The MT-07 Forum

Ninja 300 & Fz-07 2 up experiences?

roarence

I currently have been riding a ninja 300 for a long while now, and of course, have been looking at the fz-07 as my next bike.

My main question is about 2UP between the two bikes, because there wasn't a lot of information I could search up.

For those who have upgraded from a 300 class to a fz-07, how was the handling? On the 300, riding 2 up would change the feel of the bike for the worse and I feel feel uncomfortable and almost unsafe 2up on a 300. Is it significantly different on the fz-07? Or is it the same?

My friend would always tell me his jump from his 250 to a 600 inline-4 was a huge improvement for riding 2nup because of the power and stability. Would this be the same for a fz-07?

You'll have more than enough power for 2 on the FZ07. Stability depends mostly of the skill of the passenger to be able to lean with the rider and not jerk forward or backward when you brake or accelerate. I've never had any problem with my fiancee on the back because she has 10+ years riding experience herself, but I've had some scary rides with novices on the back who insisted on leaning opposite me in corners. If you think the extra weight might be an issue since the FZ's suspensions are a little soft to begin with, try firming up the rear shock a click or two more than you would for solo and/or bumping up the rear tire pressure before going out.

Although my comparison is based on the R3, it is very similar to a Ninja 300 so I'll proceed on that.

The Fz07 will be significantly different on 2 aspects. Slow speed handling. The biggest issue with 2up riding is the low speed stability. You will find you will be able to handle the FZ07 much more better than the Ninja 300. I say this because I HATE having a passenger on the R3. It is just terrible. Never going to do it again. But I still have passengers on my FZ07.

If you have no other motorcycle experience other than your Ninja 300, naked bikes, including the FZ07, have superior low speed handling. Slow maneuvers and the like are near effortless. On the Ninja 300, you may feel like you are fighting the steering when you try to do sub 5mph turns and whatnot. This issue is amplified with a passenger. This is why I hate 2up on the R3. On the FZ07, its no big deal. No issues.  It should be a hell of a lot better on the FZ07 compared to your Ninja 300.

Now the negative. The FZ07 has bad suspension. I don't mind it so much by myself, but the effect is drastic and noticeable with a passenger. You may find the FZ07 will feel worse suspension wise when you have passenger compared to your Ninja 300. At least, I never hear anything about the Ninja 300 having a bad suspension. And my R3 does have a better suspension feel than the FZ07.

So there you go. Handling will be better overall except on stops- do not accidentally have any form of jerky stops as the suspension will screw with you and may cause imbalance on your stop.  Pay special mind to the front brakes.  The front fork pogo effect is unforgiving with a passenger.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Oh man, exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for all the insight and the notes about the suspension

This is one of my main factors of upgrading! Im glad to know it'll be a good advantage in my considerations

If just cruising around the FZ-07 can do it better, yes. It's all about the ergonomics. You're riding more upright with wider bars and have better control. If riding aggressively I wouldn't recommend a passenger on any bike. ;)

Beemer

Never rode a 300, but the fz07 carries my girlfriend on the back with me, with ease. There is a noticeable change, but there will be with most, if not all, bikes

I had a YZFR-125 (small version of Yamaha's R3) and now an FZ - my GF is very happy with the upgrade and handling wise, even though 2 up will make it worse in every sense, still it is much better than the small R by far - safer with the decent brakes and suspension, as long as you don't do crazy things when 2-up!

Safe riding!

Lot's depends on how heavy the passenger is. Like ...if your spouse is 200 lbs+ its going to be a miserable ride on both(most) bikes ... Not that I know from experience ....but this happened to a guy I know...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

I've ridden two up once and that was because one of our fellow forum members had to leave his bike behind and it sucked. Bike felt extremely different. Granted it was my first time riding with a passenger and his first time riding as a passenger.

Me ~ 200lbs.
Passenger ~ 160lbs.

My opinion: FZ07 is not a good 2 up bike unless you and the passenger are featherweights.

Full disclosure: This first experience was in the twisties and not on the regular road ???

SigSide.jpg

• Premium Member

If not already mentioned, total rider weight and how it is distributed between the two of you is an issue... especially on a 400# bike.

I've ridden two up once and that was because one of our fellow forum members had to leave his bike behind and it sucked. Bike felt extremely different. Granted it was my first time riding with a passenger and his first time riding as a passenger.  
Me ~ 200lbs.
Passenger ~ 160lbs.

My opinion: FZ07 is not a good 2 up bike unless you and the passenger are featherweights.

Full disclosure: This first experience was in the twisties and not on the regular road ???

Which lucky forum member got to grab ahold of your waist and why is there no pics?  (rofl)

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename
Me ~ 200lbs.
Passenger ~ 160lbs.

Which lucky forum member got to grab ahold of your waist and why is there no pics?  (rofl)
It was @cruzian3

Here:

SigSide.jpg

Archived