The MT-07 Forum

Electrical Probs/ license plate lights/ tail light

jrubicon

ok guys i need help. what i gained in skill with welding and fabrication creativity i greatly lack in electrical.
i mean im good at shrink tubing and wiring etc but finding these anomalies, voltage current n such im a total blank no interest.

So i made a custom tailtidy, im using these tiny led lights for lic plate, its a bolt with a light cutout,

* The problem is, on the fuse box labeled blinker, the fuse keeps going out. When the fuse  goes out, blinker and hasard still work, but no break light.

When i disconect the plug to the license plate lights, and replace fuse, all works fine (except for license plate lights which are disconected) soon as i connect it, fuse pops.

could the led license plate lights draw too much? i mean all these worked fine, i doubt theres a short in my wiring. i shielded them well. could the housing of the license plate bolt light thing be grounded or non grounded?  the tailtidy is steel and conected to the chassis.
 when i took a video it worked fine, all lights. then i come home are realize fuse was broken n no tail lights working.

also will the relay for led flasher help with this?

btw, horn still doesnt work.

$(KGrHqV,!lcE-lETJkBLBPpp-mDQV!~~60_1.GIF

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBp3oFbwBUs]

www.youtube.com/infinion3

• Global Moderator

Diagnostics is the most difficult part. Once you know what's wrong it is usually an easy fix.

Your license plate light is apparently causing a short. It could be anything. They are cheap after market (Probably Chinese) LED's so It could be that they are just faulty.
You can try and see if they work without mounting them on your metal tail tidy, just hanging free. If they work, then the contact between then led's and the tail tidy creates a short. I highly doubt that the led draws too much. If anything, they draw less then a conventional bulb. If all your wiring is correct and insulated as you say, my guess would be that you have a dud.
Worst case is to pull all your DIY wiring and simply start form scratch.

They relay of your flasher (on the North American bike) is design to work with 4 x 27W bulbs) It even says so on the relais.
If you change that (all led, 2 led's, different conventional bulbs) it will flash faster. I have european flashers and bulbs on mine (4 x 10W) and I had to replace my relais. I choose to get and Euro relais.

As for your horn. It could be that the horn has a combined fuse with other electrical components and your blown fuse stops your horn from beeping. If you fix your license plate light problem, you might have fixed the other too. Or it could work the other way around. You have a short in your horn circuit and that cause you license plate light (fuse) to fail.
Check all fuses first. Use a multi meter to check if the wires at your horn are hot when pushing the horn button (with ignition key on) If not, then move up the chain and check again ect.. It could be you horn switch, but I doubt it.

Thanks Guru,
for now, the lic plate lights seems to be causing short. what is weird is that, the blinker fuse goes out yet blinkers still work.
was that mis labeled by yamaha?

ill either get new license lights or insulate these somehow.

• Global Moderator

Who knows, the bike might have two separate circuits for the blinkers. One for the left indicator switch and one for the right hazard light switch.

OK, so not the best solution but i just took out the led lights i had for the plates. Horn works again!

for now, since i dont really ride at night i will just cruise without lights on the plates.
At the same time the plates are under the tail light , it does illuminate it a lilfull.jpg.

what yall think?

Sounds like the wiring may be at fault here. If I remember correctly, when I was doing my tail tidy I had to be real careful with the wires coming from the factory harness. They were real close together wrapped in the same rubber shield. Maybe as you were separating them it ripped the shield in between the wires leaving them exposed to each other and therefor causing a short. Just a thought. Hope that makes sense lol.

• 1 month later...

I used the same exact tag lights for my tail tidy. First time it blew a fuse, replaced it. The second time it burnt the wires and smoke started pouring out from under the seat. Be VERY careful using cheap stuff that has to do with electricity. I'm waiting on some good leds to come in the mail now. No more night driving for me. :(

Archived