The MT-07 Forum

New X-Ring Chain

rhino

Debating replacing the OEM chain with a new X-Ring chain.  Perhaps the DID 520 ER V3 or the EK MVXZ 520.

Ride the bike about half the year as a daily commuter, and track it about once a month.

Any experience on the either chain?  Both reliable, with minimal stretching ?

Do we need the 120 links?

Debating replacing the OEM chain with a new X-Ring chain.  Perhaps the DID 520 ER V3 or the EK MVXZ 520. 
Ride the bike about half the year as a daily commuter, and track it about once a month.

Any experience on the either chain?  Both reliable, with minimal stretching ?

Do we need the 120 links?

@rhino, 
I've personally have the DID 5420 ERV3 on my FZ-07, and have about 2 years of abuse on it (street AND track).  It's a very good chain, and I probably won't use anything else.  Plus, it's what Rossi uses on his MotoGP bike :)

Having said that, the EK MVXZ 520 is a great value for the money, and comes in color options, if that matters to you.  We sell both.  If and when you're ready, PM me for the best price on either one :)

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

Curious what difference you noticed with the replacement DID chain? What did you like about the replacement?

Edit - Also, should I consider changing my sprocket(s) from OEM at the same time?  Bike only has about 9k miles, so do not suspect the sprockets are worn and dont think I am interested in adding/removing teeth.

• Premium Member
Curious what difference you noticed with the replacement DID chain? What did you like about the replacement? 
Edit - Also, should I consider changing my sprocket(s) from OEM at the same time?  Bike only has about 9k miles, so do not suspect the sprockets are worn and dont think I am interested in adding/removing teeth.
Chains just wear out after a while a X ring should last longer is all ( I waited till close to 20,000 miles way too long lol ). No need to replace the sprocket unless they have above normal wear. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Chains just wear out after a while a X ring should last longer is all ( I waited till close to 20,000 miles way too long lol ). No need to replace the sprocket unless they have above normal wear.

Or if you change to a 520 chain, which is smaller, lighter, more efficient (because of less rotational mass), and in the case of the DID ERV3 520, STRONGER than your stock chain.

Not to mention a sprocket change can save weight, and get you either some more acceleration or higher top speed depending on which way you go...

:)

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

• 3 weeks later...

Check out gearingcommander.com to calculate the effect of changing sprocket ratios. Very useful tool whether you want to gear for the track or commuting.

On average about how many miles are people getting out of the stock chain before switching it out? Cant wait to get rid of it just hate throwing away a "good" chain. This bike has the loudest chain compared to every bike I've owned in the past including a 60's triumph!

• Premium Member

I got somewhere in the neighborhood of ~20,000 on the stock chain and sprockets.

Everything went braap.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived