The MT-07 Forum

Ready to do 1st service (600 miles), how come diff. prices?

asaulo1

Had my first service done on Tuesday and yes it was expensive, but after I installed my akra titanium the exhaust was popping and farting at high rpm on decel, tech who worked on my bike adjusted the fuel delivery and it runs great now very minimal popping and backfiring. Definitely expensive but happy I took it there.

Akra titanium no db killer, Vagabond rear fender eliminator, Cyclone LED headlight

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had my 600 mile service performed at the dealer where I bought it and cost was $130 w/ throttle body sync. The bike runs great right now, though that may be just because of the fresh oil.

I don't mind taking the bike in to my dealer since they are a family owned business and they treat me right. Half of this decision is keeping the bike maintained and the other half is helping out a great small business in my town.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

I just had my 600 mile service performed at the dealer where I bought it and cost was $130 w/ throttle body sync. The bike runs great right now, though that may be just because of the fresh oil. 
I don't mind taking the bike in to my dealer since they are a family owned business and they treat me right. Half of this decision is keeping the bike maintained and the other half is helping out a great small business in my town.
Hmm, I wonder why my dealer is quoting me $190 + $40 for parts ? Do you have a receipt you could break down for me by any chance? I just want to know why my dealer is quote $100 more than your 1st service

I keeps it real
Instagram: @mr_neeme

Hmm, I wonder why my dealer is quoting me $190 + $40 for parts ? Do you have a receipt you could break down for me by any chance? I just want to know why my dealer is quote $100 more than your 1st service
I do have a receipt but I have to think it's all about location and what the dealer feels they can charge for the work in that area. They only charged me one hour of labor at $95 and $32.55 for parts (oil/gasket/filter).

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

I do have a receipt but I have to think it's all about location and what the dealer feels they can charge for the work in that area. They only charged me one hour of labor at $95 and $32.55 for parts (oil/gasket/filter).
Understood, I wonder why this shop is looking at 2 hours of labor? 

I keeps it real

I'm not sure why one dealer would spec 2 hours vs 1 hour of labor.

I'm not sure why one dealer would spec 2 hours vs 1 hour of labor.
My jump to conclusions mat informs me this particular dealer enjoys money.  
But yeah, that's annoying. You would think these things would be standardized... 

Select year, select make, select model , select service and it kicks back hours, parts, etc

I keeps it real

Just a quick FYI to all.

I just got my first service done at K&B Motorsports in Petaluma, CA today

2 hours labor ($190) + $35.61 in parts (oil + filter element) which would have been $225.61 + tax

The shop honored a $50 off any service of $250 or more that I had from Yamaha for completing an email survey I received asking about my bike purchase. So out the door I was at $178.54 today for first service.... so to all you new FZ07 guys out there... try to follow suit... save some cash

I keeps it real

Just a quick FYI to all.  
I just got my first service done at K&B Motorsports in Petaluma, CA today

2 hours labor ($190) + $35.61 in parts (oil + filter element) which would have been $225.61 + tax

The shop honored a $50 off any service of $250 or more that I had from Yamaha for completing an email survey I received asking about my bike purchase. So out the door I was at $178.54 today for first service.... so to all you new FZ07 guys out there... try to follow suit... save some cash

Yes i did the same survey.

Guest 2wheeler

These type of threads or responders keep popping up on this forum. My suggestion is to listen to the oldtimers. First, it's a Yamaha so it doesnt typically (as in ever) break. Those laundry lists of the things they supposedly check at a dealership are a money grabbing joke.

TB Synch - if it's idling fine, don't worry about it.
Invest in a torque wrench, then change your oil and filter.
After that, take a rag with a little kerosene/diesel fuel on it and rub down your chain. Tighten your chain if needed, then apply a good chain lube.
Lastly, adjust your clutch and brake levers, brake pedal and throttle cable.
The basic owner manual has all the info you need to do these things. These are things that you need to know how to do.

There you go, you are done. It took you a grand total of 30-45 minutes, and you've just had a great bonding moment with your FZ. Oh yeah, you saved $150-300 which you can invest in toys/upgrades for your FZ.... and you will! ;)

These type of threads or responders keep popping up on this forum. My suggestion is to listen to the oldtimers. First, it's a Yamaha so it doesnt typically (as in ever) break. Those laundry lists of the things they supposedly check at a dealership are a money grabbing joke.  
TB Synch - if it's idling fine, don't worry about it.
Invest in a torque wrench, then change your oil and filter.
After that, take a rag with a little kerosene/diesel fuel on it and rub down your chain. Tighten your chain if needed, then apply a good chain lube.
Lastly, adjust your clutch and brake levers, brake pedal and throttle cable.
The basic owner manual has all the info you need to do these things. These are things that you need to know how to do.

There you go, you are done. It took you a grand total of 30-45 minutes, and you've just had a great bonding moment with your FZ. Oh yeah, you saved $150-300 which you can invest in toys/upgrades for your FZ.... and you will! ;)

I plan on doing every service myself just wanted to have the dealer do the first in case anything odd turned up down the line.

I keeps it real

Here in London I called two yamaha service. One would've charged me £170 only service. The other £155 including fitting an akra. So, obviously i booked it with the second one.
When I went to collect my bike walking on the street I'd seen the mechanic doing wheelies on my bike.
My friend's got an r1. When he got it serviced in a different yamaha dealer his battery was replaced with a broken one.

Did my own service, changed the oil, everything else is just to get people to pay. I do throttle body syncs once a year regardless just because it's easy to do. This bike is almost as maintenance free as it gets.

• 2 weeks later...

Called my Dealer and was told the following for the 600 Mile check;

Change oil & filer, Check torque nuts and bolts, Check/adjust Chain tension.

All this for the great price of about $200.00!       

Not!

I will do my own regular maintenance. 

I've already adjusted the chain and did an oil and filter change. Easy as pie!

(I didn't see any metal shavings in the oil either).

Called two different dealers in my area to get a quote.

Both said 150 plus parts so around 200.

Then I asked both if throttle body adjustment was included. Both acted like they have never hear the term before

Then I explained that Yamaha suggest checking on throttle body at every service.

To which one replied if it's warranty work than that's different. I told him user manual states that throttle body has to be checked.

Then he replies if the manual states it then they will look it over.

At this point I had enough. I am going to do the service my self.

I have to find out who will check on throttle bodies.

Does it has to be motorcycle place or any car mechanic can help me with this ?

• 2 months later...
  • Global Moderator
When should I do the second oil change? I'm at 2,500 miles now.
There is a schedule in the owners manual. Do it at least as often as that says. There are many opinions as to wether you should change oil more often. It is usually a more heated topic than politics and religion combined.  

Guest ChicagoAJ
When should I do the second oil change? I'm at 2,500 miles now.
I did my second one at 3,7xx. Waited a bit too long for my tastes, but I kept putting it off. I usually do my bikes between 2,000-2,500 miles. If you don't ride that hard, you can easily get away with doing them every 4,000 miles like the manual says. Just make sure to change your filter every oil change UNLIKE the manual recommends. 

I can't believe this is such a topic. Either service it yourself or pay someone else to do it. For my money I find a reliable mechanic that will tell me what is up and how it can be fixed rather than someone who fixes it and then tells me about it.

Guest ChicagoAJ
I can't believe this is such a topic. Either service it yourself or pay someone else to do it. For my money I find a reliable mechanic that will tell me what is up and how it can be fixed rather than someone who fixes it and then tells me about it.
Says the guy who made a thread asking about when he should buy a bike...

martyinaustin

i did mine according to my mechanic's reco at 1,500 miles. seemed perfect as far as when to do it
by my riding style. after that, i think it's 4-6,000....

Says the guy who made a thread asking about when he should buy a bike...

Ouch....

My 600 service was $130 w/o the oil change. Included TB Sync and chain adjustment. One thing I noticed after I got it back was how much stiffer the shift lever was...not sure what was changed because i didn't see any noticeable changes on the linkage. Either way, it was smoother. I'm usually anti-dealer for maintenance / adjustments, but I wanted peace of mind for the 600 mile and to keep the dealer from throwing it in my face if any warranty work was needed later. From here on out i'll take care of everything else unless I decide to sync the TB again.

Guest ChicagoAJ
My 600 service was $130 w/o the oil change. Included TB Sync and chain adjustment. One thing I noticed after I got it back was how much stiffer the shift lever was...not sure what was changed because i didn't see any noticeable changes on the linkage. Either way, it was smoother. I'm usually anti-dealer for maintenance / adjustments, but I wanted peace of mind for the 600 mile and to keep the dealer from throwing it in my face if any warranty work was needed later. From here on out i'll take care of everything else unless I decide to sync the TB again.
It's super easy to do by yourself. Takes me about 15 minutes total. I made a DIY if you need help making the manometer. 

It's super easy to do by yourself. Takes me about 15 minutes total. I made a DIY if you need help making the manometer. 
I'll take a look, thanks.

Archived