The MT-07 Forum

Ultimate noob question regarding shifting.

darthyam

is it bad to go for first while i am rolling like say at 5 mph or so ? Should i be going for neutral when i come to a stop and then go into first. i want to improve my shifting and prolong my gear box life. Thanks in advance. Yams

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen

Be sure to slip the clutch out slowly, instead of abruptly engaging it.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

booboobusfz07

Seriously though. I downshift to first all the time. Hard decel, or anytime im going under 10mph usually. More than half the time i dont even use my clutch. Lil throttle blip as you apply shift pressure and itll slip into gear like hot knife through butter.

I usually never down shift into first, I just keep it second unless I know I am going for a full stop. It's the hardest rev match to get correct on this bike.

is it bad to go for first while i am rolling like say at 5 mph or so ? Should i be going for neutral when i come to a stop and then go into first. i want to improve my shifting and prolong my gear box life. Thanks in advance. Yams
Automatic vehicles go into 1st at that speed for a good reason so no, it's not bad. If you're concerned about making a quick getaway for whatever reason it's best to keep it in 1st gear (some prefer 2nd). I usually only go into neutral 'after' a car has pulled up behind me at a light or if I can see no one is coming up from behind. 

Beemer

booboobusfz07
Automatic vehicles go into 1st at that speed for a good reason so no, it's not bad. If you're concerned about making a quick getaway for whatever reason it's best to keep it in 1st gear (some prefer 2nd). I usually only go into neutral 'after' a car has pulled up behind me at a light or if I can see no one is coming up from behind.

Agreed. Safety first man. Always have an exit strategy.

Thanks for the insight guys :)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the situation. if I know I'm coming to a full stop I usually rev match downshift all the way to around 2nd gear (with or without brakes, depends on the situation), and then from there I pull the clutch in while braking and shifting to 1st or neutral (depending on if i want to start going right after or if I'm stopped at a light). i tend not to rev match downshift to 1st because sometimes I'm already at 1st gear, so you end up just jerking the bike forward when you try to rev match downshift from 1st gear to 1st gear.

If I'm just slowing down then I always rev match and pretty much always stay in gear. I made the mistake of always pulling in the clutch and slowing down and then dropping the clutch either in the high gear i was at or dropping down to a gear that i have no idea if its the right gear for that speed. You end up getting that jerk from getting back in gear and wearing your clutch in doing so.

If I'm just rolling onto my driveway or whatnot then I'd sometimes just leave it in 1st or 2nd gear without any throttle and the bike's idle will move the bike going around 5-8mph.

Archived