The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 CCT issues?

patman

I've heard about the FZ-09 having CCT problems.Does the FZ-07 suffer from this too?Should I toss a manual one at it?I was going to trade my 07 off but I'm having second thoughts.Might just have the computer flashed,install sliders,do a manual CCT,and keep it another year.Then get a CB1000R next year.

"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy".
Benjamin Franklin.

I think I read somewhere that it was very early production 09's that had the problem but Yamaha later fixed it. I've not heard of or seen any threads on the 07 having that problem. I wouldn't worry about the CCT unless you have problems with it. Then if you do let Yamaha take care of it or if you catch the problem early enough and Yamaha won't fix it, install a manual one.

There is a kit you can buy and flash the ECU yourself. Link I didn't know there was such thing until I watched the ECU tuning video on Youtube by Jake Thegardensnake. He bought one of those kits and then just used the dynojet powercommander maps in it. Wish I would have found that before buying the PCV. It looks like a much easier option and you don't have to take half the bike apart to install it.

I'd just send it to vcyclenut or whatever and have him do it.He'll reflash for free if I make changes (exhaust etc).I'm not real computer savvy so I'd rather have some one who knows what he's doing do it.Funny.I just watched that same video tonight (Jake The Garden Snake).I was just wondering about the CCT.I still can't decide if I'm gonna trade my bike off or not.If not I better get the computer off for reflash and get some parts ordered.A couple more months it'll be riding season here.

Benjamin Franklin.

• Premium Member

Help out a Luddite... what is CCT? Computer issues of some sort, I take it.

A CCT is a cam chain tensioner.It's really a timing chain tensioner but a lot of people refer to it as a cam chain tensioner.I think it's a European thing.

Benjamin Franklin.

• Premium Member

Thanks, patman & markster... an entire (lengthy) lifetime of mechcano-craziness and still something "new."

No problem, my DRZ 400 was reputed to have premature cam chain wear from it's cct so when doing some hop up work I installed a manual unit and never looked back, I believe on the -07 you have to also plug off the cct oil pressure galley, for racing it may be a good idea to install a manual unit...they don't mess up.

Yeah I put one on my DRZ400SM.After about 1000 miles it started to rattle again.Readjusted and after several thousand miles it was fine.No more rattle.Maybe a bit too tight the first time around and wore the timing chain guide?I was just wondering if there was a problem with them on the FZ-07.Still thinking about trading 07 for an 09 and I know the 09 has had problems with the CCT/TCT.Most peolple say it was just the early models but I've heard different.They all say do it.Just in case.If I decide to keep the 07 I'll probably do one.Just in case.

Benjamin Franklin.

• 1 year later...

markstertt did you installed it yet?

whaths are your settings.

i know, that id depends on chain guide wear, but anyway just to compare

IMG_20190130_170435.jpg

• Premium Member

In all honesty the CCT from the CP3 platform is overblown...vast majority of owners didn't like the "normal" mechanical noises it made( various reasons why such as running full-syth oil instead of reg ole Yamaha Lube oil, not used to hearing mechanical noises, etc)... One or 2 people have destroyed the engine by trying to either modify the stock CCT or kept tighten the manual CCT to eliminate any chattering/ticking...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived