The MT-07 Forum

Cheap damper and bracket. Anyone have one of these?

username

• Premium Member

I've been thinking of getting a damper for a while now to get rid of some of the handle bar vibrations and just to see how the overall handling of the bike changes with one of these. I'm just wondering if anyone has bought one of these yet or would advise not to buy a cheap damper. The bracket is only 50.00 by itself. To buy just the bracket and then an Ohlins damper could always be an option also.
Does anybody have any experience with cheap ebay dampers?

Are you asking about a steering damper? They serve a purpose (handling stability - high speed stuff, landing wheelies, etc.) but quelling vibration isn't on the list.

Using a cheap damper isn't recommended because the valving in cheap dampers generally isn't good. If you adjust the resistance properly for low speed scenarios the damping will be useless at high speeds and if it's set properly for high speeds it will be over-damped at low speeds. Also dampers help with rough surfaces, which can make the bars feel vibrate-y, but if they feel that way on smooth road surface the damper won't alleviate any of the feeling.

• Premium Member

Ah ok. So a damper is kinda of pointless for me then. Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

• Premium Member

Screenshot_2017_01_22_14_06_23.png

Wondering if anyone has tried this. Says some have sold out but have not seen any input.

• Premium Member

The good thing about the cheaper one is it comes with a bracket where you can put a good damper on if you like the idea of having one. I'm guessing the piston that comes with the bracket is sub par at best.

• Premium Member

What am I missing here? I know I'm not the most aggressive rider in the world, at least not for the last couple decades, hehehe... but, this thing isn't a tank-slapper, that is unless perhaps you're seriously pushing it on the track. Right or wrong, kiddies???

Archived