The MT-07 Forum

First crash, several questions

aginsba1

I picked up the bike today after getting the rear rim and tire replaced and as I'm getting on the freeway entrance ramp, I give it a bit of throttle and the rear tire slides right out from under me. I slid about 15-20 feet with the bike in front of me until the bike came to a rest on the grass next to the ramp.

I'm fine, my gear took the brunt of the slide, some road rash on my knee but otherwise I'm okay. The bike I'm not so sure about, the frame/bar end sliders took the brunt of the impact. My shift lever is bent in and I'll need to replace it. The thing I'm most concerned about is this stuff:

IMAG0382.jpg
IMAG0384.jpg

Its some thick black sludge next to the shift lever, below the engine case. Is this engine oil? How can I be sure?

Also, I've got rhinomoto bar ends and R&G frame sliders, is there some place I can buy just replacement pucks?

That  black grunge is normal road muck and chain lube flung off the chain at the front sprocket, nothing to worry about. (if you pull that plastic cover off and look inside and around the sprocket youll see gobs of it) Replacement parts can be had from several sources on line. 

yep, chain spooge,

If ya got a propane torch, that lever can be bent back to working order until you get a replacement. Once red hot, it'll bend easily. It's steel, so it'll bend cold as well w/o snapping. it's just easier with heat. After you have the right position 9 or close enough), heat it one more time and quench in cold water.

glad yer OK. bike bits can always be replaced.

Glad to hear you had some gear on. Were you wearing riding pants? Just wondering how you got rash on your knee.

Glad to hear you are ok!!

New tires... they have that very slippery first layer you have to ride off... extreme caution with low temperatures and humidity or water. If you want to have it removed faster, sand it.

Hope you were wearing protective clothing!

Safe riding!

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Glad your not seriously hurt. You may have lost traction because your NEW rear tire was not "scrubbed in" yet and was still slick.

Thanks for the well wishes and advice guys. The new tire was definitely slick, there was a visible film of oil on it. Just damn, it was the slightest lean over.

I was wearing nearly full gear (jacket, helmet, gloves, boots), didn't own riding pants, was just wearing denim jeans. The first new piece of gear I picked out were Klim K Fifty 1 jeans.

Ah well, parts ordered, gear ordered, most importantly I'm okay, shit happens.

Thanks for the well wishes and advice guys. The new tire was definitely slick, there was a visible film of oil on it. Just damn, it was the slightest lean over.  
I was wearing nearly full gear (jacket, helmet, gloves, boots), didn't own riding pants, was just wearing denim jeans. The first new piece of gear I picked out were Klim K Fifty 1 jeans.

Ah well, parts ordered, gear ordered, most importantly I'm okay, shet happens.

That is the attitude! We learn from these experiences, you'll be more careful for sure! :)

Safe riding!

pineappleunderthesea

I think some parts of tires are molded, not unlike plastic parts. Many plastics have mold release so it doesn't stick to the mold, and lots of places will freely spray silicone all over the mold for stubborn parts.

So I wonder if the slickness is due to mold release that stays at the surface. If so, you'd think something like wiping with alcohol would help remove it.

Glad to hear you're ok. I think that you'll like the Klim Fifty 1. I wore those today for my first ride (110 miles 'ish) and they felt great. You will need to adjust the knee pads a bit at first to get them in place, but otherwise I felt that the jeans were perfect with the single exception of the legs being a touch on the long side and the crotch a smidge short.

Archived