The MT-07 Forum

New Akrapovic Hydroformed exhaust

crsnhppr

So! I'll be there first to start this up. akra has a new hydroformed exhaust with apparently super gains possible. I have not this exhaust so I'm leaving it up to someone with a grand to buy one and post a video and review of it here or if you have exp with this hollar

Source?
Images??
I like sooooo much the hydroform techniques.
Waiting to other news... let us know!

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

• Premium Member

Great find...although I still like the shape of the original Ti version much better.

and no @2wheeler, it looks nothing like the SC Project (at least to me anyway).

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
Link? I did see a new exhaust on their website but it doesn't say anything about hydroformed. Looks like it just is for meeting EC/ECE regulations 
Here

That could be hydroformed as it is an odd shape and I see no welds on the muffler. Just a different way to manufacture, doubt there are real performance gains. But who knows...

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Link? I did see a new exhaust on their website but it doesn't say anything about hydroformed. Looks like it just is for meeting EC/ECE regulations 
Here
The exhaust you've linked is the new release, produced in order to meet the new Euro-4 regulations. For the aesthetics, I prefer the old one. ;)

www.MT-Series.it

Guest 2wheeler
Great find...although I still like the shape of the original Ti version much better. 
and no @2wheeler , it looks nothing like the SC Project (at least to me anyway).

- Paulie
You take away that mounting bracket on the top of the can, and it looks a lot like the SC Project IMHO 
Much more so than any other FZ pipe I've seen. Sorta makes sense as the SC is regarded as one of the lightest pipes, and Akrapovic is trying to promote the lighter weight of this new pipe. If you are a weight junkie, but want the Akra name AND you like the generic look of the SC.....

• Premium Member
and no @2wheeler , it looks nothing like the SC Project (at least to me anyway).

- Paulie
You take away that mounting bracket on the top of the can, and it looks a lot like the SC Project IMHO 
Much more so than any other FZ pipe I've seen. Sorta makes sense as the SC is regarded as one of the lightest pipes, and Akrapovic is trying to promote the lighter weight of this new pipe. If you are a weight junkie, but want the Akra name AND you like the generic look of the SC.....

I think I see what you mean now, but I still don't agree, lol.  The SC Project is way more cylindrical... 

- Paulie 

- Paulie

Lighter weight? This new one is only 1.9kg lighter than stock compared to the carbon which is 3.0kg lighter than stock. This thing is heavy because it has a cat in it to meet euro 4 standards 

AlbatrossCafe
akra has a new hydroformed exhaust with apparently super gains possible
Super gains AKA +3hp AKA pretty much what their other exhaust have been doing?  
I am a little upset because you got me hopes up for a new exhaust when it turns out it is actually heavier than my current Akra Carbon and has a catalytic converter in it.

I say super gains because Akra websites shows a solid and equal gain of torque and horsepower. With normal exhauts there is a balance of length and diameter to yield desireable gains but there are inherent trade offs with typical construction because your balancing length and diameter and when you increase one it's tricky to create a similar gain in the corresponding RPM for both tq/hp figures

Hydroforming an exhaust based shape and length is the most efficient extraction of exhaust gases because your using the physics of how the exhaust gases flow easiest which in turn can create a broad and balanced spread of power across the board without having to sacrifice one or the other tq/hp figures in any given range of rpm. So super gains in my book represent something more than just say pure outta the box performance figures, the best exhaust for any engine would be the most lightweight and efficient therefore you can increase intake volume quite a bit and rather than having a peak in HP , your air volume increase Could correspond to even more drastic increases of tq/hp numbers across the entire RPm range

• Premium Member
I say super gains because Akra websites shows a solid and equal gain of torque and horsepower. With normal exhauts there is a balance of length and diameter to yield desireable gains but there are inherent trade offs with typical construction because your balancing length and diameter and when you increase one it's tricky to create a similar gain in the corresponding RPM for both tq/hp figures 
Hydroforming an exhaust based shape and length is the most efficient extraction of exhaust gases because your using the physics of how the exhaust gases flow easiest which in turn can create a broad and balanced spread of power across the board without having to sacrifice one or the other tq/hp figures in any given range of rpm. So super gains in my book represent something more than just say pure outta the box performance figures, the best exhaust for any engine would be the most lightweight and efficient therefore you can increase intake volume quite a bit and rather than having a peak in HP , your air volume increase Could correspond to even more drastic increases of tq/hp numbers across the entire RPm range
Can you confirm which of their exhaust is hydroformed?  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

i wanna say the headers of both the normal carbon and ti were hydroformed , the TI's can was kinda designed using more modern gas flow characteristics hence its shape however it was still the normal construction , this new exhaus features hydroformed header and "can"

Well... in the Akra web pages of the new Euro4 exhaust there's no one word about hydroform...

www.MT-Series.it

• Premium Member
i wanna say the headers of both the normal carbon and ti were hydroformed , the TI's can was kinda designed using more modern gas flow characteristics hence its shape however it was still the normal construction , this new exhaus features hydroformed header and "can"
What does the header slowly increase in diameter?  Otherwise, why would it be hydroformed? 
I could see them doing the can to make the process cheaper in the long run and maybe obtain a lighter thinner part.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Some give aways about the next Line's hydroforming is the shape of that D bend in the header, additionally no traditional exhaust can manufacturing techniques are capable of creating a shape that both minimizes weight AND optimized gas flow across a range of engine load and rpm.

• 2 weeks later...

Akrapovic Exhaust:
Either way, the exhaust makers have most motorcycle owners bent over a large 42-gallon oil drum...
 I didn't see any super-plus spec improvements on *any of the Akro exhausts made for a Yamaha FZ-07 (MT-07).All the gains appear to be more minicule rather than improvements to actual performance gains. 
For example, three ounces of weight savings on something that weighs over seventy ounces total only makesfor one big shoulder shrug; that is a big 'who cares'... Being Metric/UK measurement challenged, I have to look at the charts, and they indicate only increases in single unit measurements. The sound improvement is nice; I like it and if I had an extra 750/1000 dollars laying around I'd put one on my FZ-07for it to sound good at idle and up to about 5000 rpm...We all know the stock exhaust on these motos sounds - well, 'whiny'...
(I did notice the manufacturer (in its sound files), only ran the engines up to mid-range at best (in rpms).(Akrapovic use to have a sound file for a stock FZ-07 engine exhaust vs a FZ-07 with an Akrapovic exhaust system.When the rpms got into the higher ranges, quess what; the Akrapovic system and the FZ-07 stock system sounded very much the same !)
* No offense is intended to FZ-07 after-market exhaust system owners.... When some of the after market systems are installed on motorcyles with radically modified race engines, I sure they sound great and I'd hope had performance improvements that made the install meaningful to the owner and or rider. 
ride safe/ride fast   

That's no more hydroformed than the previous akra Ti...

Looks decent enough, but I prefer the initial version (Euro 3 compliant).

Saw it live at a bike show yesterday, looks a bit clumsier than the original ti version and with some carbon looking parts near the end. Even more expensive as well over here in EU at least.

Archived