The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 2662 mile long distance review and tips

dravyck

ktCUM8z.jpg

First things first. If this is in the wrong forum I won't be offended if the mods move it to the appropriate section.

Now, this review is about how well the FZ07 can handle long distances and tips on how you can handle it as well.

The plan was to drive from Fresno California to Estes Park Colorado, spend a week there and drive back. I was giving myself 2 days of travel one way. Approximately 600 miles a day.

I'll start off with the accessories I used because they did alter the ride in a significant way.

Puig Universal Windscreen
I was desperate for wind protection before this trip so I went with the thing I thought would work best. In a nutshell, this thing does that job, it keeps the wind off your chest, its not tall enough to keep it off your head but you eventually get used to the beating you take. Due to the cluttered handle bars the screen will be lopsided no matter how you set it up. Just drive up and down the highway and keep adjusting it until your like what you get. As soon as the Puig fz07 specific windscreen comes out, I'm getting that.

Throttle Lock
I needed one, after 100 miles my hand is done, plus its such an awesome experience riding the bike hands free for 20 miles at a time.

Tank bag
In my opinion this is the go-to tank bag. Plenty big enough for wallet, phone, water, snacks, chap stick, headphones, a few tools. I even put my hat in it. It hugs the tank so well that I accidentally tightened over my digital camera on the tank(I still have no idea how that happened) and I drove 140 miles only to find the camera fall off the tank as I was getting gas. 

Power: This bike really does have it. I "cruzed" at 80 mph on average, plenty of miles at 85 and 90. Tucking behind the screen you hear only the pur of this little power house chugging along. I didnt have an issue and couldnt ask for more horsepower. The day before I left I changed my oil from 20w50 to Rotella t6, and it performed flawlessly. It's pretty dark now, but thats to be expected

Comfort: Here is where an after market seat and a throttle lock comes into play. This seat is comfy, but after 100 miles it starts to get to me. I'd spend about 10 minutes standing up, not only is it exhilarating and entertaining to all the cagers and truckers, it gives your legs and ass a break from their position. The throttle lock was great for those miles that seemed to never end. It allowed me to adjust my clothing and gear and sit back break up the stiffness my body experienced. The vibration wasn't bad, 75 mph and you won't have a problem, 85 mph and above and you will feel a little tingly during gas breaks.

Luggage Capacity: Aside from the tank bag I carried a standard duffel bag, packed it with a weeks worth of clothes climbing gear and tools, and bungied that bad boy as my passenger. The only difference I noticed in the bike was acceleration, handling was barely affected.

Gas Mileage: The majority of the 2662 miles was on the highway. I averaged 52 mpg. Can't really complain about that. 

So, in my opinion, a windscreen to keep the wind off your chest is pretty necessary, as well as a throttle lock. The luggage can be rigged up easily. The small gas tank and seat comfort limited me to 100 mile stretches, I'd gas up and take about 10 minutes then hit the road. Going 85 mph is pretty intense and it does take alot out of you, traveling at  70-75 is much more reasonable and with a good seat I see people easily doing an iron butt on this bike. I probably could have done 1000 miles the very first day but traveling through Utah at 6000 feet brings cold weather at night, which I didn't really think about, which leads me to my next point. Just because its 100 degrees in Fresno doesnt mean its not 50 degrees in Beaver, Utah. Bring cold weather gear, bring rain gear, bring layers and know the weather of the areas youre going to be driving through. Any long distance motorcycle faq will tell you all these things, and I read them before, but I guess for really stubborn people like myself, you have to experience it for yourself.

Question away

82 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim Black (Passed Away)
15 Yamaha FZ-07 White

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

I still don't understand the whole windscreen thing. If you have a modern full face helmet riding a naked at 80mph is no big deal. I can do I all day without fatigue.

However: the helmet buffering caused my a screen drives me bonkers. I stopped alongside the highway once and ripped a screen off and slung it into the woods because it was making me crazy.

I really think this piece of advice is a leftover from the days when helmets were bulky wind bricks.

600 miles a day on a middleweight is pretty hardcore. Good on ya. Cross country rides are good for the head. If you can find a like-minded buddy to ride with it becomes epic adventure. Sadly it takes years to find that one good riding buddy.

Oh hey here's a tip: carry an extra one gallon fuel can. Sometimes you need fuel but you feel great and don't want to stop. Pull over and out your one gallon in the tank and hit the road again. You'll find that your body will want a break before the gallon is gone so no need to carry more than a gallon (unless you're conditioned for long haul riding).

-HowWorkClutch

TwistedTorque

Awesome trip. More pics!

As for the puig windscreen, I pre-ordered with motovationusa last week and was told 7 - 10 days which would be this week. I'll post when mine ships and when it's installed.

Thanks for the info, nice post

Before I rode the FZ07, I had a cruiser, and with the windscreen, I actually got more wind, that bothered me than with no screen on the naked FZ07. Although, on a long trip it might help.

man, I love Estes Park, gorgeous area. I remember the first time I saw the hotel from The Shining as we drove bye, I was about 13

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Thanks for chairing the adventure. Any details on the throttle lock?
These are the best throttle locks out there! http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/go-cruise-throttle-control/
IMG_1831.jpgth

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1832.jpgWhen you installed this did you use the silicon ring? Are you still happy with it?

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Dravyck,
Thanks for the post. I'm planning on doing long weekend trips with my wife on her FZ, and appreciate the full windscreen feedback. Any updates on seats? I only last about an hour.

I just sat on the new FJ-09, sport touring version of the FZ09, and am hoping for an FJ07.

Glad it helped. THe only seat upgrade I've seen so far has been http://corbin.com/yamaha/yfz714g.shtml looks pretty nice.

Madstad recently came out with their windscreens for the fz07 http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13002/.f will definetly be getting this before my next trip out to Colorado this Summer.

82 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim Black (Passed Away)
15 Yamaha FZ-07 White

Nice ride! Been 2 years since my last long ride, way over due.

Going over the old girl now, 50K mile tune up. (2009 FZ6R)

Been wanting to do a East Coast trip for a while. Did a quick map of it last week with a few day rest in Montreal (home town).

Our Madstad windscreen arrived last week and my wife loves it so far. We did a fast run up HWY 1 on Sunday and it handled it well, about 150 miles total. Fast for us is 75-80 mph.

A rule of thumb for windscreen height is found at http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html#Height
The short version is you should be able to see over the windscreen at a spot between 30 and 60 feet from the front wheel.

We got the 20" windscreen for my 5'4" wife. In the upmost position, she can see over the screen a spot about 30 feet away. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten the 22" screen.

Also, fiddle with the angle of the screen. A 10 degree change made a huge difference in turbulence and wind blockage. We're about 30 degrees from upright.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome...sure you had a most uplifting time (most of the way) windshields can make or break a bike need a adjustable wingmd guard lol...thanks for your adventure....PS yes remember layers can be taken off only if u have them ..even the simple rain liner

Archived