The MT-07 Forum

Ready to do 1st service (600 miles), how come diff. prices?

asaulo1

So, I've called 3 different dealerships regarding having my FZ done with it's 1st service.... 1st dealer quoted me $280, next was $224 and the last told me that all it needed was an oil change and to check different things, i.e. chain tension, fluids, bolt torque, etc. and was charging $65.... now, I just want to know what your guys experience is with the 1st service and what was actually done.
Thanks.

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most dealers rip you off. This is why. Choose the $65 option or just do it yourself, it's so easy.

I do recommend having the throttle body's syncd though, important on a new bike.

Remember, dealers are all about gross profit margin, so they charge alot and then find mechanics willing to work for peanuts. The good mechanics start at a dealership and then quit and start their own shops. Go find those private bike mechanics in your area who will do better work for far less money than dealers. I have seen guy's bikes blow engines from driving away from the dealer with no oil, sprokets pop off when they forgot to tighten them, etc etc. They are expected to crap bikes out of the shop as fast as they can for little pay where private bike shops usually are about the quality of work.

• Premium Member

For the Yamaha warranty to be "valid", should one still do the milestone items (ie, 600 mile service) at a dealership? Or does a good shop suffice in the eyes of corporate Yamaha?

While I'm asking.. how does one register the Yamaha warranty? Bought mine "used", but it was never registered. Couldn't find much after a quick look online, just generators and such.

Everything went braap.

Documentation is what you need. Keep receipts of items purchased or services done by certified mechanics. That's all you need for warranty issues should they arise.

Guest MXRider
Documentation is what you need. Keep receipts of items purchased or services done by certified mechanics. That's all you need for warranty issues should they arise.
You actually don't even need that.

I'd keep the receipts for several reasons. Also in the owners manual there is a spot in the back to document it all as well. I asked the dealership where I bought mine about having someone other than a certified Yamaha dealership do my service, they asked who, and he said you should be fine. TB sync was what I was concerned about. When checked it was a little off and he adjusted it.

Guest MXRider
I'd keep the receipts for several reasons. Also in the owners manual there is a spot in the back to document it all as well. I asked the dealership where I bought mine about having someone other than a certified Yamaha dealership do my service, they asked who, and he said you should be fine. TB sync was what I was concerned about. When checked it was a little off and he adjusted it.
I know it's good to keep records, I'm just saying you don't have to prove anything for them to warranty something. They have to prove that something you did caused the problem for the claim in order to deny you.

If you did the first service yourself in your garage and didn't document it, Yamaha can't deny you a warranty claim down the road.

^^^^^True Story - I just like having documentation as far as dates and oil, ect....for many reasons, I am a freak like that.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the info guys. The only warrantied thing I've purchased, so just wanted to be clear.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
So, I've called 3 different dealerships regarding having my FZ done with it's 1st service.... 1st dealer quoted me $280, next was $224 and the last told me that all it needed was an oil change and to check different things, i.e. chain tension, fluids, bolt torque, etc. and was charging $65.... now, I just want to know what your guys experience is with the 1st service and what was actually done. Thanks.
The difference in price you are seeing is most probably the throttle body sync.  The sync alone was about $120.00 from my dealer.  If your mechanic charging $65.00 doesn't even know about or mention the sync, I'd probably get the first service done at the dealer.  You can change oil yourself and if you have a torque wrench can torque bolts yourself.  My chain also needed adjusted back to speck tension.  You can save yourself money doing some of these things yourself ONLY if you have the proper tools and knowledge.  As for the throttle body sync, I'd just leave that to the dealer (my preference)

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

My dealer gave me a handout with typical services the bike would need, and if I recall the 1st service at 600 miles ran in the ballpark of $165. I'll look for it when I get home and confirm price as well as any mention of what the service might include (i.e. TB sync).

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Global Moderator

I stopped by a local shop today that specializes in Yamaha service. I was told the first service would be about $100 and I specifically asked if it included throttle body sync and was told yes. I am planning on going there as the guy seemed very knowledgable and friendly. I know I could do most of it myself, but I would rather have a professional do it.

Here is the service breakdown I got from the dealership I bought the bike at.  It seems to be generic to all makes of motorcycles.  There was an ATV list as well, but I'll spare you those details.  

$165 + parts (600 miles)
[ul type=disc][*]Replace oil & filter[*]Inspect valves. Adjust if necessary.  [*]Inspect/replace spark plugs[*]Inspect/adjust lube chain.  Replace shaft oil.[*]Inspect engine idle. Adjust if necessary.[*]Inspect brake system. Adjust if necessary.[*]Inspect clutch operation. Adjust if necessary.[*]Inspect nuts, bolts and fasteners.[*]Check tire pressure.[*]Inspect steering head bearings. Adjust if necessary.[/ul][div]

[/div]

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I do my own maintenance and have several bikes so I have a sheet of paper posted in my garage that lists each bike under which I include tire pressures, oil bolt size and torques for oil bolt and rear axle nut for when I adjust the chain, amount of oil needed, etc. I also document date and mileage of last service, type of oil used. I don't keep receipts and have never had any major problem with a motorcycle where documentation would even come up. I also have a block of wood with the chain min and max marked on it so I can just grab that to check chain tension rather than have to re-measure with a tape measure each time.

I suppose you could run into a problem with warranty if for example the oil bolt fell out or the filter came unscrewed due to negligence and the oil drained out and the engine seized. If that did happen, I would find another bolt quick and put some more oil in it, before I had it towed to the dealer. My devious mind might even lead me to put some used oil in there so the oil looked older.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I stopped by a local shop today that specializes in Yamaha service. I was told the first service would be about $100 and I specifically asked if it included throttle body sync and was told yes. I am planning on going there as the guy seemed very knowledgable and friendly. I know I could do most of it myself, but I would rather have a professional do it.
Nice find!  Big difference between a local shop and dealer pricing.  I have nothing around here that prices that well.

I got adjustments and oil change for $230 .. they did not document throttle body sync and I'm sure they would have if they did it. Frankly a rip-off for the amount of work done. They charge $95 (us) per hour labor.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
I got adjustments and oil change for $230 .. they did not document throttle body sync and I'm sure they would have if they did it. Frankly a rip-off for the amount of work done. They charge $95 (us) per hour labor.
Where the heck is the dislike button when you need one  ???

It's not that hard to figure out how much that first 600 mile service should cost.   Add up one oil filter, 2 3/4 qts of bulk Yamalube or your preferred oil and 3/4 to 1 hour of shop labor.  I'd est. that would be close to $100, plus or minus a bit.   Anybody charging more is either in a Beverly Hills shop or doesn't want your business. 8-)

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

I stopped by the dealer the other day to pick up the items they forgot to give me and asked about first service. The techs couldnt locate the FZ07 in the system to they used the FZ6r for a base.
Service Includes:
Pre ride checks
Replace engine oil and filter
clean, lube, adjust chain
inspect fuel lines
inspect exhaust
inspect clutch
inspect f/r brake
inspect steering bearings
inspect side stand switch
Oil charge - $27.80
Assy oil cl - $12.28
Gasket - .99
1.8hrs of labor - $178.20
Shop supplies - $10
Grand Total $229.27

They did not mention TB sync, when I ask about it specifically, they asked the manager who said its covered in the pre service ride. If they detect an issue they will fix it. I asked well would that affect price, answer was "uh, no." So is the TB sync really necessary? Can you detect an issue? I'm so not paying over $200 for this crap.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

The tech at my shop said "the engine would be running noticeably bad or awkward to require a TB sync", so I skipped it. I only paid about $125.00 for first service not including (of corse) the TB sync.

Bringing my bike in for first service soon. I asked the service dept. what is done on the first service, here was their response:

Change oil and filter.
Clean, Lube and Adjust chain.
Inspect sprockets or drive line.
Clean/Replace air filter.
Inspect/Replace Spark Plugs,
Inspect Fork seals,
Coolant level,
Tire Pressure,
Tire Wear,
Front and Rear Brake Pads and Rotors,
Brake and Clutch fluids,
all Electrical /switches.
Check & adjust Throttle, Brake, & Clutch actions.
Lube control Cables.
Go over complete unit and check/tighten all mounting bolts.
Inspect lights & switches.
Inspect steering head bearings.
Check and adjust tire pressures to factory specs.

I then asked about the TB Sync, here was the response:
"Unless the unit is experiencing running issues, you would not need to sync this unit. But if it does need to be synced it would cost extra. Our normal service on your unit runs around the $195-200.00 range. Syncing the unit would run an additional $127.50. In the 2 years I have been here we have not had to sync any fuel injected bikes, unlike the carbureted bikes."

Thoughts?

• Premium Member

Damn, anyone paying over $50 for the first service that ISN'T getting a throttle body sync might as well just do it your self, what a damn rip off. 1.8 hours to check everything, lube the chain and do an oil change, all that takes about 30 mins tops.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

• 6 months later...

I just checked around my area (Tampa / St. Pete) and Barney's stated they do:

Oil Change w/ Filter+gasket
TB Sync
Inspect Idle
Inspect, Lube, Tighten Chain
Inspect, Lube front lines
Inspect Brakes, Indicators
Adjust Clutch
Inspect Bearings
Inspect and adjust tire pressure

180 OTD, is that reasonable?

• Global Moderator

Since they are doing the throttle body sync I think that is a bit high but not unreasonable. I would pay it.

Archived