The MT-07 Forum

Tire Changer?

blackout

• Premium Member

Does anyone mount and balance their own motorcycle tires?  I'm looking into doing this relatively cheap.  I think in the long run I would save money as I will be running softer performance tires daily.

This is one of the changers I am looking into.  https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Classic_Model_Motorcycle_Tire_Changer_p/tc-classic.htm

Any thought?

Thanks!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

You could go real cheap and get a set of tire irons some kind of bead brake ( hammer ) shield to protect the rim and make a shaft to put the wheel on to balance it. I used to do truck tires by hand so I know I could do it but someone with no experience might have issues.

https://www.revzilla.com/product/motion-pro-long-steel-tire-irons

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-rimshield-ii

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-wheel-axis-truing-balancing-stand

35 buck for my shop to do it I change tires 2 to 3 times a year so not a big deal for me but if I was using soft tires hitting the track every weekend and I was on a budget I might change my own tires.

But that would be a sweet tool to have in your garage if you changed a ton of tires

• Like 2

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

My local dealership charges $42 per tire if I bring the tire in off the bike and then $6 for a balance. With tracking and daily driving on the same tires I see having to change tires at least twice a year. The machine will be paid off in a few years, so that was my thinking. I can rig something up for balancing pretty easy. It sounds like they are balanced just like how I balance model boat propellers. lol

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

That is a nice unit, the guys that demo it at the bike shows have the tire off and on in less than 5 minutes and it's called nomar for a reason, if you want a manual unit and have the room this one would do it. I'm using a wheel stand and irons for the dirt bike tires and static balance stand for both dirt and street that works just fine, I have yet to try changing the 17" street tires but recently watched a youtube video where a guy shows you an easy way to do it by hand using zip ties on removal and install, made it look pretty easy so worth at least one try.

Harbor Freight has something very similar and works reasonable well too. For ~$70-100. Like this unit but make sure it's bolted solidly.
But DO get the no-mar bar itself - that's very much worth having. I think no-mar also sells Delrin blocks that fit over the HF to protect rims.

• Like 1
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I bet you can find a youtube vid demoing both of them, good idea on the nomar bar etc, I did read somewhere that those parts made all the difference.

I bet you can find a youtube vid demoing both of them, good idea on the nomar bar etc, I did read somewhere that those parts made all the difference.

• Premium Member

I think the key is having a machine that can hold the wheel very secure during the tire removal process. The NoMar seems to do this.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I found a coats changer on Craigslist for a crazy good deal. Definitely check out the used market and as long as all the parts are there the unit should be fine. Tire changers are sturdy by nature so they don't go through a lot of wear and tear. You may only need to purchase new pads if anything. Good luck!

Also, make sure you have somewhere to bolt it down. This isn't really something that can be allowed to move freely since you apply a ton of horizontal force.

Been doing my own tires since the late 80's. Harbor Freight setup with tire irons. Then static ballance. Must have saved $$$$ through the years.

When I go to use it I bolt it to a piece of plywood I stand on. Works great and no need to bolt to floor.

• Like 1

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I've also been doing my own - never actually paid anyone to do this since 1970!

I have the Harbor Freight unit mounted to a short home-made table to get the working height proper and use this guy's lever https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm. He also sells nylon blocks that fit on the metal hooks of the HB unit. Combined with a couple rim protectors, and your wheels will be happy.

I would also recommend using a lube made specifically for mounting tires - like http://www.jtmproductsinc.net/murphys_tire_tube_mounting.php. Can use dish soap, but this stuff is far more slippery. A tub will last a lifetime. Never use WD40 or even silicone sprays.

Having a decent compressor is kinda necessary (little hobby jobs are not the proper tool for this job).

I built a balancing stand, but Marc Parnes has a nice set-up that's reasonable and universal (except for single sided swingers)

• Like 1

Lube and a warm tire, plus practice. Gotta love hearing those beads pop on after the wrestling match.
Yeah, those 2 big pops -  one of the great sounds in life.  
And watch yer fingies as getting a fingertip in there would be unpleasant for sure. 

The Nomar stand is a beauty for sure, but way too expensive imo. I have a couple friends who have this and never had good luck with the mount end of that bar that comes with it.

There's another tool that has a similar dismount end to the NoMar and a similar mounting end to the MojoLever that i have. http://no-scufftiretool.com/index.html

I actually just use a long thin iron iron that I've had for over 40 years to remove the 1st bead. Sometimes the 2nd bead will just pull off by hand - sometimes it'll need that dismount end. BTW, the guy in this vid is a fellow Futura owner and it's never quite that easy.

You could go real cheap and get a set of tire irons some kind of bead brake ( hammer ) shield to protect the rim and make a shaft to put the wheel on to balance it. I used to do truck tires by hand so I know I could do it but someone with no experience might have issues.  
https://www.revzilla.com/product/motion-pro-long-steel-tire-irons

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-rimshield-ii

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motion-pro-wheel-axis-truing-balancing-stand

35 buck for my shop to do it I change tires 2 to 3 times a year so not a big deal for me but if I was using soft tires hitting the track every weekend and I was on a budget I might change my own tires.

But that would be a sweet tool to have in your garage if you changed a ton of tires

Every rider should at least own tire irons and that stand works fine Iv'e used one.

Anyone use Dyna Beads to balance? It turns out my dealership does. This is what they use in big truck tires. They used them in my motorhome tires. 

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php
Personally, no. But I know of guys that use them in their Jeep wheels/tires when they get a combo that is particularly difficult to balance with sticky weights. Some even use airsoft BBs. They work better at higher speeds.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member
1 hour ago, fzar said:

Have you used them for balancing the wets? 

I have not purchased wets yet.  Worked fine in the s21 bridgestones on track and street.  

My wife filed for a divorce this winter so my bike mods and tracking is all up in the air right now.   :(

• Sad 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, blackout said:

I have not purchased wets yet.  Worked fine in the s21 bridgestones on track and street.  

My wife filed for a divorce this winter so my bike mods and tracking is all up in the air right now.   :(

Ooh, sorry to hear about the divorce. I got married and divorced fairly young by today's standards (23,26). I regret getting hitched so young, but I am glad I had nothing worth taking when it came time to split and there were no children except fur babys involved.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, blackout said:

Sorry to hear the news. Good Luck with whatever happens in the future.

• Like 1

I own a NoMar classic tire changer, it works just as advertised but there is definately a learning curve.  I recommend it and for the price you can't beat the convenience of changing your own tires anytime you want.  The machine has paid for itself in less than 2 years of ownership plus it feels good doing my own work.

• Like 1

Here's what I use for a bead breaker. Don't laugh! $4 worth of lumber and I've knocked truck tires off beads with it. Also, the wood won't gouge your rims if things go sideways. Just pivots off a stud in the wall with a long 8mm bolt. Stuff it in the corner when not in use.  You can actually see a bit of blue on the tip where the paint on the 07 wheels is super fragile. 

6ysfrI7l.jpg 

eQuPrvNl.jpg

I made this stand a few years ago for balancing. The bearing were $8 for a 10pk on eBay. Not a critical application, so not worried about the possible low quality of the bearing.  Other wise it's just whatever scrap metal I had on hand.  The leveling feet are handy to keep to keep it from rocking. The shaft is just a piece of 1/2" round stock ( not precision ground) and I've seen no need for cones. No balance issue up to 130 or so. 

WtaND7nl.jpg

IMG_20160723_185631797_zpsmkxueezl.jpg

IMG_20160724_165549401_zpsvdt2z8bq.jpg

I use Motion Pro levers and rim shields. I like MP's aluminum spoons. More than strong enough to mount bikes tires. With the right technique, once the tire is started, you can work a tire off with one spoon and not come anywhere near the rim lip to worry about scratches. I think the spoons were under $20 and you can use milk jugs in place of the rim shields. But rim shields are only about $15. So less than $40 all in. 

Big fan of the S21's myself!

002voGBl.jpg

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 5