The MT-07 Forum

Opinion on frame sliders?

titleist32

So I just picked up my bike. First one ever and I am very excited but have a ton of questions. I have been a car guy for a very long time and just getting into bikes. I am curious what everyones take on frame slider are? (spools as well etc). I am thinking about investing in some but I am not sure honestly. I hear good and bad things. Who makes some solid stuff for our bikes in that category though? Thanks for everyones input.

I think frame sliders are great for tip over/low speed drops. It'll probably be useful if you're going to practice wheelies/etc. But for better protection imo is engine case sliders. I saw a bunch of vids of guys getting into accidents and the stater cover cracks, which their frame sliders did nothing. If they had engine case sliders at least they wouldn't have to tow the bike, though they would have to jimmy-rig a new shifter pedal on the spot.

beyond that, frame or engine case sliders will do nothing in high speed accidents.

I personally don't have either. too broke -.-

• Premium Member

An external "roll-cage" around the entire bike and rider would probably work best. But, there are always compromises as to what we are willing to stick on our vehicles, of all sorts, for protection against something we hope is a remote possibility. Go for whatever you are comfortable with and don't look back!

• Global Moderator

I got frame sliders because I thought it looked like something was missing with the exposed engine bolts. I have not had to test them out...hopefully I never will.

AlbatrossCafe

I have woodcraft frame sliders with the "pucks" that you can swap out: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/woodcraft-frame-slider-base-yamaha-fz-07-2015-2016

Haven't crashed yet, but my favorite part of the sliders are putting my feet up on them as "forward pegs". I look like I am curled in a ball while riding*

*Note: not recommended for new riders, around traffic, or for more than ~2 minutes

• Premium Member

Vagabond Motorsports makes some beautiful frame sliders. No branding, easy application.

They're also a vendor, last time I checked they had a discount code.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

I personally avoid all frame sliders or pucks that require an engine mount bolt location be installed... I would rather use case savers like T-Rex racing or few others...I have dropped my bike years ago at 25 mph with no frame sliders or case savers, only damage was scuffed up bar end, scuffed up foot peg, a tiny tiny scrape on the black gas tank cover and the water pump housing...I feel it's far cheaper to replace a few $35 plastic panel than to have a frame slider potentially mess up an engine mount bolt or bolt area...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I feel it's far cheaper to replace a few $35 plastic panel than to have a frame slider potentially mess up an engine mount bolt or bolt area...
That's why I prefer the Vagabond style.  In a very low-speed drop the slider sacrificed itself with not even a scratch on the frame or trans cover.

Vagabond Motorsports makes some beautiful frame sliders. No branding, easy application.  
They're also a vendor, last time I checked they had a discount code.

@vagabondms is no longer a supporting vendor of this forum. I didn't kick em out, they requested to leave the program, not sure why.

Please check some of our other Vendors. @stoltecmoto is a kickass Vendor, so is @bellissimoto and I think they carry sliders. And, they still support this forum and have occasional discounts just for us members!

I appreciate everyone's help. Personally I like the idea of tha vagabond due to the fact they don't extend the engine mounting bolts. So many decisions. It's getting complicated fast

• Premium Member

I have OES front, mid, and back-(spools), havent tested them out (thankfully) but they seem like solid quality. Decide if you want front and rear stands too (I recommend for convenient servicing of the chain etc) and if they will be used with regular paddock or spool style rear sliders.
A vendor here also has a great cage ... http://higdonion.com/products/fz07-protection-cage-and-skid-plate
and another company's offering... http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Becker-Engine-Guard--Yamaha-MT-07-FZ07_p_4700.html

As you've probably already discovered, prices can get pretty ridiculous for these sliders. Keep us posted.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I have OES front, mid, and back-(spools), havent tested them out (thankfully) but they seem like solid quality. Decide if you want front and rear stands too (I recommend for convenient servicing of the chain etc) and if they will be used with regular paddock or spool style rear sliders. A vendor here also has a great cage ... http://higdonion.com/products/fz07-protection-cage-and-skid-plate
and another company's offering... http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Becker-Engine-Guard--Yamaha-MT-07-FZ07_p_4700.html

As you've probably already discovered, prices can get pretty ridiculous for these sliders. Keep us posted.

YES! How could I forget! @higdonion and @motomachines ! I forget sometimes who carries which product, sorry guys!

I have OES front, mid, and back-(spools), havent tested them out (thankfully) but they seem like solid quality. Decide if you want front and rear stands too (I recommend for convenient servicing of the chain etc) and if they will be used with regular paddock or spool style rear sliders. A vendor here also has a great cage ... http://higdonion.com/products/fz07-protection-cage-and-skid-plate

YES! How could I forget! @higdonion and @motomachines ! I forget sometimes who carries which product, sorry guys!

you cant go wrong with any of our vendors, they are fz07 experts.

The bligdonion stuff looks awesome but I'm not ready to drop that kind of cash. I think OES is my best option for now after a lot of thought.

The bligdonion stuff looks awesome but I'm not ready to drop that kind of cash. I think OES is my best option for now after a lot of thought.
+1 on OES. I went with them and the quality is great and very simple to install. Put them on before my track day last summer, Thankfully it went well so I can't tell you how well they hold up in a crash.

Archived