The MT-07 Forum

Speedo. wires routed wrong at dealership.

peteinpa

Thanks to YZEtc, I found my speedo wires running wrong across my key hole. Been looking at a lot of Youtube FZ-07 videos (jonesing for Spring it was 8F here this morning) and about 80 percent are wrong. This includes bikes for MFG release shows. 

The cable is supposed to come out at the left side with the clutch cable then go around the left side handlebar mount. Not through the middle between the left and right mount covering the area where your key goes.

To fix, remove the 2 speedo cluster mount bolts, pull back the rubber cover, and squeeze the latch release so the wire connector releases. Route wire correctly than click connector back in place and install rubber cover correctly, then bolt back on.

I always wondered why all the slack in that wire bundle. Now I know.

I also re-checked my front wheel mounting and re-tourqed everything. Found no problems there at least.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• 2 weeks later...
A sample of why I never let dealers touch my bikes and also why I never buy extended warranties.
It's really sad how common this is. I only have one shop(Not a dealer) I will take my bikes to that I trust(handed him a set of wheels and tires and he knew it was for a Buel just looking at the wheel), but even then its just for tires/valve work, everything else I do myself(maybe learn to do valves too someday) 
Hell, I have had a highly recommended dealer blow me off when I was in the market for an FZ07/09 or XSR900 and I let them know I was going to buy after I got some seat time on all three..Called them to tell them I wanted an FZ07 and was told to call back in a few days...10 mins later I found a new in crate FZ07  that was for sale. 

Interesting. Do you have a picture of the right and wrong way? I think mine might be wrong as well.

If the wire goes through the uprights its wrong. Must go around the left post.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Glad you found it and corrected it.
My bike was the same when I took delivery of it.

I want March to get here, too.
Winter maintenance helps to pass the time until then.

• Premium Member

Can someone post a pic of the proper way please?

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator

It is too dark for me to take a photo tonight, but if no one has done it by tomorrow I will take one.

• Premium Member

Strange. Mine goes through the uprights, but doesn't block the ignition at all. I think I'll leave it alone.

- Andy

• Global Moderator

Here is a photo of the correct routing.  It is hard to get a good photo as the windscreen blocks the view from the front.  The cables your can see are the clutch cable, the wiring for the left handlebar and below that you can see the speedo wire bundle.  I hope this helps. 
2d0fb88536dd05b4ddec2336290717b4_zpsvb30izsw.jpg

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Mine was annoying and I was able to unplug it and re route it without even unbolting anything. Looks much cleaner now.

Mine must be wrong. It's not really in the way but it is annoying and doesnt seem right. 

Ignition Routing

@z33guru: I can't see any image... please, can you check the link?
Thank you!

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

Archived