The MT-07 Forum

Seat bolts remove

liami

I have an aftermarket seat that's super comfortable...but it's a huge pain in the butt to take off the bike. Like it literally took an hour for me to install it the first time and probably 20-30 minutes the second time. The material is so thick that it's super hard to fold back enough to make room for the bolts and tools for mounting it. Does anybody ever ride without bolts or, preferably, know of anything to replace the bolts with (piece of hardware) to just make that entire process easier?

Replace the bolts with a stud and have a pin going through the top similar to a hood pin would be a fairly simple solution to the problem. As for how much it would move around I wouldn't be able to tell you.

I recommend to use a looong, flat head screw driver to slip under the corner of the seat to pry it and hold up in place and use the other hand to start the bolt and then finish with a hex wrench. Takes some muscle still but doable.

Beemer

I'm not sure if it's doable but at some point I plan to look at the possibility of installing dzus fasteners in those two bolt locations but don't know...

Yea that's what I was looking at too
I just bought a new battery charger so may have the seat off soon to install a charging pigtail, will get back with any conclusions on the dzus idea... 

• Premium Member

Just my personal opinion, but using Dzus fasteners of various sorts on race cars forever (not my idea on those either) they are... not a good option when anything else will suffice. Their saving grace is speed of on/off... IF all aligns right.

Just my personal opinion, but using Dzus fasteners of various sorts on race cars forever (not my idea on those either) they are... not a good option when anything else will suffice. Their saving grace is speed of on/off... IF all aligns right.
I maintain aircraft that are full of DZUS or similar type fasteners. This is pretty much my opinion of them. One panels that line up perfectly they are great, if the panel is slightly off, or it has bent over the years they are a miserable nightmare to get to fasten properly. Great for panels I need to pull constantly, but honestly not worth the effort of installing them on something that I will not be removing more than once or twice a year.

On the floor of some cars, there are little nubs that stick up. The corresponding floor mat for that section of the car has a female portion that just clips, and it takes effort to pop back off, but not too much. I would love to be able to attach something like that via a bolt attached to the male end, screwed into the existing mounts. Maybe I could just go to a junkyard and pull those fasteners off old cars, unless someone knows where I can get them?

Or, reverse the screw. If I can reach under the hole, maybe I can mount the screws upside down through the holes themselves, so that they're always there. Then all I'd have to do is slip the seat pan mounts over top the screws, and then a nut would be used to keep the seat held down. That would be very easy, and just need to use a wrench to get the nut off, then the seat will slide back off

Yeah, I've been in aviation for 30+ years also and have installed and used all kinds of dzus's and camlocks etc. and really have no problem with them especially philips head style but whatever, besides I'm really liking the industrial Velcro idea or the reverse bolt/nut. I'm using the Velcro to hold a miniature radiator over flow bottle and it's really secure and as a side benefit, Velcro provides a bit of vibration damping. I still think it's silly to have to bend the corners of the seat back to access the mounts, geesh Yamaha!

Yea seriously, you'd think they'd come up with a better design after so long! I just don't know exactly how well Velcro would hold up to bumps at 40+ mph. That's my only hesitation in using it

You'll be hard pressed to move that seat with the hvy duty grade Velcro, just have to lift the seat and see if there is enough flattish areas for adhering it to both sides, if not then it's a no go any way.

I wonder if it would be possible to hace two wires fastened in the seat, run them trough the holes and up under the rear seat, hook them up to something there. A spring could be involved to keep some tension on it. Then it would be possible to unhook it under the rear seat to remove the front.

I use extra loose padding held in place by sheet neoprene which is minimally secured by velcro. It stays in place. The underside of the seat pan hugs the frame each side and that might be an ideal place for velcro strips. Thanks for this thread because I shall be looking to do this now. What a relief to get rid of those bolts!

Just do it! 

Archived