The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 for my first bike?

moonlit

Wow, that's so much for the input from everyone. I'll 100% be taking the MSF course, and I'll look into the ECU flashed by 2WDW, as recommended by @2wheeler, once again, thanks everyone for the input. Got a lot more response than I thought I would ?

I'll keep y'all updated as to what I decide over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
-nick

Hi Nick, 
I'm likely to hear some crap for what I'm going to say, but I ABSOLUTELY do not consider the FZ-07 a starter bike. That comes with one big exception, and that is if you have some serious experience riding dirt motorcycles, and fairly powerful ones at that.

The two problems with the FZ-07 for a newbie are the right-off-idle torque and the engine braking. You don't need to look far on youtube to see that the FZ-07 is a wheelie monster. That can translate into easily and accidentally popping wheelies in at least 1st gear when you seriously do not want to. Regardless of you flipping the bike, it would be easy for you to get out of control in bad places like right in the middle of an intersection during rush hour. The engine braking could also get you in serious trouble if you let the clutch out with the bike being in a much lower gear than you thought you were in. While compared to other bikes, the FZ-07's 75 horsepower may not seem like a lot, but it is the power delivery that makes this bike a potential wreck waiting to happen for a newbie.

I have no idea what your riding experience is, but if you are a guy who knows how to ride a motorcycle by riding friend's bikes but has never owned a motorcycle, I would consider going the 250-500cc route, and defintely buy used, then upgrade in a year. If you are a dirt bike guy, and have owned either 2-stroke MX bikes or big 4-stroke MX bikes, well have at it and enjoy the heck out of your new FZ-07.

If you decide to get one and you are a true newbie, I would highly recommend getting the ECU flashed by 2WDW (2 Wheel DynoWorks) after you get the bike. They are a vendor on this forum, and they will tweak your computer (ECU) where the power hit is smoothed out and the engine braking is cut in half. It is an awesome upgrade that is worth every penny. It makes the bike much more rideable.

Whatever you end up doing, ride safe.

I bought the FZ-07 as my first bike, as well as many many other people have, and I haven't had any problems. I'd never sat on a two wheeled motor vehicle of any kind other than a mini-bike before purchasing and riding the FZ-07 right off the dealership lot. I agree. The throttle response can be abrupt and yes the bike does have the potential to easily pop wheelies, but I think with a little common sense the FZ-07 is a great starter bike. One that will keep you entertained long after gaining some experience and confidence. As long as a person is mindful of the caveats and respects those caveats I think it is a better choice than a 250-500, because you'd probably be more likely to keep a hold of the FZ 07 for a longer period versus getting bored with a smaller starter bike and having to upgrade. This is just my opinion based off my own experience off course.  
Oh, and to the OP... I also weighed just north of 250 lbs when I bought the bike. It hasn't had any problems scooting my hefty butt around!

This is the bike I was talking about; http://www.mmsroswell.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=2760381 .. 37,866 miles, $5,895. I feel like i'd get a better value off of putting a few extra dollars up and getting a new one, Thoughts?

Edit: When I say "new" I mean 2016 with 0 miles. ( http://www.mmsmallofga.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=2847219&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&sq=FZ-07&fr=xNewInventory )

Also, On the insurance situation, I got quoted (By progressive, with a 2016 FZ-07) for $35 per month. Which will save me a ton, considering I'm paying over $250 with my car.

• Global Moderator
Also, On the insurance situation, I got quoted (By progressive, with a 2016 FZ-07) for $35 per month. Which will save me a ton, considering I'm paying over $250 with my car.
Just remember if yiu're planning to finance, you're gonna be looking at full coverage.... that 35/mo seems quite low

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

All my opinion...

FZ-07 for first bike? For sure if you accept the fact you might drop a newer bike. I know I had no problem with it as my first bike. I do have a lot of experience with fast cars that could bite of not careful so that likely helps. 

Start riding at 19 years old? I feel like this is too young to start riding on the street. Staying safe is far more on your ability to read drivers and being able to predict what they're going to do before they do it by reading little signs. If you've only been driving for ~3 years I don't think that's enough for you to have learned all the key things that will tip you off as to their next move. Such as someone slowing for no reason when they're looking for a street to turn on and they might not even know if they're going left or right at that street. Someone drifting in there lane before making a lane change.

Your ability to predict what others on the road are going to do is the greatest asset you can have to keep yourself alive while riding.

Again just my opinion...

And 100% take an MSF course before you start riding 

Archived