The MT-07 Forum

Akrapovic Carbon DB Killer Removed --- How Loud?

philthyphil

So I installed my Akrapovic Carbon exhaust system on my FZ 07 a few days ago, and because my ECU is not with the bike, and won't be back with the bike until Wednesday (being flashed), I haven't even been able to hear it. I removed the DB killer straight away before even attaching the muffler to the system. My main reason for doing this is because of the supposed gains up top that can be had from removing the DB killer, rather than supposed gains down low from leaving it in. I feel like the bike has plenty down low, and could use a little more oomph up top. 

I know I'll be hearing it for myself on Wednesday, and if it is too outrageous I'll put the DB killer back in, but I'm just wondering from those of you who have this system installed, with the DB killer removed, how loud is it? Is it acceptable, or is it just like stupid loud?

I don't think it's too loud. I ride with supermoto guys that run baffle out and we're approximately the same decibel level I would guess. Mine is just more of a throaty low growl, which I like.

It is not as obnoxious as some H-D like motorcycle exhausts (nothing against them, but some are ear-killers!).

If anything, use earplugs. :))

Safe riding!

it's music to my ears...lol ear plugs are good even without an exhaust because of helmet/wind buffeting.
If only someone would make a helmet or something that attaches to a helmet that makes a seal between the neck and the helmet that blocks the wind from rushing in. I can't imagine it being too hard to do, I have ideas myself.  

Beemer

it's music to my ears...lol ear plugs are good even without an exhaust because of helmet/wind buffeting.
If only someone would make a helmet or something that attaches to a helmet that makes a seal between the neck and the helmet that blocks the wind from rushing in. I can't imagine it being too hard to do, I have ideas myself.
like an extended wind proof chin skirt.

it gives me an eargasem overtime i start my bike. even better when you rev match !!!!
I can't wait. I'm dying waiting for my ECU to get back. I guess they had a blizzard in Seattle which is holding my ECU hostage within the postal system. I want to hear the exhaust, and feel the affects of the ECU flash and exhaust SOOOO bad!

it gives me an eargasem overtime i start my bike. even better when you rev match !!!!
I can't wait. I'm dying waiting for my ECU to get back. I guess they had a blizzard in Seattle which is holding my ECU hostage within the postal system. I want to hear the exhaust, and feel the affects of the ECU flash and exhaust SOOOO bad!
dude the ecu flash is lit the second best mod i did to my bike first being the exhaust ahhah

AlbatrossCafe
It's true. We have had more snow here in the last 2 days than I've seen in 6 or 7 years. It should be back to normal by tomorrow though. 
It is not as loud as big V-twin exhausts, that's for sure. But after commuting 40 min each way for the last 5000 miles, I can say I want to put the baffle back in. It sounds so good with it out, but even with earplugs, it is too much for the every-day commuter (at least for me).

As far as top-end vs low-end gains, I actually felt it was better low-end with baffle out lol. My work office is about 2 min from two wheel dynoworks so i have gotten (free) reflashes from them 3 times. TBH as is with most "street" engine mods, the difference is mostly too small to notice.

I left the db-killer in. Post exhaust install and pre ECU flash my GPS verified top speed was 120mph (that I was brave enough to look down at). My ECU has been flashed by 2WDW since then, so I'm curious to see how that changes if at all. May find out this weekend.

I'll second the opinion that the exhaust sounds amazing especially on rev match downshifting.

It's true. We have had more snow here in the last 2 days than I've seen in 6 or 7 years. It should be back to normal by tomorrow though. 
It is not as loud as big V-twin exhausts, that's for sure. But after commuting 40 min each way for the last 5000 miles, I can say I want to put the baffle back in. It sounds so good with it out, but even with earplugs, it is too much for the every-day commuter (at least for me).

As far as top-end vs low-end gains, I actually felt it was better low-end with baffle out lol. My work office is about 2 min from two wheel dynoworks so i have gotten (free) reflashes from them 3 times. TBH as is with most "street" engine mods, the difference is mostly too small to notice.

Lucky that you live so close to 2wdw. I live in California. I shipped my ECU off 8 days ago and I still don't have it back... Arhg! I'm having riding withdraws! Plus my bike has just been sitting in my garage for the past week with a brand new exhaust and all I can do is look at it! 

Archived