The MT-07 Forum

Mirror shaft removal at outboard end?

markstertt

I was wondering if anyone knew how or if the mirror comes off the shaft at the outboard end. It's kind of a knuckle affair and I would think the shaft would be threaded on but I stopped short of screwing it up so I could ask here. I would like to extend the shaft a half inch or so with one of carbon fiber and have two options depending on whether or not that outboard end comes off. Anyone know? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

If you are still dealing with this Q I'd suggest checking the Service Manual. I'm not where mine is or I'd look for you. If you are going to do your on work you may wish to pick one up yourself to have on hand.

Thanks Avanti, I have the factory service manual, I like paper. My question isn't covered in a manual, I just didn't want to put a pair of vicegrips on the mirror shaft without knowing. The idea was to remove the shaft, cut the center out, turn the cut ends down to 8mm, slip a pc. of 10mmx8mm carbon fiber tube over the ends(bonded on) with a slightly longer length so that I can see around my massive overbuilt shoulders. In the past I've just cut and welded a pc. in the middle but thought I'd go CF for fun, besides it's been raining forever so just playing around. If that end won't come out, I'll just cut out the center and slip 12mm x 10mm CF tubing over the ends, not much larger but draggier and I know you know all about round tubes and drag from your speed endeavors.

• Premium Member

Sheesh, you are a better man than I, looking to do all that when one could simply buy aftermarket extensions (some look OEM) and add to the bottom end of the shaft.

I do, though, appreciate a challenge. I'm waiting for a new 5" Garmin GPS to install above my instrument cluster as much for the fun of designing and fabbing the mount as for actual use... so, I guess, who am I to question, hehehehe! Let us know how it turns out.

Will do Avanti, I looked at the mirror extenders but the ones I saw looked like two bottom mounts doubled up and I like the CF look and a lot of it is available on ebay so a little time and around $10 and 'voila'. yeah, it's the challenge more than anything albeit this is a very small one but the mirrors need just a bit more length.

Archived