The MT-07 Forum

Just looking to improve the sound, not performance! Help ;_;

Musical Motorist

Musical Motorist

This is my second exhaust post -- Ugh, this is so frustrating! All I'm looking for is an improvement to the sound of the stock exhaust -- I rode it down the road today without my helmet (the one and only time!) and I'm finding the sound so lacking. That said, all I want is a nicer sound. I'm not looking to gain an extra HP and I'd like to keep my MPG if at all possible. I'm open to the idea of slip-ons, but I realize they need to be cut (not that I'm planning to sell the bike  :P ). I did a post recently on the IXIL, but I'm just wanting to spend my money right. I also realize that most people suggest that you tune the engine and the ECU flash seems to be the way to go for modding even if you keep the stock; are there local shops that do this or is this something you absolutely have to mail in and if so: who to ask? 

Thanks in advance -- I realize these questions may have been answered elsewhere, but this community is so rich in experience I just hope to direct the advice towards me so I can find my way!

Most local shops are not gonna have the Fz-07 ecu tuning equipment. An akrapovic titanium with the baffle in or yoshi with a baffle in says you don't need any fuel add ons or ecu changes but I can guarantee you that you are gonna wanna do at minimum the EJK so you can cheaply get your bike running smooth , any aftermarket exhaust is gonna lean out the bike and make it run hotter and more labored. Doebecks stage 1 kits are
Maybe gonna be your best bet. Super easy install and setup too.

You can drill holes in the stock exhaust to improve the noise. Lots of information on the net and youtube, e.g:

Benefits - cheap, better noise than standard.
Drawbacks: irreversible, not as good as sound of an aftermarket system, perhaps lower resale value.

All that said, you can find many standard exhaust systems for sale for cheap to use for this mod. Regardless of what you hear and read you won't need to change the fueling if you simply drill the standard exhaust.

Others have said this and it makes good sense if you want to do it right. Keep your stock exhaust un mollested in case for some unforeseen reason in the future you want to sell your bike with the original equipment. You won't miss a couple hundred extra spent on a 'good' full system (it's survivable, lol!). I'm not rich but I'm totally happy with my Akra, carbon fiber pipe and I'm still here, spendin' $$$ lika fool! :P

BTW, you want your bike sounding bad-ass, right? Drilled doesn't sound bad-ass and IMO, it looks cheap. GL!

Beemer

Others have said this and it makes good sense if you want to do it right. Keep your stock exhaust un mollested in case for some unforeseen reason in the future you want to sell your bike with the original equipment. You won't miss a couple hundred extra spent on a 'good' full system (it's survivable, lol!). I'm not rich but I'm totally happy with my Akra, carbon fiber pipe and I'm still here, spendin' $$$ lika fool! :P 
BTW, you want your bike sounding bad-ass, right? Drilled doesn't sound bad-ass and IMO, it looks cheap. GL!

I would have to agree. I went with a full system over a slip on/modded stock so that the bike can always be returned to stock incase one day I decide to sell it. I picked up a full Leo Vince for <600$ from https://www.omniaracing.net/ and I've been pleased with it so far. I've drilled stock pipes before but they never turn out sounding much better than stock.

Musical Motorist

Thank you all for your comments. The other thing is that if I ever decide to move I want to be compliant with the law (little old me and my FZ-07...complying with the law  :D ) That said, I see that the akra titanium, while expensive, is also catalytic convertor ready even though it's sold separately but also that you don't technically have to re-tune immediately? The other thing is that with the baffle in the idling isn't too loud but it definitely changes the tone especially when accelerating. I'm not the expert though and would love to hear other thoughts on this because if it's true (and feel free to offer other suggestions) my plan would be:

Akra Titanium + Catalytic converter 
Save up money
ECU flash 

Thank you all for your comments. The other thing is that if I ever decide to move I want to be compliant with the law (little old me and my FZ-07...complying with the law  :D ) That said, I see that the akra titanium, while expensive, is also catalytic convertor ready even though it's sold separately but also that you don't technically have to re-tune immediately? The other thing is that with the baffle in the idling isn't too loud but it definitely changes the tone especially when accelerating. I'm not the expert though and would love to hear other thoughts on this because if it's true (and feel free to offer other suggestions) my plan would be: 
Akra Titanium + Catalytic converter 
Save up money
ECU flash 

I have the Akra Ti and ECU flash on mine. I have run both baffle in and out (currently out). Baffle in does sound good and when you open it up. You can tell its not stock,but nothing to blow you away with. 
Now I live where I do not have to get my bike inspected so don't take this as law,but I know of others that ride in smog check areas that do not run cats on their bikes and have never been flagged. IMO unless you must prove and show you have a cat I wouldn't spend the money on it,but I am a bit of a hooligan when it comes to engine and exhaust mods...

Musical Motorist

Reboot, that's good to know. I wonder if it's something that if I absolutely needed (the cat) I could get it later on...? How much of a hassle would it be to uninstall the exhaust and input the cat the Akra provides?  

Also, I'm glad to hear that you like the Akra :) Do I need to get the ECU flashed right away or is that something I can save up for later? I imagine you noticed a performance difference once you got the ECU flash, but I just want to ride xD I also realize you have to wait several days for the tuning itself, so I want to plan accordingly...

Do I need to get the ECU flashed right away or is that something I can save up for later? I imagine you noticed a performance difference once you got the ECU flash, but I just want to ride xD I also realize you have to wait several days for the tuning itself, so I want to plan accordingly...
No you don't need the flash right away, or even at all.  
I recently fitted the akra ti system, (baffle in, no cat), sounds great and adds performance you can feel (particularly upper rev range). But the throttle response is not quite as crisp down lower as it is standard with standard exhaust, an ecu tune would address this but you won't do any harm riding it around in the meantime.

Just got on the forum, my first reply to something here, so forgive me if i babbled a little.
If you're just looking for sound, maybe look into getting a Delkevic like I did. Cheap, sounds much better than stock, but not so loud that you cant ride at night in the neighborhood. They have a few sizes and you can go with carbon or stainless steel, it's up to you. Some people don't like the big can on the side and prefer the low profile Akra or Yoshi, but personally I don't mind it. Definitely worth the money, IMO. The one I have is the 14" stainless. I had the carbon one before but it was defective and started melting and burning on the outside. I called them, they asked for pictures, which I sent, and they shipped me a new stainless one that same day, which I got a day later. I asked for a stainless one cause I didn't want to risk getting another defective carbon one and having it melt again. Great service experience. Would definitely recommend for people who don't have the money for an Akra or Yoshi.

If you're curious what it looks like.

14264239_10157421495375367_8998134185595497548_n.jpg

Archived