The MT-07 Forum

07R Video

mossrider

A short video of a couple laps at BIR aboard the 07R. Keep in mind I race for the chicks and fun, not the big$ to be had in club racing.

[video src=https://youtu.be/q4WTDCOCvU4]
Now where are those paddock girls?

• Global Moderator

What is causing the difference in rpm at lean vs vertical?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

If you think of the shape of the tire (cross section), it is essentially a smaller diameter donut toward the edge of the tire so the wheel has to rotate faster for a given speed...

• Global Moderator
If you think of the shape of the tire (cross section), it is essentially a smaller diameter donut toward the edge of the tire so the wheel has to rotate faster for a given speed...

It makes sense but i thought track tires had a much more agressive shape to them allowing for greater contact at lean therefore causing a reversed effect
Or am i overthingking this

It makes sense but i thought track tires had a much more agressive shape to them allowing for greater contact at lean therefore causing a reversed effect Or am i overthingking this
You're close but over synapsing it a bit, race your donut around the table tomorrow morning at coffee and check it out. Pretty cool.

• Premium Member
Here's that start from another angle... [video src=https://youtu.be/lndx3RS5HFo]

Awesome wheelie for the red bike in the second row.

• Global Moderator

The white bike next to you is an FZ07r as well?

That's me on 155 (grids are numbered starting from inside wall), Matt on 79 is an FZ07 too. Those are SV650's on the outsides of the grid. That awesome tomahawk wheelie is Harry on a built red Ducati 620 Monster. Pierre pulls his SV off the starting grid. The rest of that wave is on SV's. I think this was from a SuperTwins/Sportsman race so the second wave (not seen in vids) would be older MW bikes like Josh on his 1999? R6 and Adam on a Honda 600f4. These are bikes that aren't quite up to current Middleweight standards but are still big time fun/fast in Lightweight class. 

the second wave (not seen in vids) would be older MW bikes like Josh on his 1999? R6 and Adam on a Honda 600f4. These are bikes that aren't quite up to current Middleweight standards but are still big time fun/fast in Lightweight class. 
Sorry to hijack - you can race a 600f4 in lightweight class?

the second wave (not seen in vids) would be older MW bikes like Josh on his 1999? R6 and Adam on a Honda 600f4. These are bikes that aren't quite up to current Middleweight standards but are still big time fun/fast in Lightweight class. 
Sorry to hijack - you can race a 600f4 in lightweight class?
I'm not a Honda guy so I'm not sure what year his bike is but yes, you can race older 600 fours as well as others such as Huricanes, Ninja 600, Katana, Buells, etc. It's a little more complicated than that in actuality, they run in the same race but are scored seperately. They start as their own wave (Sportsman for instance run in conjuction with our Supertwins race) It helps fill out the grids, makes more efficient use of track time, and creates a hella fun, close race. In club racing you often find mixed grids, Featherweight bikes (r3, ninja 300) running with Ultralight bikes (bigger singles, 450 motards and KTM690 etc) and Spec Class Ninja 250. Our Lightweight bikes will run against 2 stroke 250's in Grand Prix class but are scored seperately once again. And of course you can always 'bump up' a class and run in a higher class. This is challenging and exciting. Each club or organizations covers the finer points of these issues in their respective rule books and all vary to some degree. It's not uncommon to have a great race with someone and find out after the race they were on some exotic machine, (Kramer), a relic (rd400) or that they are an old fart, young lady or 14 year old kid. Super fun. Sorry if I went too far here.☺

Thanks for the info. I read in the CRA rulebook that you can race a cbr (older than 2004) in the sportsmen class. It looks like sportsmen class and supertwins expert/novice are all scored together, when looking at past race results. Does it seem like I have that right?

I have a 2000 cbr, and the itch to race something. I also race atv, dirtbike, and mountain bikes - only one discipline each year. So... Trying to decide which one I do in 2017. :)

Thanks for the info. I read in the CRA rulebook that you can race a cbr (older than 2004) in the sportsmen class. It looks like sportsmen class and supertwins expert/novice are all scored together, when looking at past race results. Does it seem like I have that right? 
I have a 2000 cbr, and the itch to race something. I also race atv, dirtbike, and mountain bikes - only one discipline each year. So... Trying to decide which one I do in 2017. :)
We have classes to race anything including toasters, as long as it has 2 wheels of course! You'd never regret it, that I guarantee! My wife and I both ride. I race, she volunteers as a Safety Worker. She drags downed bikes off course and protects riders, flags corners, runs radios and helps direct rescue efforts. She is a true hero. As my sponsor, team CEO, coach, manager and best friend, I'm SO lucky to share a hobby we both love. Race clubs are a super close knit group and we share tons of activities together as an extended family during race weekends. Cook offs, Bonn fires, pit bike racing, mud wrestling, wrenching on cool/fast schitt, camping and peaceful happy hour toddies. Many in the club are multi discipline speed junkies, you'd be among like minded folks for sure.  Below are some more pics to show what's going on off track... 
'Warden' regulating

IMG_3251_X2.jpg

Dedication

11032372_10155554466460641_8470036512302499404_o_X2.jpg

Campers everywhere chilling

20160610_210912_X2.jpg

Bossin, not just me

IMG_3078_X2.jpg

The other racers were concerned for my safety so left me this one night, Dicks.

13243899_10209413382556397_57039330184564070_o.jpg
kids

IMG_8089_X3.jpg

upload photo

More kids

IMG_8436_X3.jpg
and Dad's

10378140_10204347362233896_2483201072545106314_n.jpg

Great fun!! Thanks for posting.
You guys are all welcome!  
Even if you do/don't/will/won't race you owe it to yourselves and our sport of motorcycling to stop by your local track and enjoy some racing and comraderie. Such fun and it supports the manufacturers, vendors, suppliers and businesses that keep us on the roads.

• Premium Member

I wonder when we will see a FZ07R at the Isle of Man TT? Or if the 689cc engine would even be allowed to run in the 650cc Supertwin class?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I wonder when we will see a FZ07R at the Isle of Man TT? Or if the 689cc engine would even be allowed to run in the 650cc Supertwin class?

Funny you should bring it up! My buddy Antonio Maeso in Spain has campaigned an Aussie spec (649cc) FZ07R last year in the NW200 and is currently building one for the IOM right now! He has raced it before on 600 & 1000cc machines.Check out his Facebook and Twitter feeds. I can't post a link from my stupid phone tho. Funny story bout the bike it was impounded after the NW200 because it didn't pass tech at the time due to homologation but should be good this year after he petitioned it.

• Global Moderator
Funny you should bring it up! My buddy Antonio Maeso in Spain has campaigned an Aussie spec (649cc) FZ07R last year in the NW200 and is currently building one for the IOM right now! He has raced it before on 600 & 1000cc machines.Check out his Facebook and Twitter feeds. I can't post a link from my stupid phone tho. Funny story bout the bike it was impounded after the NW200 because it didn't pass tech at the time due to homologation but should be good this year after he petitioned it.
Sweeeet... cant wait

Here is Antonio Maeso Facebook link;

https://www.facebook.com/maeso34/?ref=ts&fref=ts

He is a great guy and racing lightweight bikes now for the love of racing. He used to have a full KTM ride and raced BMW's for a time as well with strong sponsorship. This time around he is doing it by himself, w/o major sponsorship. Here are a couple pics of our new FZed
IOM pilot;

On the FZ07 in the 2016 NW200
antonio_maeso_northwest.jpg
Spoogalicious

On a Kawi 650
antonio_maeso_2012.jpg

With his KTM
antonio_maeso_tt_man_ktm_080512.jpg

• Premium Member

Thanks! I'm following him on Facebook now. Awesome stuff!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Thanks! I'm following him on Facebook now. Awesome stuff!
It's been a lot of fun coresponding with him the past several months. Not only is he a gifted racer but he is quite a machinist and engineer. I wish I could say my role was that of 'Speers' or 'Graves' ?, but in actuality its much less dramatic. Because of the number of race miles I have accumulated on mine he has asked for bits of info here and there. It has been super fun to collaborate, even trivially, on a project like this. 

Archived