The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha comfort seat

redrover

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After about 200 miles on the Yamaha comfort seat, I'll just say it is hard still, but better than stock, and it feels like it will break in more with extended use. Worth the price to me, I didn't want to spend $400-500 on an aftermarket seat.

• 2 months later...

As I read through all the various replies to Yamahas Seat short coming, I've noticed most the riders wanting a new seat are 200lbs+ and because of that, the seat develops hot spots after a while.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, 5'2, 150lbs Geared up. My issue since I am a stocky dude, is shape. I could fit 3 of my asscheeks on this OEM seat, allowing WAY to much movement (side to side and front to back) when I give it the beans.

Without going to a custom shop and having some guy measure my cheeks, which seat offers the tightest, most fitted or contoured seat shape?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-12-05 at 7:24 PM, Nick82006 said:

As I read through all the various replies to Yamahas Seat short coming, I've noticed most the riders wanting a new seat are 200lbs+ and because of that, the seat develops hot spots after a while.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, 5'2, 150lbs Geared up. My issue since I am a stocky dude, is shape. I could fit 3 of my asscheeks on this OEM seat, allowing WAY to much movement (side to side and front to back) when I give it the beans.

Without going to a custom shop and having some guy measure my cheeks, which seat offers the tightest, most fitted or contoured seat shape?  

The comfort seat is different to the stock as it has more meat at the front so you don't slide into the tank, also the suface is different and you do not slide easily on it. I think you would like it from what you describe

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2015 at 10:04 AM, catfish said:

I'm making a sport-tourer out of my FZ, and need a saddle I can be comfortable on most all day, for 3-4 days in a row. I'm 60yo & 230 lbs.

I liked the shape of the stock seat and for a few weeks I thought I could live with it. The foam softens with use. Then I noticed it felt hard in places after a couple of hours in the saddle. Seemed like I was sitting on the bottom pan. Foam too soft for my weight.

I read about the comfort seat & ordered one. Same basic shape & thickness, but noticeably firmer foam. It felt great for short & half-day rides. Its a very good-looking seat with the blue frame. The top material shows boot scuff marks that don't seem to go away after cleaning. Be careful you don't drag the edge of your boot against it. The oem seat cover is much more forgiving of boot scuffs from short legs.

I rode a 3-day, ~1000-mile trip recently. A good test for me. It felt fine until the 3rd day. Then I was noticing a couple of hot spots. My "sitz bones" and old enlarged prostate think the foam is too firm. I'm considering removing a little foam in those areas. Then get a friend (custom seat builder) to send me a 1/2" thick piece of medium-density memory foam to add on top. 🙂

The Yamaha comfort seat is a nice-looking addition with the same shape & thickness as oem, but with firmed foam. If you can keep your boots off it, it will continue to look great!

Catfish ...

After reading seat description, I dare say sounds like you need more sex...

We are all different, but I have a pad of 3 layers of 10mm foam on top of the seat. The middle of those three has, efectively, a gap running the full length (so it is 2 sep pieces).  This relieves the sensitive bits, I find. For my "sitz bones" I like the fairly firm foam which carries those bones, and stops flesh from bunching and numbing. It seems to work, though I ride for just less than 3 hours each time. 

Just do it! 

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2015 at 2:45 PM, scion719 said:

I know I’m reviving this from the dead, but can anyone comment if they would still recommend the comfort seat after all this time? I should note I’m a heavier rider about 250lbs, and the stock seat is giving me really bad pains down my leg from pressure points. I’m also interested in seat concepts but it seems they removed it from their site. 

I cannot stand the look of the Corbin I feel like it kills the look of the bike. 

• Global Moderator
11 hours ago, PMT-07 said:

I know I’m reviving this from the dead, but can anyone comment if they would still recommend the comfort seat after all this time? I should note I’m a heavier rider about 250lbs, and the stock seat is giving me really bad pains down my leg from pressure points. I’m also interested in seat concepts but it seems they removed it from their site. 

I cannot stand the look of the Corbin I feel like it kills the look of the bike. 

I have had the Seat Concepts seat since I got my bike in 2014 and have been very happy with it, especially compared to the stock seat (I am just under 200 lbs.).  I would try calling them and see if they still can make you one.  I have the “gripper” material and would recommend that.  They originally sent me the other type and I found it too slippery.  They replaced it for free as it was their mistake. 

8 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I have had the Seat Concepts seat since I got my bike in 2014 and have been very happy with it, especially compared to the stock seat (I am just under 200 lbs.).  I would try calling them and see if they still can make you one.  I have the “gripper” material and would recommend that.  They originally sent me the other type and I found it too slippery.  They replaced it for free as it was their mistake. 

I reached out today, they said the discontinued the seats for the mt07. Pretty bummed. I might have to settle for the Corbin at this point. 

• Like 1

I was hunting for one several weeks ago, for a 1st Gen. Called my buddy at the dealership and he dug around looking for one. He found two, worldwide, in Yamaha's part network. Showing 1 in North America and one in Europe. After inquiring at the locations showing stock, there weren't any actual seats left. The inventory just hadn't been updated to show none left.

Crazy that such a current model is already being not supported. Meanwhile, FZ 09 Comfort Seat are out there and $100 cheaper. Strange. 

1 hour ago, PMT-07 said:

I reached out today, they said the discontinued the seats for the mt07. Pretty bummed. I might have to settle for the Corbin at this point. 

I'm not sure if the bagster seat would be more comfortable, I've seen some mixed reviews on them for other bikes. There is always the Luimoto gel insert as well if you want to keep your stock seat shape/height and just want some additional support. I went that route and picked up their seat covers, too, and it's definitely made a difference. I'm ~195 lbs and I was only really able to ride for an hour or so before I felt uncomfortable and would squirm around trying to find a better position. With the gel insert now, I'm well above that threshold before I notice any discomfort at all. The gel/seat covers are expensive (only slightly less than a completely new seat) for what they are, but they've made a big difference...plus they look really nice. 

2 minutes ago, 7fold said:

I'm not sure if the bagster seat would be more comfortable, I've seen some mixed reviews on them for other bikes. There is always the Luimoto gel insert as well if you want to keep your stock seat shape/height and just want some additional support. I went that route and picked up their seat covers, too, and it's definitely made a difference. I'm ~195 lbs and I was only really able to ride for an hour or so before I felt uncomfortable and would squirm around trying to find a better position. With the gel insert now, I'm well above that threshold before I notice any discomfort at all. The gel/seat covers are expensive (only slightly less than a completely new seat) for what they are, but they've made a big difference...plus they look really nice. 

Really liking the luimoto, how is it holding up? a lot of reviews are saying the gel gets super hot in the summer and can burn you. Do you feel like it’s a lot more comfortable?

5 minutes ago, 7fold said:

Also forgot did you self install? Was it easy if so?

Just now, PMT-07 said:

Also forgot did you self install? Was it easy if so?

It's holding up perfect, so far, but I've only put it on in the beginning of the season so I can't exactly say that's a fair long-term test haha. I haven't noticed any difference in temperature. I'm not sure there would be, honestly, you aren't sitting directly on the gel. You carve out the foam on the stock seat, fit the gel insert, then spray glue another layer of foam (comes with the kit, they give you a giant sheet of it) over that and finally throw the actual seat cover on and staple it all down.

As far as install - it was kind of a pain, but I've never done any sort of upholstery work myself. I just watched a few YouTube videos and off I went. I wouldn't say it's all that difficult, just tedious and make sure you take your time. If you do it yourself, I have some tips:

- the gel is plenty big enough to cover a large portion of the seat, so just get it centered and position it more towards the back of the seat where you actually sit and you'll be good

- have some sharp utility blades handy, sharp blades make cutting out the outline and the little squares a lot easier

- have a sharp scraper handy and TAKE YOUR TIME slicing out the little squares you cut to make room for the gel insert (this is where messed up - I went a bit too deep in some parts towards the back of the seat. I didn't realize I was removing more foam than I needed to as the seat contoured. I ended up slicing some of the little squares I had already cut out and glued them back in place so I didn't have any divots)

- make sure the staples you use aren't super long, mine were 1/4" and that seemed to work well. If the staples you get are too long, they'll go straight through the plastic seat pan and the original foam and they might poke holes in the seat cover. Ideally, a pneumatic upholstery stapler is the best option, but I don't do upholstery work and don't own an air compressor. I made do with a manual stapler with an adjustable depth knob (I have one laying around I picked up from Harbor Freight a while back). My hands were sore the next day, but it got the job done.

- it's a really tedious process, but not terribly difficult and you definitely don't need specialized tools. A flat head to remove the staples, some sharp utility blades and a scraper, ruler, sharpie, stapler/staples and some spray adhesive and you're good to go

I'm happy with how it turned out. Plus, I didn't want to mess with the seat height or shape since I still want to move around on the bike in the corners and the Corbin seat doesn't really look like you can do that. Plus, I hated the look of the Corbin seat, too. I only got the kit with enough gel for the rider's seat, I only put the seat cover on the passenger seat (along with a layer of foam they sent since I had so much of it). I don't do too much 2 up riding since my girlfriend has her own bike. 

PXL_20210628_161720458.jpg

7 minutes ago, 7fold said:

It's holding up perfect, so far, but I've only put it on in the beginning of the season so I can't exactly say that's a fair long-term test haha. I haven't noticed any difference in temperature. I'm not sure there would be, honestly, you aren't sitting directly on the gel. You carve out the foam on the stock seat, fit the gel insert, then spray glue another layer of foam (comes with the kit, they give you a giant sheet of it) over that and finally throw the actual seat cover on and staple it all down.

As far as install - it was kind of a pain, but I've never done any sort of upholstery work myself. I just watched a few YouTube videos and off I went. I wouldn't say it's all that difficult, just tedious and make sure you take your time. If you do it yourself, I have some tips:

- the gel is plenty big enough to cover a large portion of the seat, so just get it centered and position it more towards the back of the seat where you actually sit and you'll be good

- have some sharp utility blades handy, sharp blades make cutting out the outline and the little squares a lot easier

- have a sharp scraper handy and TAKE YOUR TIME slicing out the little squares you cut to make room for the gel insert (this is where messed up - I went a bit too deep in some parts towards the back of the seat. I didn't realize I was removing more foam than I needed to as the seat contoured. I ended up slicing some of the little squares I had already cut out and glued them back in place so I didn't have any divots)

- make sure the staples you use aren't super long, mine were 1/4" and that seemed to work well. If the staples you get are too long, they'll go straight through the plastic seat pan and the original foam and they might poke holes in the seat cover. Ideally, a pneumatic upholstery stapler is the best option, but I don't do upholstery work and don't own an air compressor. I made do with a manual stapler with an adjustable depth knob (I have one laying around I picked up from Harbor Freight a while back). My hands were sore the next day, but it got the job done.

- it's a really tedious process, but not terribly difficult and you definitely don't need specialized tools. A flat head to remove the staples, some sharp utility blades and a scraper, ruler, sharpie, stapler/staples and some spray adhesive and you're good to go

I'm happy with how it turned out. Plus, I didn't want to mess with the seat height or shape since I still want to move around on the bike in the corners and the Corbin seat doesn't really look like you can do that. Plus, I hated the look of the Corbin seat, too. I only got the kit with enough gel for the rider's seat, I only put the seat cover on the passenger seat (along with a layer of foam they sent since I had so much of it). I don't do too much 2 up riding since my girlfriend has her own bike. 

PXL_20210628_161720458.jpg

Man that seat looks awesome! I’m really digging it. How long until you get uncomfortable on that? I’m really thinking about getting this. It was only list but wasn’t sure if I would be able to justify the price. 

2 minutes ago, PMT-07 said:

Man that seat looks awesome! I’m really digging it. How long until you get uncomfortable on that? I’m really thinking about getting this. It was only list but wasn’t sure if I would be able to justify the price. 

I had a similar opinion on the price, it was tough to pull the trigger on some gel and a seat cover, but I'm honestly glad I did now. I feel like spending a bit extra on quality things you interact with constantly is worth it - grips, levers, seat, etc. I can ride for a few hours now easily. Right around 2-3 hours is when I feel like I need to take a break, but that's because I feel I need to stretch my legs out; my butt still feels nice with the gel even after that long. Before the gel, I was at about an hour, maybe a little longer, before I started moving around in the seat side to side trying to relieve the pressure. 

9 minutes ago, 7fold said:

I had a similar opinion on the price, it was tough to pull the trigger on some gel and a seat cover, but I'm honestly glad I did now. I feel like spending a bit extra on quality things you interact with constantly is worth it - grips, levers, seat, etc. I can ride for a few hours now easily. Right around 2-3 hours is when I feel like I need to take a break, but that's because I feel I need to stretch my legs out; my butt still feels nice with the gel even after that long. Before the gel, I was at about an hour, maybe a little longer, before I started moving around in the seat side to side trying to relieve the pressure. 

I think I’ll pull the trigger. I just can’t get over the looks of the Corbin. I’ll reach out when it comes down to install if I have any questions. I appreciate the insight!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PMT-07 said:

I think I’ll pull the trigger. I just can’t get over the looks of the Corbin. I’ll reach out when it comes down to install if I have any questions. I appreciate the insight!

No problem! Their video instructions are pretty good, I also found a YouTube video of a guy doing the install on an 18+ seat that was pretty helpful, too. It was in Spanish, but I didn't really need to understand what he was saying - just watching the process helped a ton. 

10 hours ago, Yakko Warner said:

Just throwing this out there, but before spending the time, money, and effort into upgrading the seat, you might also try padded bicycle underwear, such as: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TRKRGLW

I don't know how much it will help.  I read about it on another forum.

I’ve been seeing this discussion as well, not sure I want to wear that to be honest. Sure will save me money, but just odd when I’m stopping somewhere to have pads on my butt 😂

Has anyone tried using one of those seat cushions you fill with air or water? I have been using one for a while now and it helps on longer rides. Not expensive either. Takes a while to find just the right amount of air to fill it with.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine custom rebuilt at a local upholstery shop. the padding is a lot thicker now and much more comfortable.  it also looks good and matches the custom theme of the bike

DSC01960.JPG

• Like 2