The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust Leaks After Exhaust Self Install

philthyphil

So I just finished replacing my stock exhaust with an Akrapovic Carbon system. I did all the work myself and the job went smoothly. The only thing that I'm not sure about is the torque on the nuts holding the flanges down at the exhaust ports. They call for 16 ft lbs. Unfortunately all I had access to was one of the scale, or beam type torque wrenches. The gauge on mine doesn't do real good with lower values like 16 ft lbs. The metric scale is easier to read so I converted the 16 ft lbs over to 2.21 meter-kilos and ball parked it that way. I'm worried that they may be a tad over-tight. I probably have them all torqued to about 2.5 ish meter-kilos. I used new gaskets, and every thing looks kosher. How crucial is it that these be torqued to the exact spec? Am I running the risk of having exhaust leaks? Would it matter if there were tiny exhaust leaks there? Sorry for all the questions but I'm total noob at this!

I can't start the bike right now and check anything because I don't currently have possession of the ECU. It is en-route to 2wheeldynoworks for flashing. 

IMG_20170203_193141.jpg

free photo uploads

I wouldn't worry at all. Good to hear that you're using some sort of torque measurement (as you should!) and new gaskets.

The real risk with exhaust manifold nuts is over-tightening and snapping the threaded stud. Anyone who's done that will know that severe swearing follows...

I'm sure it will be fine.

You would probably have to use all your strength to over tighten them to the point of causing a leak, don't sweat it.

Beemer

I wouldn't worry at all. Good to hear that you're using some sort of torque measurement (as you should!) and new gaskets. 
The real risk with exhaust manifold nuts is over-tightening and snapping the threaded stud. Anyone who's done that will know that severe swearing follows...

I'm sure it will be fine.
Sweet, thanks! I'm always anxious about stuff like this. Don't wanna hurt my baby! lol. Glad to hear that it doesn't have to be torqued to like 100% accurate specs.

• 1 month later...

Hi all- I wanted to tag along this thread. It's my first post.
Just installed the same system last night.

Have a question about header install; I tried to slide in the headers into the exhaust ports. They do not sit completely flush. Is this user error. I'll try to post a pict.

Archived