The MT-07 Forum

IXIL Exhaust Owners -- Reviews? How do you run it?

Musical Motorist

Musical Motorist

Hi all!  I know the subject can be "exhausting"  (rofl)  but I wanted to poll others that have the IXIL Hyperlow since I'm seriously considering buying it. 

First off, I've seen some complaints about the welding finish. I'm not a mechanically inclined person, so I'm wondering how serious this is when it comes to the overall aesthetic of the exhaust visually when it's installed as well as whether it affects the performance or not; this is not to say I'm looking for huge performance gains (I just like the sound and the look a lot!!), rather I'm wondering if it affects the way the bike actually runs.  Thoughts on this?

Secondly, I'm still really lost about ECUs, power commanders, and EJKs.  I feel like I'm staring at the Matrix when I see/hear these terms -- again, not mechanically inclined and really just looking to enjoy the exhaust for what it is as a part of my ride.  Which of these is the simplest?  I imagine there are pros and cons, and if anyone would like to help out Capt. Clueless here it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thirdly, what are your overall thoughts on the exhaust itself?  I've really scouted for a while and I know people lose their minds over Akra, Two Bros., and Yoshi, but the twins on the IXIL honestly made me grin (along with the sound!). The other thing is that here in AZ you legally have to ride with baffles and I'm probably the only person in the world that doesn't want to be that guy blaring his exhaust down the road baffle out....I try to be a nice biker  :)   It seems like you can remove the baffles and replace them quite easily on this exhaust though?  I'm not sure having not owned one, but that's the reason I started this thread was to poll those far more experienced than me!

Thanks for your patience with the noob and for sharing your expertise -- I really hope I can grasp a better understanding based on the experience of others!

i bought a used IIXL of a forum member here.  It was scratched up, but that doesnt affect performance. 

Ive only ran it with the baffle in.  I wanted something i could hear, but not something that would piss everyone else off.  It sounds amazing.  Not too loud, just what i was looking for.

Don't expect the exhaust to give you power gains on its own.  It wont.  However, with a correctly flashed ECU, you should see HP gains.

I just got my ECU back from 2wheel, and its cold here, so i havent taken it out yet.  But looking forward to it.  I got the ECU flashed on my last bike, and it was the best money i spent.

• Like 1

Hi all!  I know the subject can be "exhausting"  (rofl)  but I wanted to poll others that have the IXIL Hyperlow since I'm seriously considering buying it.  
First off, I've seen some complaints about the welding finish. I'm not a mechanically inclined person, so I'm wondering how serious this is when it comes to the overall aesthetic of the exhaust visually when it's installed as well as whether it affects the performance or not; this is not to say I'm looking for huge performance gains (I just like the sound and the look a lot!!), rather I'm wondering if it affects the way the bike actually runs.  Thoughts on this?

Secondly, I'm still really lost about ECUs, power commanders, and EJKs.  I feel like I'm staring at the Matrix when I see/hear these terms -- again, not mechanically inclined and really just looking to enjoy the exhaust for what it is as a part of my ride.  Which of these is the simplest?  I imagine there are pros and cons, and if anyone would like to help out Capt. Clueless here it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thirdly, what are your overall thoughts on the exhaust itself?  I've really scouted for a while and I know people lose their minds over Akra, Two Bros., and Yoshi, but the twins on the IXIL honestly made me grin (along with the sound!). The other thing is that here in AZ you legally have to ride with baffles and I'm probably the only person in the world that doesn't want to be that guy blaring his exhaust down the road baffle out....I try to be a nice biker  :)   It seems like you can remove the baffles and replace them quite easily on this exhaust though?  I'm not sure having not owned one, but that's the reason I started this thread was to poll those far more experienced than me!

Thanks for your patience with the noob and for sharing your expertise -- I really hope I can grasp a better understanding based on the experience of others!

I can't speak on the IXIL exhaust because I don't know anything about it, but I have done allot of research on fuel controllers and ECU flashing for our FZ-07. The results are subjective to one's own opinions and needs, but IMO the ECU flash is the simplest and best solution. You would be more or less looking to accomplish the same thing with any of the solutions, (EJK, Power Commander, ECU flash), which is to compensate for the air and fuel mixture needs that change after you replace the factory exhaust.  
An over simplified explanation is that the ECU delegates how much fuel and air is sent in for combustion via your fuel injection system. This is set up at the factory to work with the stock exhaust. When you change your exhaust these needs change, so you have to compensate for that in some way. The EJK and Power Commander are two different approaches to the same solution. They act as an intermediary between your ECU and fueling system, and do their best to compensate with optimal fuel/air mixture for your particular aftermarket exhaust. With the EJK and/or Power Commander you, or someone will have to install that on the bike and program it to the correct settings for your aftermarket exhaust. With the ECU flash on the other hand, it also takes care of the fuel/air mixture thing, as well as a whole slew of other things that the EJK and/or Power Commander don't do. Such as changing when the cooling fan comes on and off, and also really fine tuning how the bike runs with your particular aftermarket exhaust. And best of all, the only work required is to remove the ECU, put it in the mail, wait, and then re-install it on your bike.

Quality is nice, maybe a step behind Akras, Termis, SC's, etc., which are the finest ones around, but truly similar.

I know the brand, as it's from near my city, Barcelona (Spain), so I do see it quite a lot over Europe. They sound mean and loud without the baffle (baffle in it still adds that aggressive tone but at a manageable volume - in Spain it's baffle-in mandatory too).

I would go for one if you like the looks of it (my bro and me considered one for his XSR700).

As mentioned before, don't expect a power increase, as it is a slip-on and not a full system.

With regards to baffle removal, I know the Hyperlow model is easy - 1 allen screw per baffle and pull out. I guess other models are similar. :)

P.D.: I ended up purchasing the double Akra can for my bro as his Bday, as he loved the design and sound of it. Now, with the baffles in on this one, you don't get much increase in volume, just the pitch gets lower/deeper.

Safe riding!

For me the fitment was bad and took some bending and grinding to fit. Nothing major but it was aggravating. The sound is excellent. I recommend the 2WDW flash whether you get an exhaust or not. Very pleased with it.

• Like 1

Musical Motorist

Thanks for the answers so far!  It's helping me get some perspective on this.  
I'm really not looking to boost too much performance, more just the sound than anything else.  I know that the fuel controllers help reduce popping and such, so I'm just looking to keep the performance as it is now with only a sound enhancement.  I sound like a child in the ice cream store with the level of pickiness, but I wonder if it's possible??  Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
novascotianfz

I just emailed IXIL directly about requiring a Power Commander or ECU re-flash with the L3XB Hyperflow XL and IXRACE Z7 and below is the respond I received from them.

Hi,

Thank you for contact with IXIL EXHAUST SYSTEMS and for your interest in our products.

No, is not required, but obviously if you remap or add a power commander you will win some more power, but I repeat, is not required.
Both series comes with two exits with small diameter.

Best regards,
Dani

• 2 years later...

Thanks for this information, I was wondering if a tune was essential.  I guess it’s not if you don’t care about GAINZ.

edit:  I am aware this is a necropost.

Edited by Slono

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2017 at 3:21 PM, novascotianfz said:

I just emailed IXIL directly about requiring a Power Commander or ECU re-flash with the L3XB Hyperflow XL and IXRACE Z7 and below is the respond I received from them.

Hi,

Thank you for contact with IXIL EXHAUST SYSTEMS and for your interest in our products.

No, is not required, but obviously if you remap or add a power commander you will win some more power, but I repeat, is not required.
Both series comes with two exits with small diameter.

Best regards,
Dani

Thanks for the info also!  I'm looking into new exhausts and this one caught my eye since you said it doesn't need to be tuned or flashed.