The MT-07 Forum

Is this the new Dealer Trick?

sd2tj

9 hours ago, mjh937 said:

OTD is the only number that matters.  As @DewMan says they will just add fees to make up the difference. 

This. I don't care what the numbers are on each line of the Bill of Sale as long as the OTD is what I'm comfortable paying.

I laughed out loud when they mentioned adding setup fees on my 2016 I bought in late 2017. Some shop hand that get's paid 8hrs /day regardless of the job set up my bike well over a year ago. No way I was paying through the nose for that. That money had already washed out a long time ago. 

But yes, these place do have to make money if we want them to stick around. And we definitely want them to stick around. It is what it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
14 minutes ago, illenium said:

2017 fz07 otd price is 6800 here in rancho cucamonga

Are you sure that is an OTD price?  If it is that is a great deal, but I suspect there will be fees and taxes added. 

5 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Are you sure that is an OTD price?  If it is that is a great deal, but I suspect there will be fees and taxes added. 

no thats otd the price taxes and license and fees included

My 

On 8/22/2018 at 3:28 PM, illenium said:

2017 fz07 otd price is 6800 here in rancho cucamonga

Nice price! My 2016 FZ07 (bought in May 2016) was 6947 OTD, includes tax, tag, etc.

The place I went to only have a doc fee of like $150, no other fees or setup. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have read all the posts in this thread and can not believe the negative attitudes towards dealers. I work at a dealership and there's this thing call "overhead"; property tax, light, heat, payroll, cost of inventory etc. If you think a 3% margin will cover that you are not living in the real world. We maintain a shop and stock parts, also we pay "floor planning" which is an interest charge on any bike we have in inventory for over 60 days. In the near future you will be buying your bikes on the internet and hopefully the UPS guy or the Mailman can maintain it for you. (and also do warranty work).     Just some reality

• 1 month later...
  • Global Moderator

@longrider1951, my dealership (Skagit Powersports in Burlington, WA) has been great.  I was happy with the price I paid and the bike was delivered with no problems.  I buy most of my parts there (I enjoy working on my bike so they have only had it back to do a recall) and they have been great answering my stupid questions when I am not sure of something.  Unfortunately some of the things that people on the forum have had wrong with their bikes on delivery has been mind-blowing.  While there are a lot of good dealerships there seem to be too many that just do not care, which tends to make people cast them all in a bad light.  I suppose it is like the few bad motorcyclists that make many in the general public think we are all like that. 

longrider1951

Finally someone with a grasp of what a good shop is like. The shop I work at has been in business for 35 years with the same ownership. (yes we're a bunch of old men, but with experience).  We have many loyal customers like you and go out of our way to give them the best fair deal on their purchases.  They seem to appreciate our efforts and truly these customers make it all worthwhile.

a bit of click bait out in thousand oaks with bikes listed online for $5,500 but when you show up it's actually $5900 plus $1400 in dealer setup fees which most shops list as closer to $500-600.  It's smart marketing to get people in the door but dirty enough to make me rather spend my money somewhere more upfront about their pricing.  

• 3 weeks later...
longrider1951

That type of bait and switch turns everybody off. You may make a few bucks in the short haul but people get wise very quickly and the internet spreads it like wildfire.  Not a viable long term business plan.

Archived