The MT-07 Forum

Mileage issues/problems?

patman

I bought an FZ-07 last spring and am thinking about trading it in on an FZ-09.It has pretty good trade value still so if I want to trade I should do it while the iron is hot.I have about 7100 miles right now.Just wondering what kind of problems people have had.CCT failure,burned valves,etc etc.I love the 07 but a little more power and torque wouldn't hurt my fealings.;-)

"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy".
Benjamin Franklin.

• Global Moderator

I did a test ride on the FZ-09 and liked the bike a lot. Not enough to trade my -07 in though. The biggest problem with it is the rock hard seat. I was ready to get off fifteen minutes in to the ride. Be ready to upgrade that straight away.

I'm looking at the 2017.I don't know if they upgraded the seat but they did upgrade a lot of other things.I was warned about the seat on the 07 but it doesn't bother me at all.Long rides are no problem.One thing I don't like is the suspension and it isn't worth the money to modify.The 2017 09 has much better suspension,fully adjustable.

Benjamin Franklin.

The main reason for this post is what are the weak links in the 07?The only thing I've really heard of is the CCT on the 09.I did hear about a guy that did aftermarket exhaust and didn't fatten up the mixture.He burned an exhaust valve.Other than a Puig wins screen and Yoshimura fender eliminator my 07 is completely stock.

Benjamin Franklin.

• Premium Member

The CCT problem on the-09 bikes are limited to the early production # bikes... Alot of ppl think the "normal" engine chatter is the CCT going bad when its not thr case...only 1 person had with his homemade CCT repair to blow his motor and attempt to blame it all on Yamaha...the solution to the engine chatter ppl hear is a few rubber bushings on the clutch basket that the XSR-09 motor has... I own both a FZ-07 and FJ-09 bike...the FJ models are the better versions of the FZ models...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

norcal616,thanks for that.I've read about a lot of people having issues with the CCT on the 09.They all just replace them with manual ones.No big deal.Easy to do and good piece of mind.I put one on the DRZ400SM I used to have.I thought about an FJ but I think the FZ's are sexier and I don't do any real long trips.

Benjamin Franklin.

• Premium Member

Quite a few FJ owners who live in the warmer parts of the world actually remove the hand guards and put stock FZ bar ends on and somd remove the stock windscren...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I thought very seriously about an FJ but like I said I don't do too many long rides which I think it is better suited for.The 2017 09 comes with more of the bells and whistles (ABS,traction control which I would turn off any way,adjustable suspension,plus it looks cooler).That hideous license plate thing would come off as soon as I got it home though.Who thought that up???Another option is keep the 07 and get a WR250R.I love dual sports but there aren't any places left to ride in my area.I'd have to buy a truck to haul it to places I could ride.I have one buddy that lives where we could find some trails but his wife will never let him buy a bike."Too dangerous".

Benjamin Franklin.

lol! It looks like you're getting back to how you used to be pretty fast, congrats! Funny how a bike can make you feel younger, it always does me. Don't get too wild on that 9, stay frosty!

Beemer

8500miles, bought manual cct but not installed, runs great.
Hi All;  Is there a video of this install? Or pictures. Looks like it would have to be set by feel.
Fz09 has side plate, so easy to see what your doing. Not so much on the 07..
                      Ride safe
                          valvestem
cct install

The CCT problem on the-09 bikes are limited to the early production # bikes... Alot of ppl think the "normal" engine chatter is the CCT going bad when its not thr case...only 1 person had with his homemade CCT repair to blow his motor and attempt to blame it all on Yamaha...the solution to the engine chatter ppl hear is a few rubber bushings on the clutch basket that the XSR-09 motor has... I own both a FZ-07 and FJ-09 bike...the FJ models are the better versions of the FZ models...
"...the FJ models are the better versions of the FZ models..."  It seems like a lot of people confuse more power, or features with "better" or "upgrade", not the same thing. Based on that reasoning most people would have thought I was crazy selling my BMW S1000R, Ducati Hypermotard 821, and KTM 1190, last summer and only keeping my 2 FZ-09's. The BMW had factory ESA, Quikshifter, C C, 160 hp at the wheel, ect. Great bike, but not much fun (in my opinion), and too wide for my taste. The FZ's I currently own (07 & 09) are both much more fun than most bikes I've ever had. The FJ's are nice bikes, but I'd never consider the FJ-09 based on it being 48 lbs. heavier (wet weight), than my FZ-09. For me "light is right".
@ patman: heavier fork oil works wonders with very little effort. Also, I much prefer the seat, and legroom/riding position of the FZ-09, think of a big supermoto. It's easy to flatten out the front of the seat on the 09 by putting a couple of rubber chair feet over the front seat posts.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

Archived