The MT-07 Forum

Earplugs

Paladin

I purchased some nice reusable earplugs for riding and for work, but I'm hesitant to wear them while riding on the street just because I am afraid I won't hear ambient noises as well. I need to figure out something though, especially since I run baffle out. I'm sure it is damaging my hearing.

Since all noise is attenuated you still hear everything.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Been using earplugs for 2 years straight, never have any issues with ambient noise. Only time I don't use earplugs is when I service the bike and go around the block or gas up the bike at the station half a mile away on 35 mph roads. I have 2 tubs of 100 of those foam earplugs. One in the garage and one in the house, I just toss my current pair after a week or two and grab a new one.

I'm sure if I were younger, I wouldn't be wearing any earplugs and thank christ I didn't get into motorcycles until my mid thirties otherwise I'm certain I would have hearing problems from being young and negligent. Hindsight is 20/20 kids. You don't know it yet but wind noise itself is slowly and steadily ****ing up your hearing no matter what you think.  You aren't above nature.  I still regret not visiting a dentist for 15 years straight after high school. The damage was done and now I'm paying for it.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Listening to music with my Cardo system - music stops whenever the system detects a louder noise than normal, and even with the music on I can still hear anything around me.

Safe riding!

I plan on riding with plugs at all times. I agree with SkH. Protect what you got before you no longer have it.

I find that I actually enjoy riding with earplugs more than without.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

I find that I actually enjoy riding with earplugs more than without.
Same here. I feel like I get less fatigued when I ride with ear pro. Most of the time I ride with Plugfones so I get the noise reduction and I can listen to music. If you haven't heard of them: Plugfones 

• Premium Member

I used ear plugs when i had a cheap sedici helmet as that helmet sounded like it had its own hurricane katrina inside. Now that i purchased a schuberth c3 pro and a shoei gt air i havent worn olugs in 8 months, they are that quiet. Sometimes i wear a balaclava so that helps too.

pineappleunderthesea

I wear earplugs all the time and have no issue hearing ambient noise. It's not like the plugs create complete silence, but they attenuate just enough to protect the ear. And it's not necessarily the noise of the bike that will harm your ears, but the wind noise and turbulence that harms your inner ear. And since exposure is compounding every time you are exposed, it leads to irreversible damage. To put it in perspective, at highway speeds the wind noise can be higher than 100 dB, and at those levels OSHA recommends less than 2 hour exposure (and at something like 115 dB, your exposure is 15 minutes--and yes, I just took mandatory PPE training at work, that's why I can spout some numbers!)

Another ear plug guy here.

Here's some advice for those who listen to music/bluetooth helmet speakers. Use "musicians" hifi ear plugs from hearos or similar. They still attenuate some DBs of sound, but they don't give as much of the muffled sound that regular foamies and such do. They work great for helmet speaker listeners and still cut out high wind frequencies.

For non listening days I also have a bulk can of regular old soft foamies.

If I am going to be riding on the highway I always put them in. If I am not going to exceed 80km/h on my ride I don't bother. Wind noise has also gotten a lot better when I switched to a Shoei GT air.

• Premium Member
Another ear plug guy here. 
Here's some advice for those who listen to music/bluetooth helmet speakers. Use "musicians" hifi ear plugs from hearos or similar. They still attenuate some DBs of sound, but they don't give as much of the muffled sound that regular foamies and such do. They work great for helmet speaker listeners and still cut out high wind frequencies.

For non listening days I also have a bulk can of regular old soft foamies.
I always look at them on the way out the door but never use them as I love my tunes. Stupid really as I already have an annoying case of tinnitus.  I'll follow up on this one. Thanks.

Found these...anyone have experience ?
http://www.earasers.net/products/moto-hi-fi-earplugs

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

The first time I wore anything in my ears on a bike, I put an earbud in to listen to some music for a 3 hour ride. I still didn't like the idea of plugging my ears up, so I only put one earbud in and left the other ear open. I'd even borrowed for the trip my fiancee's FZ6R which is very quiet with a stock exhaust, but as soon as I got there I noticed just how deaf the one ear was compared to the one that had had the earbud in it. I've since been eyeing up some Sena units, preferably one with an ambient noise mode.

• Premium Member
Found these...anyone have experience ? http://www.earasers.net/products/moto-hi-fi-earplugs

Man, those are pricey. You could probably go and get better custom molded earplugs for that price.

You guys should also check out the SureFire EarPro EP3 earplugs. Especially if you're worried about being able to hear cars around you. I've been using them lately and they've been good to me.

I like the option of leaving the filter caps out:
"Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates a special noise-reducing filter."

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/aplusautomation/vendorimages/b3cd754f-6707-4d00-b7cf-e3c72d99ce01.jpg._CB306549925_.jpg

• Premium Member
Found these...anyone have experience ? http://www.earasers.net/products/moto-hi-fi-earplugs

Man, those are pricey. You could probably go and get better custom molded earplugs for that price.  

You guys should also check out the SureFire EarPro EP3 earplugs. Especially if you're worried about being able to hear cars around you. I've been using them lately and they've been good to me.

I like the option of leaving the filter caps out:
"Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates a 

Hmm yeah youre right. I'll  look up these surefires. Do you find they sit flush with the ear or do they protrude? (I have mounted helmet speakers that rest against my ears so these things need to be recessed.) Thanks! 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
Do you find they sit flush with the ear or do they protrude? (I have mounted helmet speakers that rest against my ears so these things need to be recessed.) Thanks!
That's a tough one. Depends on how the speaker's sit, I guess. They're flush enough where I can get my helmet on without them getting knocked off. example

• Premium Member
Do you find they sit flush with the ear or do they protrude? (I have mounted helmet speakers that rest against my ears so these things need to be recessed.) Thanks!
That's a tough one. Depends on how the speaker's sit, I guess. They're flush enough where I can get my helmet on without them getting knocked off. example

Cool thanks for that. Im going to give them a shot.  

I've yet to ride with ear plugs but plan to once I pull the bike out for the year. After putting the M4 on w/o baffle it was BAD, headache and slight ringing for awhile. Put the baffle in and was a lot better but still a bit much. Didn't try ear plugs yet since I was afraid of loosing situational awareness from not hearing things as well but going to give it a try soon.

I've yet to ride with ear plugs but plan to once I pull the bike out for the year. After putting the M4 on w/o baffle it was BAD, headache and slight ringing for awhile. Put the baffle in and was a lot better but still a bit much. Didn't try ear plugs yet since I was afraid of loosing situational awareness from not hearing things as well but going to give it a try soon.
You should actually be able to hear your surroundings better with earplugs. That is if your hearing is not already damaged. I find that when I wear them, it dulls down the loudness but enhances all the other sounds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I use these.

I have custom molds, but try not to use those on the bike. I'm scared I'll lose them.

If I want to listen to music, I use my Shure SE425's or my 1946Ears A6's -- both cut background noise 30+dB and allow high quality audio at low levels.

My career involves audio so my ears literally make me money, so I take very good care of them. I'm the guy at metal shows with ear plugs in lol

It's all about keeping that rubber side down.

Archived