The MT-07 Forum

2nd Oil Change When?

philthyphil

I did my first oil change at 600 miles, like the manual calls for. I know some people do one sooner, at like 40 miles or something, but I haven't been doing a hard break in. The manual now says to do the next oil change at 4000 miles, and then every 4000 miles thereafter. I have heard allot of people recommending to change motorcycle oil more often than that. What is your guys and gals opinion on that? Should I wait until 4000 miles to do the 2nd change, or should I do it sooner? And should I do oil changes every 4000 miles after the 2nd oil change, or should I do them on a smaller interval?

• Premium Member

When it comes to oil changes im anal about it. I changed mine at 100 miles, 400, 700 and 2k. After that ive done 2800 with motul full synthetic. Its not about how hard you bresk it in, but just to get any metal shaving in there. I wouldnt want to have any small particles floating around for the first 600 miles. Also its a good habit to pick up a magnetic drain plug! Again just my preferance im on my 8th oil change at 12k

I typically ride less than 2000k miles a year due to weather, so I just change the oil at the beginning of each season. You certainly won't hurt anything by changing it more often.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I would say at least once a year. Otherwise the 4000 mile interval is fine.

I typically ride less than 2000k miles a year due to weather, so I just change the oil at the beginning of each season. You certainly won't hurt anything by changing it more often.
Oil contains anti-corrosive additives that break down as you use your motorcycle. You should change your oil at the end of the season so that your bike sits with new oil over winter.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Spare yourself the head-ache of the big oil change question and just follow the manual when using their also recommended, Yamalube. They made the bike and tested it, others didn't. Your bike should be fine. If you switch to a synthetic that lasts longer you can change your oil according to that manufacturers advice or just keep changing it every 4k if it gives you peace of mind. Changing the oil sooner isn't going to hurt a thing.

Beemer

I would say at least once a year. Otherwise the 4000 mile interval is fine. 

Oil contains anti-corrosive additives that break down as you use your motorcycle. You should change your oil at the end of the season so that your bike sits with new oil over winter.
I appreciate the heads up, though I've heard this one before.

Any conclusive studies on the amount of time it takes for inert oil to become excessively corrosive? My down time is roughly 2-3 months tops as I can usually eek a ride out on random warmish days during the winter. I'm curious as to how long one can expect to leave the bike sit before "used" oil becomes detrimental to the engine components.

Sorry for the thread jack.

2016 Raven (White) ~ Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust / 2WDW ECU Flash / CRG LS Mirrors / Seat Concepts Seat / Givi Windscreen / OES Sliders / R6 Throttle Tube / Ohlins YA419 & NIX22

AlbatrossCafe

I did a hard break in. I did 60 miles, 200 miles, and 2000 miles.
After that, I generally go about ~3500. Up to 4k is fine. I also change the filter every time. You can switch between SAE or synthetic at any time but I wouldn't mix the two together.

I commute year round on my FZ. I've put on 15.5k since last October so I change it every few months.

If I were you, I would change it at 2k, and do every 4k thereafter. No need to over-complicate anything!

Mileage before time, unless the time period is lengthy. So going 600-7000 miles in 6 months without a change is worse than going 600-1000 miles in a year+ without a change.  The only real downside of changing early/often is it will cost you more money and that is all up to you.

One of my bikes sadly only saw 1000 miles in the year (the bad thing about owning multiple bikes) and I changed out the oil within one year from the last time I changed it, in the fall.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I did a hard break in. I did 60 miles, 200 miles, and 2000 miles. After that, I generally go about ~3500. Up to 4k is fine. I also change the filter every time. You can switch between SAE or synthetic at any time but I wouldn't mix the two together.

I commute year round on my FZ. I've put on 15.5k since last October so I change it every few months.

If I were you, I would change it at 2k, and do every 4k thereafter. No need to over-complicate anything!
I commute with my FZ 07 everyday too, so mine also sees allot of miles. I think I'll change the oil again around 2000 miles, and then go every 3000 to 4000 from there on out. Thanks for the pointers!

Motorcycle engines with shared sump, clutch and transmission are much harder on oil then a car engines oil that doesn't see a clutch or tranny. I've read more than one well researched report that concluded that at 1500 miles a motorcycle oil will have lost a significant amount of it's viscosity due to shearing of the oils molecules going thru the transmission gears, and up to 50% loss by 3000 miles. If that isn't enough, the clutch wear introduces abrasive components into your oil...as for the manufacturers recommendations, which would interest you more, a bike model that asked for 1500 mile oil changes or one that pushed it out to 4000 miles? How long do most people keep a bike and if you never changed your oil in 2-3 years do you think you would have an oil related failure...probably not and the manufacturers know this. Would I want to buy your bike second hand...nope.

Are you going to keep this bike for a long time? 1500-2500 mile oil changes, going to sell it for another in a couple of years 4000 miles. I also believe that the first couple of oil changes are some of the most important and I wouldn't take the second one out to 4k miles but change at 1000-1500 miles, same for the third, maybe use a decent m/c dino oil if you're cost conscious then switch later to semi or full synthetic if so desired. All the above is just my opinion of course.

I've got 18k miles, I've absolutely raped my engine, and because of that I've changed my oil every 1 to 1.5k miles , between 0-1000 miles I did 3 or 4 changes , but then again I really have it a flogging. Have been able to do 40-50 mile stretches of highways at 110-120 the whole time and my engine runs like a sewing machine. Not really a brand fanboy but my clutch seems to like Motul 4T full synthetic, I broke the engine in with just spectro dino oil. Clutch likes Castrol too.

I've got 18k miles, I've absolutely raped my engine, and because of that I've changed my oil every 1 to 1.5k miles , between 0-1000 miles I did 3 or 4 changes , but then again I really have it a flogging. Have been able to do 40-50 mile stretches of highways at 110-120 the whole time and my engine runs like a sewing machine. Not really a brand fanboy but my clutch seems to like Motul 4T full synthetic, I broke the engine in with just spectro dino oil. Clutch likes Castrol too.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look at the Motul 4T. 

I wouldnt want to have any small particles floating around for the first 600 miles. Also its a good habit to pick up a magnetic drain plug! Again just my preferance im on my 8th oil change at 12k
That's why oil filters were put in place, they capture all metal shavings. 

AlbatrossCafe
I wouldnt want to have any small particles floating around for the first 600 miles. Also its a good habit to pick up a magnetic drain plug! Again just my preferance im on my 8th oil change at 12k
That's why oil filters were put in place, they capture all metal shavings.
true, but at the same time they don't get everything. I have a magnetic plug and it always has a solid 1/4" of metal buildup on it every oil change. Does it really help that much? Who knows. But it was only $9.... 

Archived