The MT-07 Forum

Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket?

bornagainbiker

I fretted for months about whether or not to get an aftermarket exhaust. I have no desire for more power - if I wanted faster, I would have bought faster.

But I don't like the look or the sound of the stock exhaust. So I ended up buying a Black Widow with the carbon fiber tip (link here). I absolutely love it, though it is a bit loud even with the baffle in. The sound is deep and aggressive. I leave for work at around 6:30am and worry about waking the neighbors, and I now need ear plugs for longer rides. That said, it sounds incredible and I'm very happy with it. 

Edited by Cinimod

• Premium Member

That Black Widow can looks very nice! Would love to hear a clip of it...

Wintersdark

Just ordered the Black Widow shown above on @Duke's bike.  Ran stock for its inaugural year, but I really want to open that top end up.  So, exhaust, air, and tune.  Currently just the exhaust and a 2WDW tune, but a hordpower airbox is on the list as well.

• 5 weeks later...
andrewnguyen23

changed to the akra TI with and without DB killer. It is deafening. Would recommend leaving the DB killer in, unless you lose it on the freeway like I did. lol

• 3 weeks later...

The main sensible reason for changing the exhaust to a decent aftermarket is weight reduction. Any of the better exhausts shave kgs off the bike weight. It does effect the handling for the better.

I have a Carbon snail Akra. Love it. I run the dB killer in ( seen plots that show a very slight improvement in power and torque with it in). Not stupidly loud, but nice tone.  Cornering clearence is good as well.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I have an M4 slip on coming. Also doing the flash 2WDW so looking forward to the results!

I plan on having a shop custom fab a muffler delete.  I need to hear this bike in person again, the videos don't do it justice.

You don't really have to pay a fortune for a good sounding exhaust. I paid just 200 dollars for a custom made exhaust and it sounds terrific. Plus I like it more than the Akrapovic.

You can listen to it for your self in this video.