The MT-07 Forum

Tire Changer?

blackout

Oh, forgot to mention. If you don't want to pony up for a stand at the moment, you can balance the tires on the bike. Just hang the calipers/chain out of the way and let the wheel rotate on it's own axle. The stand makes life easy, but is in no way needed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Here's what I use for a bead breaker. Don't laugh! $4 worth of lumber and I've knocked truck tires off beads with it. Also, the wood won't gouge your rims if things go sideways. Just pivots off a stud in the wall with a long 8mm bolt. Stuff it in the corner when not in use.  You can actually see a bit of blue on the tip where the paint on the 07 wheels is super fragile. 

6ysfrI7l.jpg 

eQuPrvNl.jpg

I made this stand a few years ago for balancing. The bearing were $8 for a 10pk on eBay. Not a critical application, so not worried about the possible low quality of the bearing.  Other wise it's just whatever scrap metal I had on hand.  The leveling feet are handy to keep to keep it from rocking. The shaft is just a piece of 1/2" round stock ( not precision ground) and I've seen no need for cones. No balance issue up to 130 or so. 

WtaND7nl.jpg

IMG_20160723_185631797_zpsmkxueezl.jpg

IMG_20160724_165549401_zpsvdt2z8bq.jpg

I use Motion Pro levers and rim shields. I like MP's aluminum spoons. More than strong enough to mount bikes tires. With the right technique, once the tire is started, you can work a tire off with one spoon and not come anywhere near the rim lip to worry about scratches. I think the spoons were under $20 and you can use milk jugs in place of the rim shields. But rim shields are only about $15. So less than $40 all in. 

Big fan of the S21's myself!

002voGBl.jpg

I like your ingenuity. 

• Thanks 1

Beemer

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Got exhausted trying to dismount Metzler tires on my eBay wheels, so....

0502191444.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, blackout said:

0502191444.jpg

If I only had the room for it...…. 😢

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, blackout said:

0502191444.jpg

Let us know how it goes. @blackout

• Like 1

mossrider
Just now, blackout said:

You s_ck, I hate you. The one thing I don't have and wish I did.

I'll just be over here pouting...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Going to mount it to a pallet so I can move it around the factory where I work.  ( I own the place.  :) )  Will be mounting S22's first, then a set of wets.

0503190856.jpg

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Used it to finish dismounting a tire, but that's it so far.  

0508191037.jpg

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

shinyribs

Woooo, someboy's in high cotton. Congrats man, that's a helluva tool to have at your disposal! 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 8:44 AM, blackout said:

Thats a nice changer. You'll enjoy changing tires instead of dreading it.  Makes doing trackdays a breeze as well.

Watch the videos closely on how to mount and de-mount...there are some tricks/skills that make it easy as pie, or frustrating if done I correctly.

Matt

This is one of the changers I am looking into.  https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Classic_Model_Motorcycle_Tire_Changer_p/tc-classic.htm

Any thought?

Thanks!

Edited by Zupatun
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Did a friend's front Q3+ yesterday.  Piece of cake.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, blackout said:

Did a friend's front Q3+ yesterday.  Piece of cake.

Nice! 👍

What're you using for balancing after mounting?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Nice! 👍

What're you using for balancing after mounting?

I use Counteract balance beads.  That is what my local Yamaha dealer uses as well.  Revzilla sells them.  A $25 kit will do both front and rear.  Has worked for me, and no ugly weights that then need ugly tape over them to pass tech at the track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I'm 66 years old and I change my tires on the ground using tire irons.  I had a Harbor Freight setup, but went back to doing it this way.  I just like it better.  I do it just like the guy in this video.  I put the rim on a couple of pieces of 2x4 to keep the rotors off of the ground.  I do have one longer tire iron with a slight curve in the end for starting and finishing, but the other two are short like his.  If you're having a hard time, you don't have the mounted part of the tire completely down in the drop center of the rim.  Simple as that.  I use my knees like this guy, but I also wear some cheap gardening knee pads from Harbor Freight.  You can get one of these bead breakers from Motion Pro, and also use them as tire irons.  Motion Pro bead beaker    Use plenty of rim protectors.  I also use the Nomar tire mounting paste.  Watch their videos for the correct place to apply the paste.  A jar lasts forever. 

Put the tires out in the sun to warm up before mounting.  In the colder months I use a heat gun to warm them up first.  As mentioned, get a decent air compressor.  You should have one anyway.  $150 at Harbor Freight will get a good one. 

Tire changing video

Edited by Fitty
  • Like 1

I have a couple bikes and do trackdays with my XSR700...it takes me less than 20 minutes to take the trackday tires on/off and swap with my street tires. I spend more time getting them off and on the bike...my modified HF setup and mojolever is a lot less effort and easy on the paint/rims than my old set of tire irons and rim protectors.  To each his own, but I'm a "lazy" engineer...I like ease and precision of my setup over needing a third hand. 

Matt

• Like 1

Oh, that doesn't count balancing.  I'm not as fast as the Dunlop or Pirelli techs...takes me 10 min each just to balance...

Matt