongly recommend running a light 10cSt@40 oil in the 'C' leg, if street use.

• Like 2
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 6 years later...
AdamKareem87

I have just installed the rear ohlins unit. Rear end is way more planted and inspires way more confidence riding especially for a novice like myself.

Edited by AdamKareem87
  • Like 1