The MT-07 Forum

New Guy Debating Buying FZ07

segm3nt

Good Day All,

Yeah its superbowl sunday, and im on the cusp of thinking of buying another motorcycle. I currently own a Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS. I am debating between a FZ-07 and an XSR900. My heart was set on the XSR900 for awhile, but Im starting to fall for the FZ-07... it looks so sweet and the review say its all the bike you really need. I personally would love the XSR900 but I am strongly debating the FZ-07 due to price and its just a sweet looking bike too. My worries are, I look huge on my vulcan S, I am 6'1" and 195lbs, not that it matters but I work out, not really a fat guy but more lean. I dont want to look like a clown riding on a small bike. The FZ-07 is a lil bigger than my vulcan s I think, but I could use some more help and opinions to push me over the edge. Any input guys? Its appreciated.

R/S,
Travis

Mmhhh... I was sort of in the same position, but because I wanted to save up money I ended on the FZ07... if not, I'd be a 2017 FZ-09 or XSR900 guy due to the slipper clutch, riding modes, more torque and power, exhaust sound, quickshifter on the FZ-09... the list would go on... hehehe.

The FZ-07 you'll find the body position is sportier, so you can lean easier and play around on the seat and with the throttle (nice torque). I am having fun now and if anything, in a couple years or 3 I may upgrade to a 3 cylinder (the new Triumph Street Triple is the other option, ?).

Safe riding!

Lots of bigger guys here riding 07s and lovin them. 07 is very comfortable and ... yet ... still sporty. You can't really go wrong with the price and resale is great.

Its not a big motorcycle and you will look big on it but who cares. You won't because you'll have the biggest grin ever on your face roaring down the highway.

My mirrors only show me the traffic around me so I have no idea how my 6' 260lb frame looks on mine. I like to think that if the ladies squint hard enough they'll perceive me as this. Though my bike is black, not white, though in the sun the soon to be installed silver panels might help.

UFC.jpg

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

The Fz-07 is a great bike, but I picked it (over the 3 cyl yamahas) because the motor is wider on the 900 - which bugged me while sitting at stoplights etc. If I were a bigger guy, I'd have picked the 900.

I'll be honest, if I were taller, I'd have a XSR900 right now. Too bad I'm short and that bike wasn't made for short guys.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Guest 2wheeler
I'll be honest, if I were taller, I'd have a XSR900 right now. Too bad I'm short and that bike wasn't made for short guys.
Ditto that 
Where being short really kicks my butt is on modern dirt bikes. I ended up going the vintage dirt bike route due to height issues. Heck, if I were tall enough, I would still be on a KTM 300 EXC or KTM 300 XC-W.

I don't think the bike makes anyone look bigger. The first pics I saw of myself (5' 8" @ 197#) on my FZ-07 gave me the impression the bike was low and stumpy because of the short wheel base, not that it made me look like a clown on a tiny mini bike. (although I am one P-) ) I get a fair amount of verbal compliments on the bike and even more of the silent, bug-eyed, jaws dropped compliments on it so I wouldn't sweat it. You're taller than me but you have to look a little thinner unless you have a Charlie Brown type head which I doubt you do. ;) I suggest to take a test ride on one and any thoughts of how you look will most likely be pushed to the side by thoughts of WOW! Kid you not.

Beemer

I really appreciate the time you guys took to reply. Yeah Im thinking in a month or so, I will be taking one out for a test drive. Though my heart yearned for the XSR900... I am starting to see myself on the FZ-07.

I decided that for all logical reasons should have gotten the FZ-09, but just felt drawn to the FZ-07 more. Just felt happier after my test ride with the 07 than the 09. I say drive anything you're even halfway considering and let the heart decide.

Archived