The MT-07 Forum

Noob question about fz 07 exhaust.

junfeng1116

I am new to the fz 07 community. I am thinking about to get an aftermarket exhaust. Do I need a tune for a full exhaust swap? Will I get a check engine light if I don't tune the ecu? I don't want any performance gain. Only wanting something sounds a little better than the stock exhaust. Any recommendation? Thanks a lot!

I am new to the fz 07 community. I am thinking about to get an aftermarket exhaust. Do I need a tune for a full exhaust swap? Will I get a check engine light if I don't tune the ecu? I don't want any performance gain. Only wanting something sounds a little better than the stock exhaust. Any recommendation? Thanks a lot!
If you go with a full system (Downtube+exhaust) a EKJ,PCV or ECU flash should be done or your are going to run lean and be missing out on a little power. 
Slip-on you can get away without a tune,but IMO I would still tune as bikes all run a bit lean for EPA.

As long as you have the O2 connected you should not get a CEL. I can't comment on the EKJ, but I know the PCV and ECU reflash (I have a ECU reflash) keep the stock 02 in.

I am running the full Akra TI system and love it,but you are looking at about $900 for that + tune or flash.

If you go with a full system (Downtube+exhaust) a EKJ,PCV or ECU flash should be done or your are going to run lean and be missing out on a little power. 
Slip-on you can get away without a tune,but IMO I would still tune as bikes all run a bit lean for EPA.

As long as you have the O2 connected you should not get a CEL. I can't comment on the EKJ, but I know the PCV and ECU reflash (I have a ECU reflash) keep the stock 02 in.

I am running the full Akra TI system and love it,but you are looking at about $900 for that + tune or flash.
Thanks for the reply! Actually I just laid my bike down last week and the exhaust tip got all scratched up. I was thinking if i should change to a aftermarket or get another factory exhaust. now I know it costs too much to get an aftermarket, I better just got another factory since I need money to fix up other parts too...

I think I read on akrapovic's website or somewhere that the Titanium race exhaust required no fueling adjustment out of the box with the DB killer installed. Not sure if it said no tuning needed with their cat also or not but you don't need that cat if you are in the US plus it's an extra part and does not come with the akra Ti exhaust.

Either way I would plan on getting a fueling system or ECU flash along with the exhaust to get the most bang for your buck. Usually my initial engine mods start with Exhaust, higher flowing air filter (IE: K&N DNA which ever performance filter you choose), and fueling all at once. Letting more air in, more air out, and fueling to accommodate those changes and you definitely feel a difference.

They are all right, but you should not have issues if you decide to change the whole exhaust system - no lights nor nothing will appear on the dashboard, but you may lose some power. I have it this way, an aftermarket exhaust and at the moment no extra filter nor fuel controller or ECU reflash.

Safe riding!

Thanks for the reply! Actually I just laid my bike down last week and the exhaust tip got all scratched up. I was thinking if i should change to a aftermarket or get another factory exhaust. now I know it costs too much to get an aftermarket, I better just got another factory since I need money to fix up other parts too...
That $900 is for a top of the line exhaust system, you can get cheaper ones for half that price which is (rough guess) probably close to the cost of a stock exhaust if not cheaper. GL! 
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FZ-07-MT-07-Danmoto-Exhaust/dp/B017662OK4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1485094282&sr=8-13&keywords=exhaust+system+fz-07

https://www.amazon.com/Hotbodies-Racing-81401-2403-Stainless-Canister/dp/B019N24SAI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1485094282&sr=8-8&keywords=exhaust+system+fz-07

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FZ-07-MT-07-Danmoto-Exhaust/dp/B017662PIA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1485094282&sr=8-6&keywords=exhaust+system+fz-07

Beemer

That $900 is for a top of the line exhaust system, you can get cheaper ones for half that price which is (rough guess) probably close to the cost of a stock exhaust if not cheaper. GL! ...

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FZ-07-MT-07-Danmoto-Exhaust/dp/B017662PIA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1485094282&sr=8-6&keywords=exhaust+system+fz-07

That third exhaust is the closest thing to a straight pipe I've seen being sold for our bike. I wonder how it sounds like. 
edit: Yep, that's a straight pipe all right...

If you are only going for sound characteristics get a slip on. But no matter what you do I would recommend getting a tune of some sort. I'm partial to the ECU reflash from 2wdw. Aside from performance gains the main (and I believe most important) difference is the throttle input. The fz07 has an extremely jerky throttle and the reflash smooths it right out. I would recommend getting it even if you never changed exhausts.

I think I read on akrapovic's website or somewhere that the Titanium race exhaust required no fueling adjustment out of the box with the DB killer installed. Not sure if it said no tuning needed with their cat also or not but you don't need that cat if you are in the US plus it's an extra part and does not come with the akra Ti exhaust. 
Either way I would plan on getting a fueling system or ECU flash along with the exhaust to get the most bang for your buck. Usually my initial engine mods start with Exhaust, higher flowing air filter (IE: K&N DNA which ever performance filter you choose), and fueling all at once. Letting more air in, more air out, and fueling to accommodate those changes and you definitely feel a difference.
Thanks! but the thing is I dont have too much budget... just laid my bike down last week. have to fix the bike first.. what if I only want some better sounding, dont care any power gain? will the m4 slip-on exhaust damage the engine without a tune.

If you are only going for sound characteristics get a slip on. But no matter what you do I would recommend getting a tune of some sort. I'm partial to the ECU reflash from 2wdw. Aside from performance gains the main (and I believe most important) difference is the throttle input. The fz07 has an extremely jerky throttle and the reflash smooths it right out. I would recommend getting it even if you never changed exhausts.
I see. is there a pug n play ecu flash tool you recommend? how much does it cost?

They are all right, but you should not have issues if you decide to change the whole exhaust system - no lights nor nothing will appear on the dashboard, but you may lose some power. I have it this way, an aftermarket exhaust and at the moment no extra filter nor fuel controller or ECU reflash.
Thanks! I might just do what you do..

That $900 is for a top of the line exhaust system, you can get cheaper ones for half that price which is (rough guess) probably close to the cost of a stock exhaust if not cheaper. GL! 
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FZ-07-MT-07-Danmoto-Exhaust/dp/B017662OK4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1485094282&sr=8-13&keywords=exhaust+system+fz-07

https://www.amazon.com/Hotbodies-Racing-81401-2403-Stainless-Canister/dp/B019N24SAI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1485094282&sr=8-8&keywords=exhaust+system+fz-07

How much does it cost to get a tune tho? Is there a plug and play tuning tool or I have to bring it in to a shop to have some one do it?

@junfeng1116 the tune I recommended previously from @2wheeldynoworks costs in the neighborhood of $300, depending on if they're having a sale currently or not. I'm not positive about their current rate, but I'm sure Nels the owner will reply to this post with some info.

The way it works is you remove your ECU from the bike, which is very simple.

Tutorial:

After that you ship it to 2WDW and about 1-2 weeks later you will receive your ECU in the mail (may vary on your location). Then you just plug it back in and you're good to go.

You can also get a Power Commander, but those require a dyno session and after everything is said and done it's a bit more costly.
Or you can get an ejk fuel controller from dobeck performance, but this is a more involved installation since you have to remove the fuel tank to an extent to get to the injectors and bypass the plugs.

I have both the ejk and the ECU reflash and I don't use the ejk anymore because I don't need to modify any of the fueling settings from the reflash; it runs perfectly. The ejk also does fewer things to the bike because it only modifies fueling. The reflash changes the actual ECU settings.

@junfeng1116 the tune I recommended previously from @2wheeldynoworks costs in the neighborhood of $300, depending on if they're having a sale currently or not. I'm not positive about their current rate, but I'm sure Nels the owner will reply to this post with some info.  
The way it works is you remove your ECU from the bike, which is very simple.

Tutorial:

After that you ship it to 2WDW and about 1-2 weeks later you will receive your ECU in the mail (may vary on your location). Then you just plug it back in and you're good to go.

You can also get a Power Commander, but those require a dyno session and after everything is said and done it's a bit more costly.
Or you can get an ejk fuel controller from dobeck performance, but this is a more involved installation since you have to remove the fuel tank to an extent to get to the injectors and bypass the plugs.

I have both the ejk and the ECU reflash and I don't use the ejk anymore because I don't need to modify any of the fueling settings from the reflash; it runs perfectly. The ejk also does fewer things to the bike because it only modifies fueling. The reflash changes the actual ECU settings.
seems like the 2wdw is the best bet. Thanks for the advice!

2wheeldynoworks

Price is $319 and we do 2 day USPS priority return shipping so once it leaves us, you get it in 2 days. any questions feel free to contact us any time

Thanks! but the thing is I dont have too much budget... just laid my bike down last week. have to fix the bike first.. what if I only want some better sounding, dont care any power gain? will the m4 slip-on exhaust damage the engine without a tune.
Any time you alter how much air is going into or out of an engine you "have to" adjust fueling for the bike to run properly no matter what. Running an engine lean is bad for it. It's bad for valves, pistons, spark plugs, you get overheating issues and so on. An internal combustion engine is nothing but an air pump, the more air going in and out rises the need for more fuel to accommodate those air changes. 
If funds are an issue just wait and save money, it's not going to kill you. It's what I did. I was lucky enough to have alot of overtime at work at the time I purchased my exhaust and accessories. I already had the money saved and reserved for the bike itself my OT payed for all the accessories. Plus tax season is around the corner and if you get a decent return, there you go.

If you want something better sounding for the time being, just do the stock exhaust mod by drilling holes around the outlet tube. It's ghetto but it's louder.

Any time you alter how much air is going into or out of an engine you "have to" adjust fueling for the bike to run properly no matter what. Running an engine lean is bad for it. It's bad for valves, pistons, spark plugs, you get overheating issues and so on. An internal combustion engine is nothing but an air pump, the more air going in and out rises the need for more fuel to accommodate those air changes. 
If funds are an issue just wait and save money, it's not going to kill you. It's what I did. I was lucky enough to have alot of overtime at work at the time I purchased my exhaust and accessories. I already had the money saved and reserved for the bike itself my OT payed for all the accessories. Plus tax season is around the corner and if you get a decent return, there you go.

If you want something better sounding for the time being, just do the stock exhaust mod by drilling holes around the outlet tube. It's ghetto but it's louder.

yea Saving up money is the best bet. I might try the stock exhaust mod tho thank you!

I put an M4 on last year and have put about 1500 miles on since the install. I do not have a flash or a fuel controller and run with the baffle in. The bike has ran just fine for me no backfire, etc. Runs pretty bad with the baffle out though. I plan to add a controller this next season. If you wanted to do the M4 you could without a flash or controller, but just be aware you may need to run baffle in until you can afford one. Still sounds great with the baffle in.

Archived