The MT-07 Forum

USA trying to sneak thru a 100% tariff on euro bikes!

Cruizin

The US is considering applying a 100% tariff on all euro bikes between 50cc and 500cc's. Dirtbikes, street bikes everything. Affected manufacturers include Aprilla, Beta. BMW, Ducati, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa.

The AMA has a tool where riders can file a letter of complaint here cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/act-on-a-regulation?0&engagementId=275833

But the deadline to file feedback is Jan 30th! They didn't give us citizens much freaking time to respond and that means they are trying to push this thru.

Please, do us many usa ktm, ducati, husky dirtbike/streetbike riders a solid favor and file a complaint letter at the link above.

All USA euro dealers would close and most plain file bankruptcy. Parts would become affected too.

Please share this thread by clicking Actions>share thread>and then click on your social media choice and it will post the link and title right into your post.

I haven't found anything as a reason... and what about Japanese bikes? Only European... this guy is crazy... :S

Already signed, this is no good...

Safe riding!

So from what I'm told the beef industry lobbyists are mad that Europe won't allow us to sell our beef there so this is a roundabout retaliation tactic. Probably won't pass, but still not good.

So from what I'm told the beef industry lobbyists are mad that Europe won't allow us to sell our beef there so this is a roundabout retaliation tactic. Probably won't pass, but still not good.

Dunno the reason why... I know that regulations in Europe are stricter in almost any industry, and concerning meat, here in the US there are more hormones and antibiotics allowed to feed animals... maybe it's that the reason.

Safe riding!

Dunno the reason why... I know that regulations in Europe are stricter in almost any industry, and concerning meat, here in the US there are more hormones and antibiotics allowed to feed animals... maybe it's that the reason.

Watch Steak ®evolution, it's a documentary on Netflix. Very interesting stuff about the global beef market and standards. From that I found that the American meat market is pretty terrible in general. We don't have a good concept of what quality meat truly is.

That being said, I get why Europe doesn't want our beef industry polluting theirs. We're not the only offender, but we're probably the worst.

Filled out the form. Hopefully all of the AMA members and dealerships get behind this petition. If the stated is true that this is a retaliation effort against agricultural trade, then that ruffles my feathers a bit. Governments have gotten a bit too convoluted these days. It's like a bunch of babies whining about who gets to play with what toys. I've always been of the opinion that you make the best, most economical product possible and let the rest take care of itself. If you've got a worthwhile product and it shows itself true against what others are making, then you will be rewarded. If US farmers are being refused access to the European market, then guess what? make a better product to compete or take it to another market. *sigh*... stepping off of worn soapbox now....

Disclaimer: A similar type of thing is happening in the Cigar and Pipe tobacco market right now, so this just irks me to no end.

Whatever the reason for it (retaliation?) we don't need another stupid, tariff war that hurts the world economy.

Beemer

• Premium Member

This is just a ditch effort to a failing monetary system. 20 trillion in debt not including unfunded liabilities that our future generations are supposed to pay off lol. I'm amazed that other countries keep selling there stuff, makes you wonder why they still are.

Its all fake and we are Fked

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

This is just a ditch effort to a failing monetary system. 20 trillion in debt not including unfunded liabilities that our future generations are supposed to pay off lol. I'm amazed that other countries keep selling there stuff, makes you wonder why they still are. 
Its all fake and we are Fked
Yes, 'our' future generations, not the top 1%'ers future generations. Those kids will be raised to believe everyone 'beneath them' made the mess and should clean it up themselves. (puke)  

Beemer

Sure, sign, but I can't see it making a difference. He's doing what he said he'd do, and this is one of them - tarrifs. Just look at the executive orders signed after a single week. This morning the EPA was told to shut the F up (gag order) and had extreme funding limitations imposed. The first group of many acts to follow that will have . . . interesting repercussions. Fasten your seatbelts.

Sure, sign, but I can't see it making a difference. He's doing what he said he'd do, and this is one of them - tarrifs. Just look at the executive orders signed after a single week. This morning the EPA was told to shut the F up (gag order) and had extreme funding limitations imposed. The first group of many acts to follow that will have . . . interesting repercussions. Fasten your seatbelts.

So, you didn't read the article? Actually this was snuck in late Dec under the Obama Administration but not sure if that matters either way.

Alot more info here www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/5pt5nb/usa_considering_a_100_tariff_on_all_euro_500cc/

If you are just seeing this thread, here is my post on this on Reddit, and the over 500 responses from all over the world pretty much explains everything. So, if you haven't signed a letter of protest yet (if your from the usa) it also has a link to the ama tool to do so.

Neither Japan nor the USA make a Ktm/Beta/Husky dirtbike/trail bike/trials bike with Brembo brakes, Brembo Clutch, good exhaust, rockin suspension-in stock form. To add those to a new Yamaha or Honda dirtbike would cost far more than just buying KTM/Beta/Husky.

Send in an e-letter denouncing this idea, before the public opinion deadline January 30th! We dirt riders need your help!

www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/5pt5nb/usa_considering_a_100_tariff_on_all_euro_500cc/

Interesting, we seem to have lost a few posts on this thread . . .

I'm talking about the CURRENT administration and their likely response to a petition opposing something they want to have happen. It would almost certainly be futile. I believe direct communication with your reps would be your best bet.

Regarding previous petitions and how effective they were, Trump is not Reagan, and this is not 1980's, 1990's politics. This is a new game. And the action was brought on by an industry not affected by the tariff, deeply lessening their position.

I'm also not saying that petitions don't have a place nor are ineffective - only in this administration.

Good luck with your petition.

the EU doesn't want our beef because they want to protect their industry plain and simple especially with the earlier mad cow episodes. This nonsense about who's beef is better is just that, personally i like the steak better in the US but either way US beef is very safe and much more strictly regulated then poultry or pork that's why you can eat it pretty much raw.

what's interesting is Japan is very strict on anything we try to export over there so maybe we should watch out about that !

Archived