The MT-07 Forum

Clutch Cable Tension

philthyphil

When I did the first service on my FZ 07 at 600 miles I adjusted the slack in the clutch cable per the instructions in the manual. I tightened the cable at the adjustment on the lever. I made it tight to the point that it seemed to have just a very small amount of play in the lever. After that while riding it seemed like my shifts were a little bit smoother, but it also seemed like the clutch wasn't grabbing the same as it was before I adjusted it. Back in the garage I started tinkering with it some again and I noticed that when tightening the adjustment I could see the little clutch thing on the engine itself, where the cable connects, moving towards disengaged when tightening the adjustment, analogous to pulling the clutch in with your hand, and I could see it moving towards engage when loosening the adjustment, analogous to letting the clutch out with your hand. 

So I started worrying that I had the clutch adjusted too tight, and as a consequence it may be possible that the clutch wasn't fully engaging when let out all the way. So I backed the adjustment off quite a bit, to where I now have more play in the clutch lever. Not a ridiculous amount, but more. I notice that the shifts are more punchy now and I feel very certain that the clutch is fully engaged. I don't want the clutch cable adjusted in such a way that the clutch spends all its time in a not fully engaged state. I imagine this wouldn't be very good for the longevity of clutch plates. 

Is there a method that I can use so that I can be confident that I have the correct tension on the clutch cable? Since I'm not sure now I figure its better to have it a little on the loose side rather than have it not fully engaging. I hope this makes sense. 

I'm having the same problem. I have adjusted back and forth,but still not right. I'm sure it's a simple fix but just haven't figured it out yet.

• Premium Member

I have only seen the adjustment made as per the movement at the end of the stock lever. This seemed lame to me, since cable travel could be measured at the engine. So, before I changed to aftermarket levers on my otherwise still low-mileage bike I marked on the cable at the engine fully engaged and fully released (meaning lever pulled in). Then, I made an aluminum gauge to fit into the gap at the cable when fully released so that I could be sure I got everything the same after the new levers were installed.

Btw, it is easy enough to check where the clutch is fully engaged (and not slipping--right, you don't want to be doing that for long) by adjusting at the lever to give a little free-play. Then, mark the cable where it goes into the cover when carefully drawing up that play by squeezing the lever slowly and easily, while watching that the actual lever that activates the shaft going into the engine does not move at all.

You have to have some slack on that cable when the lever is full out - the clutch will slip if you don't and wear out prematurely.

As for how much slack - the book calls for some measurement at the lever. Don't get super fussy with this - but there must be enough slack (with the bars turned full lock both sides) so that the clutch pack can close completely.

If you dial in too much slack (thinking you'll just bring the lever closer to the bar) eventually, the clutch pack can't open far enough and shift quality will suffer.

When I installed my shorty levers and set them to wear my clutch engagement was much closer to the grip I noticed the clutch was slipping so I made a cable adjustment at the engine (adjusted it all the way back, towards the rear of the back) and then it stopped slipping. My clutch now engages about a millimeter or two after I start releasing it from being pulled in all the way. That may be too much for some but I love it. I don't have to guess as to when it will engage and it gives relief to my hand when having to clutch a lot in traffic. ;)

Beemer

I ended up just adjusting mine more or less how the manual says to do it. I let the cable have enough slack so that the clutch lever, when measured from the very end, has about .25 inches of play. The manual says between .20 - .39, so I hope I'm all good with that adjustment. It seems to be engaging all the way and not slipping. I hope I didn't eat to much clutch up for those 2 or 3 hours of riding where it may have been adjusted a little too tight. 

Thank you all for the good tips!

Archived