The MT-07 Forum

5 dollar DNA filter cover

rhb

The DNA filter and stage 2 cover is the hot set up, but Rather than pay over 100 bucks for a pc. of injection molded plastic, I did it myself with fiberglass and epoxy. Yes it took a day, but if time is less important than money its a viable alternative, and frankly I enjoy engineering my own solutions. Here are self explanatory pics, any questions please ask. I bought 2 plastic signs for 2 bucks to use for mold parts, I had scraps of glass mat laying around and some resin as well as epoxy laminating resin. The rest is elbow grease. Did while waiting my ECU flash from 2Wheel DynoWorks.

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

Nope, I'm half way around the world, and this is a one off, I didn't go to the trouble of making a plug and reusable mold, not saying I couldn't do it if I wanted.
It would be relatively easy to make a very light glass layup using a 2 piece mold and male plug. but better someone in the US do that.

Nope, I'm half way around the world, and this is a one off, I didn't go to the trouble of making a plug and reusable mold, not saying I couldn't do it if I wanted. It would be relatively easy to make a very light glass layup using a 2 piece mold and male plug. but better someone in the US do that.

Haha fair enough. Great work on the cover.

Very nice rhb but where's the critter screen, no critters half way around the world? Would make a nice mouse house.
If there were room I was actually thinking of using a servo actuated flap so when ignition was on doors open, off, doors closed, it would be quite simple really, but pretty cramped under there. Maybe next week. 

Very very nice! You have skills my friend!

For those of us who don't tho, MWR is developing a cover of their own. Their filter for the FZ-07 made more power than the DNA (see dyno results here), so I don' t see why their cover won't be just as good or better.  Just waiting on final pricing and availability, which is expected in the coming weeks :)

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

Hmm... might be even easier to 3D print one
Well if I already had a 3D printer i would have. I started doing a 3D rendering in AutoCad first, but then realized it was a waste of time unless I could get it replicated cheaply. So I did it the old way taking measurements, and making patterns, sometimes low tech is the best way.

Very very nice! You have skills my friend! 
For those of us who don't tho, MWR is developing a cover of their own. Their filter for the FZ-07 made more power than the DNA (see dyno results here), so I don' t see why their cover won't be just as good or better.  Just waiting on final pricing and availability, which is expected in the coming weeks :)

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

As long as the price is as good or better :) I have a better design of my own, I actually have experience with airfoil design, hence venturi effect, (which is what we are doing here). Adding a radius-ed edge increases the flow only 5.8% over a square hole. The radius should be between 1/4" to 3/8" diameter. There is a small further modification that could be added to increase the airflow by .5% more. Its so small an increase there is actually not much reason to go to the extra effort to produce the profile. I put an additional wrap of electrical tape on mine, (not shown) that joins the filter to the cover and provides a smooth transition and adds an airflow "trip" that has a slight turbulator effect so the airflow does not stick to the sides of the cover after the radius.
All this said, I personally do not think anyone could feel the difference riding your bike between just clamping the filter in place and adding a cover. But DNA makes a lot of money selling a 5 dollar piece of plastic for a hundred bucks..

Couple of thoughts:

1) Excellent work. Really nice job for garage work.

2) 3D printing is much cheaper than it used to be, but still this is going to be a $50 part if you get someone else to do it. If you do it yourself, you're going to use a lot of material ($$$) unless you relieve the back side quite a bit.

3) You're right on the radiused intake. It has a relatively small effect, but one has to be careful here -- too much or poorly shaped, it will actually flow worse than a sharp corner as you can have a necked-down flow area from the stream that is coming in with lateral velocity. I know, blah, blah. But the point is you can make it better but you can also make is worse.

4) Shaping the flow external to the box, leading into the opening is very important as well. With a well-designed/shaped intake boot, you will have significantly higher flow than the simple radius on the edge. I bet that when MWR comes out with theirs, it will have some sort of external velocity stack like design! This shaping is very important to optimized flow.

I've had on my list of "would really like to do" to-do list of doing a CFD of the current options and then optimizing a velocity stack to show the difference in flow, with all the pretty, colorful pictures and all that. We've had so much discussion of the last two years of this vs. that and sooooo many experts on the topic, I wanted to put some hard info down just on flow alone. But, if MWR is working on it, I need to get my butt in gear, or they'll likely have it for you in their promotional materials: stock, external boot removed, internal baffle removed only, radiused edge (like DNA), and then their design.

Anyway, nice job on this.

Thanks, actually it was a kitchen table job. :) I didn't bother filling all the pin holes because its out of sight.
I would think additional profiling should be on this order, if thought to be necessary.

orfice.jpg

• Global Moderator

damned good job @rhb
wish i'd have thought of this instead of buying the dna lid

Hmm... might be even easier to 3D print one

I may be able to help with this shortly....
Im planning to have a printer up and running here by march... more on this to come..

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

dentalprodigy

Might be a dumb question... I bought the bike used with this DNA filter already installed. When I removed the seat for the first time I noticed ripped/small pieces of blue shop towels(the ones from Walmart) lining the bottom of the filter. I always keep those blue shop towels in my shed where my bike is stored.

Is this normal? I was thinking either the original owner did that to prevent rain water from getting in?? Or i have a mouse problem or something .

• Global Moderator
Might be a dumb question... I bought the bike used with this DNA filter already installed. When I removed the seat for the first time I noticed ripped/small pieces of blue shop towels(the ones from Walmart) lining the bottom of the filter. I always keep those blue shop towels in my shed where my bike is stored.  
Is this normal? I was thinking either the original owner did that to prevent rain water from getting in?? Or i have a mouse problem or something .
Possibly the rodent issue Check your shed for droppings and damaged towels
There shiuldnt be anything in your filter other than the light coat of oil for yhe element itself

I would love to convert my seat removal screws to Dzeus fasteners for easy inspection and covering when washing. Another weekend project.

Like I asked  original poster, where's your critter screen, that filter makes for a perfect mouse house. I had a mouse in the garage so I put down a little tub of that Decon poison, the little blue pellets, the next morning they were all gone, a couple days later I uncovered the bike and found where all the pellets went, little vermin had stashed them all over the engine and anywhere there was a nook or cranny. 

dentalprodigy

Ahh crap. I knew something was up when I saw all those blue shop towels in there. Like a goof I initially removed them but then thought ... oh wait, maybe scordiaboy515 (original owner) thought about this & put them in the air filter to prevent rainwater from collecting. I guess i'll get some rat poison tomorrow morning.

Now I know why I have to keep putting electrical tape around random wiring every now and again.

• Global Moderator
If mice are nesting in your air cleaner, you're not riding enough.
Gotta second this one @dentalprodigy 
BRAAAAPPPP it up more, and get a piece of wire screen to put between your airfilter and lid

dentalprodigy

Hahahaha I assure you it gets ridden plenty. Obviously not as much because of the cold.

I was removing the blue shop towels from the dna filter today and noticed more blue shop towels pieces underneath rear seat cowl. Then I found that these pests chew through the led turn signal wires making the right indicator stop working. I had no idea it wasn't working until I found the chewed through wires. I joined then again temporarily.

I'm off to home depot to find some rat/mice poison. And I guess a fly screen or something.

https://goo.gl/photos/Xy2y6jyA5r3v5ubY6

I think fly screen is to restrictive, get something like rabbit size screen which I believe is 1/4" square openings. My local surplus yard has nice stainless screen in this size, looks real nice so you should be able to find something. We drive our Toyota every day and I found rat droppings on the top plastic engine cover, I sure hope they aren't chewing up the wires, if it ain't one thing it's another...

Archived