The MT-07 Forum

First thing you will mod on your FZ-07

Guest brickst3r

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator
Good finds guru...I hadn't seen that specific tidy, looks good. Much longer than others I've seen but I like it.
This tidy comes in pieces so you can leave out the middle piece and mount the licence plate high That's what I'm going to do if I get one.

TwistedTorque
My FZ-09 was basically a one piece, and I cut it in half to install the M-4 slip on. Cut that ugly cat box out.
You mean like this  :D

That is exactly what I did and I actually watched the video on my ipad step by step in the garage. I'm really happy with the M-4, and I can feel even more power in the seat of my pants.

The M-4 was the most cost effective option for me. I wanted the Akrapovic, but $1,200 is alot of money and I am saving up to replace my rear shock to a Penske triple clicker and have put heavier springs and 10 wt oil in my front forks. I did the Suspension first and guys, unless you weigh 170 lbs, I suggest that you dial your suspensions in first.

Change the front springs to match your weight. Add heavier fork oil. Then, have a buddy help you set the sag on your bike, dial it in.

Suspension is the most important mod. It will save your arse in the corners and suspension will make you faster than any other mod available to man. Ya can't go racing thru the twisties on a pogo stick.

Remember, to get the FZ-09 and the FZ-07 to market at such a low price, Yamaha skimped on the suspensions quite a bit. Save some cash, maybe even add new cartridges to the front forks and remember to have someone set your sag. You will feel the difference because it is like night and day. In fact, I think I'll copy this and paste it into a new post. It's that important!

• Global Moderator

I just did my first few mini mods.  8-)

I installed my Garmin Zumo so I don't get lost in the Great White North.
And attached my Satechi remote to my mirror. I have headphones in my helmet and now I can operate my music on my iPhone while in my pocket. Works great !

IMG_0896.jpg

• Global Moderator

And I deleted those silly warning labels and added my personal signature decal so I can call it mine.

IMG_0894.jpg

Guest ybcheese

Guru nice mods man, what kind of mounting brackets did you use? I am surprised you didn't Mount your iphone instead of the nav system.

• Global Moderator

For the Garmin I used the RAM bracket that came with the nav, I bought the set a couple of years ago and switch it between winter/summer; snowmobile/bike.
It works and the quality is okay (waterproof, useable with gloves etc.) but it is beginning to show it's age and I prefer TomTom when it comes to stand alone sat navs.
When it ceases to exist I will probably not replace it but switch to an iPhone setup. Phone software and hardware is light years ahead compared to this thing, but I already had it.
I have TT navigation on my iPhone (I am hopeless when it comes to directions) and it blows Garmin out of the water.

For the remote I made a home made bracket mounted on the nut of the mirror and use velcro to stick it on there. I drilled a hole right through the remote (tricky) and have a small chain in case the velcro doesn't do it's job in full flight.

• Global Moderator

I see some photos online with smoked turn signal lenses and orange bulbs. I think I might try to find a set of those. I expect it would be cheaper and easier than LED lights and I like the look. The orange lenses are way too orange.

• Global Moderator

You're right, they look like big orange Mickey Mouse ears if you ask me. First on the list in the tail tidy though. The more I look at the rear the more I think it is just too low and busy. I will see how it looks with the orange lenses. If it still looks goofy, I will switch to smaller LED ones. If you find a link of those you mention, please post it. I'd like to see them.

• Global Moderator
That spring comes red? Mine is silver on a red bike. U.S.A
Yeah, pretty cool huh? 
So the white one has a red spring and a silver frame, both US and Canada
The grey one has a silver spring and a blue frame for the US and a silver spring/black frame combo for Canada
And the red bike has a silver spring and a black frame for both countries.

(if I'm not mistaken)

TwistedTorque
Has anyone found a tail tidy kit to replace the rear turn signals ? Maybe a circuitboard to make the turn signals into the brake light like 12 oclock labs has for the edge tail light on a drz400sm
http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Yamaha/MT-07/2014_onwards/LP0159BK.aspx

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Yamaha/MT-07/2014_onwards/RG370.aspx

Maybe?

They don't have their US site setup for FZ-07 so I take it you would still have to ship from UK but you could call and ask.

• Global Moderator

Just ordered a Yamaha Tail tidy. You can delete the middle part so it mounts flush to the rear. I am going to see how it looks with the OEM orange blinkers. Anything is better the USS Starship Enterprise that on there now.

1WS-F16E0-00-00.jpg

• Global Moderator

guru, how difficult was it to get the warning labels off? That is the first thing I will do. How many are there? I know of the one in the tank, but was unaware of any others.

• Global Moderator

Actually, Canadian models have two warning labels on the tank. One in English and one in French. They are pretty easy to get off. I used a hair dryer to warm them up and the plastic top layer came right off. The I used my fingers and thumb to push and rub the rest off. Finally cleaned it up with some thinner, but anything will do like goo gone. Just don't use too much of whatever you use because you don't want to damage the paint. I ended up with a couple of blisters on my fingers from rubbing, but that just stupid me.
There are more labels (on the swing arm I think) but they I quite hidden so I left those.

I would love to mod this bike into a cafe racer. I think it would look badass with clip ons. Sadly I don't think there is enough clearance for clip ons.

First mod was removing the passenger grab strap that's on the pillions seat. Lol. Thinking about a new set of levers and saving money for a pipe. I ordered the rear rack and the fly screen too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRokay Raggie

Was thinking about this more last night and the following need to be done: fender eliminator, smaller front and rear LED turn signals to replace the stock hot dogs, shorty levers, bar end mirrors, new grips, frame sliders, and lower bars.

If needed future mods may include: radiator guard, engine guard, fork slider, swing arm slider, grippier rear set pegs, gold valve emulators, zx10 or gsxr shock upgrade, Akrapovic or LV exhaust, front and rear stainless steel brake lines and ebc sintered pads. Also not sure if there is dot 3 brake fluid on the bike that will be changed out for dot 4.

• Global Moderator

My Yamaha tail tidy will be ready to ship on Wednesday  8-)
So It will be here at the end of this week. Can't wait because I'm getting tired being followed by the Starship Enterprise. 
I will do a bit of a write-up once I have it, promise.

• Global Moderator

Yes. I gave my local dealer this number: 1WS-F16E0-00-00 and they ordered it for me.

• Global Moderator

Yeah I saw that one too. It looks nice and I am sure the quality is great but I read somewhere the end result is not so tidy. There are some exposed bits underneath the seat area once installed.
I do prefer original Yamaha stuff. The fit and finish will be great I'm sure and the price difference is not that big.

Archived