The MT-07 Forum

Tail Bag or Tank Bag

philthyphil

Can anyone recommend a decent bag for the FZ 07? I just want something that I can put some of my stuff in. Maybe big enough to hold a 15 inch laptop and a few more odds and ends. I don't really care for saddle type bags that make the bike wider. I would like to find a nice, roomie tail bag or tank bag. Are any of you guys rocking anything like this on your FZ 07? 

Talk to jake. I like his system. Not sure if the dimensions are big enough for a 15" laptop.

• Like 1

Beemer

I own 2 tank bags (well, I actually have a 3rd that's retired) and a large seat bag. All 3 are Nelson Rigg as I like the quality/price ratio. The larger of the 2 tank bags is just too big for this bike, so i only use the small one for the FZ. It's probably not big enough for a 15" laptop. Measure the width and length of your laptop, take a tape measures out to the bike and lay it horizontally over the tank and picture a box big enough to hold it sitting there. Now turn the bars!

Think a seat bag is probably a better bet. If my large tank bag is big, my seat bag is barely "carry-on" luggage. It sits just fine on the barcalounger that is the pillion on my Futura, but on the FZ it sits half on the pillion and half on the SW Motech rack. But there are tons of choices out there that are not so large.

Be aware, a seat bag will get in your way a bit while getting on and off the bike. Unless yr really tall, you'll not be able to swing your leg over and you'll have to resort to a step thru sorta move.

Somehow, don't seem to have any picts with the tank bag on - frankly the shape of the top of the tank is not exactly tank-bag friendly, but here's the monster seat bag - it can also extends up 2"

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/seat%20bag_zpskjwztrqu.jpg

• Like 1

I have the Ogio tail bag http://ogio.com/moto/street-bike-1/tail-bag and it does the job well. Just fits my 14" laptop and lunchbox when not expanded. If you expand it might be able to wedge a 15 in at an angle. IMG_20160912_160512351.jpg

I ended up ordering this one. It looks pretty roomie, and I like that the have a matching saddle bag that I could order in the future if I ever decide to go on a long trip or something. Thanks for sharing! It looks like it fits well on the FZ 07. I eliminated the fender on my bike and part of me now wishes that I hadn't because the rear wheel kicks water all up on my back now without it if I ride on wet road. I'd imagine that its going to get water all up on my bag now without the fender. It looks great with the fender eliminator kit, but that rear fender really does server a purpose. 
I was able to find this same bag on Amazon from a vendor who's selling it at a discounted price of $66.99. They only have 7 left in stock. Just wanted to share that HERE just in case anyone else is looking for a tail bag.

Hah, I do have a pict with both. That tank bag is good for holding a water bottle, my cell phone and some other stuff. My iPad min would fit - a 13" laptop, hmm.   
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/tanktail%20bag_zpsnnyx3j35.jpg
That looks like a very well put together cargo setup on your bike. I like it! I've been curious, how do we attach a tank bank to the FZ 07? I've seen that most of them have magnets for metal tanks. How does that work with the FZ 07's tank being under plastic fairings? It looks like you have some straps there. What do you use for anchor points for the straps for the tank bag?

• Premium Member
1417209580685d65bf4fba8ea423f953.jpg

The Kriega US 20 will fit your laptop and gear no problem it's waterproof and hook right to your passenger seat no mods.
  • Like 2

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I own 2 tank bags (well, I actually have a 3rd that's retired) and a large seat bag. All 3 are Nelson Rigg as I like the quality/price ratio. The larger of the 2 tank bags is just too big for this bike, so i only use the small one for the FZ. It's probably not big enough for a 15" laptop. Measure the width and length of your laptop, take a tape measures out to the bike and lay it horizontally over the tank and picture a box big enough to hold it sitting there. Now turn the bars!  
Think a seat bag is probably a better bet. If my large tank bag is big, my seat bag is barely "carry-on" luggage. It sits just fine on the barcalounger that is the pillion on my Futura, but on the FZ it sits half on the pillion and half on the SW Motech rack. But there are tons of choices out there that are not so large.

Be aware, a seat bag will get in your way a bit while getting on and off the bike. Unless yr really tall, you'll not be able to swing your leg over and you'll have to resort to a step thru sorta move.

Somehow, don't seem to have any picts with the tank bag on - frankly the shape of the top of the tank is not exactly tank-bag friendly, but here's the monster seat bag - it can also extends up 2"

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/seat%20bag_zpskjwztrqu.jpg

I did consider the issue that you bring up in regard to getting on and off the bike. I'm 6'4" but my build is kinda weird. You would think I have long legs, but I don't. I have a 30 in. inseam. All of my height is in my torso. I hope i'll be able to perfect some kind of step through technique for getting on and off the bike. I ride bicycle as well, and my Trek city bike has a luggage system on it that makes getting on and off the bike a PIA for the same reason. Too much to have to clear for swinging my leg over the bike. The seat is considerably lower on the motorcycle, so I hope it'll be easy to 'step through'.  
Thanks sharing your setup!

• Premium Member

Very highly recommend the Kreiga bag. Love mine so easy on and off. Had laptop in there in full out rainstorm completely dry. Excellent quality worth the price.

• Like 2

Posted by jakeabout an hour ago 

The Kriega US 20 will fit your laptop and gear no problem it's waterproof and hook right to your passenger seat no mods.

+1 For the the Kriega US series of tail bags. I have the US30 which is more of a "weekend" sized tail bag and is easy to take on and off of the bike. They are very high quality. 
  • Like 2

Hah, I do have a pict with both. That tank bag is good for holding a water bottle, my cell phone and some other stuff. My iPad min would fit - a 13" laptop, hmm.   
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/tanktail%20bag_zpsnnyx3j35.jpg
That looks like a very well put together cargo setup on your bike. I like it! I've been curious, how do we attach a tank bank to the FZ 07? I've seen that most of them have magnets for metal tanks. How does that work with the FZ 07's tank being under plastic fairings? It looks like you have some straps there. What do you use for anchor points for the straps for the tank bag?
I've since added the SW Motech bags ( also sold by Yamaha) So i can run away from home if the need arises.  
I'm a whopping 5'5" with a 28" inseam. Stepping thru on this bike is no where near the challenge that the taller and much wider seat on my Futura offers up. You should be fine with this. Just be wary of your boot heel scuffing the seat. 

This bag uses a basic 3 point attachment ( 4 point attachments are always more secure imo., it's the one thing I don't like about this bag) . One strap goes around the steering stem. The single strap in back  - I stitched that strap to a wider strap and then attached it with those 2 screws on the tank that aren't seen with the seat in place

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1211_zps411b92c2.jpg

I've also since added a couple of straps that are held onto the Yamaha emblems with suction cups to help keep the bag from sliding. Magnets are probably better in the long run, but this works OK. The suction cup straps are also Nelson Rigg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1228_zps074d2750.jpg

• Like 1

Guest 2wheeler

Hey Rick, the kickstand on the FZ-07 is way stout enough to one foot it (left foot on left peg), and swing your leg over the bags without tipping the bike. First time I tried it, there was the moment where I wasn't sure if it was going to be one of those poop my pants moments, but it was fine. I've done it many time since. Obviously just make sure you are on level-ish concrete or asphalt. 
Oh yeah, I weigh in the low 200's, so it's not like a light weight guy is getting away with it.

Been there, done that on occasion. At gas stations or along a curb, I'll use the island or curb stone to get on from a step up. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Hey Rick, the kickstand on the FZ-07 is way stout enough to one foot it (left foot on left peg), and swing your leg over the bags without tipping the bike. First time I tried it, there was the moment where I wasn't sure if it was going to be one of those poop my pants moments, but it was fine. I've done it many time since. Obviously just make sure you are on level-ish concrete or asphalt. 
Oh yeah, I weigh in the low 200's, so it's not like a light weight guy is getting away with it.

That's what I used to do to get on my old Honda XL500 and to kick start the darn thing. Even though the bike was leaning to the left a bit I'd stand on the left peg and kick start the bike. I'm still limber enough I can do an outside, high kick and clear my tail bag no problem but you risk injury or looking silly if you mess it up so it's so much easier to just step on the peg and throw that right leg over. 

Beemer

I tried to kickstart one of those beasts once. It was sure worth a laugh or 2. Chug, chug, half a chug - worked up a pretty good sweat, but never did get it running. I can remember the anxiety attack when I got my 1st bike w/o a kick starter - sure haven't missed 'em
  • Like 1

I tried to kickstart one of those beasts once. It was sure worth a laugh or 2. Chug, chug, half a chug - worked up a pretty good sweat, but never did get it running. I can remember the anxiety attack when I got my 1st bike w/o a kick starter - sure haven't missed 'em
Ha! My right leg knows just what you mean but with practice (getting the piston in top dead center before kicking down) and not getting a mule kick to the leg, there's something about using your muscles to make a big single come alive with a roar. It's so different and satisfying than simply pushing down on a button. It's something I think everyone should experience at least once to gain an 'real' appreciation for a start button. ;) I think it's safe to say you would agree. (???)  

Beemer

• 5 years later...

I know this is an OLD thread that I would be reviving ...

Any day now I will be getting my 22 Cyan and wanting to drive to work with it.
Not all of us take things to work but I am the old fashion type, travel with coffee mug (travel mug), Lunch Pale, and sometimes an attaché.

So have been looking at different options. a place to put my coffee mug (holder) is not an option unless I have a Harley LOL.

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

Just now, balkor2 said:

I know this is an OLD thread that I would be reviving ...

Any day now I will be getting my 22 Cyan and wanting to drive to work with it.
Not all of us take things to work but I am the old fashion type, travel with coffee mug (travel mug), Lunch Pale, and sometimes an attaché.

So have been looking at different options. a place to put my coffee mug (holder) is not an option unless I have a Harley LOL.

I dont know anything about bags but this might help with your coffee

https://rammount.com/products/ram-b-132bu

• Like 1

Thank you for the help!!

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]