The MT-07 Forum

What camera is everyone using?

armorfz

Hey guys I'm looking at getting a new camera and need some suggestions. I currently have a hero 3 and looking to upgrade. What's everyone using I'm looking into maybe getting the hero 5 I will be using it on my bike and also on my Polaris RZR. Just wondering if there's anything out there priced equivalent or cheaper that's just as good? 

• Premium Member

I got myself a Sony FDR-X3000 (picture of the camera)
[span]    [/span]
The best and worst qualities (in my opinion):

Best: up to 4K video and Optical Image Stabilization (much better than the GoPro and other cameras that use digital stabilization - this is the main reason I chose this camera)
Here's a picture of how it works: linky

Worst: You have to mount it to the side or top of your helmet and can't put it on a chin mount like you could with a GoPro.

If you're looking at cameras around the $400 range, another good camera is the Garmin Virb Ultra 30.
If you want cheaper, the GoPro Hero Sessions ($200 or $300 version) look pretty good.
If you want cheaper than that, you're on your own on what you buy from Amazon or AliExpress. :P
[span][/span]

• Premium Member

I love my Sena-10c. Great camera, trouble free bluetooth and pairing, can charge while in use etc etc.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I have 3 gopros that I use. I always ride with my Hero Session 4 on a chin mount to my lid. I have it as a pov dash cam just in case anything happens while out riding. I have a Hero+ that I use as a secondary camera for angles when I'm out playing in the mountains or wheelie practicing hah. I also do have an older Hero 2 that I'll use once in a blue moon for a diff angle setup. But it's less resolution quality and heavier. Some of the mountson my bike won't handle that weight well. It's mostly been retired since the other 2 gopros were bought.

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

I have a GoPro Hero 5 Session that I have on my helmet for the time being. Still trying to figure out if I can put it on my helmet's chin. I'm thinking of getting another one of these to put on the bike itself, for when I start going into the mountains in the spring / summer (I live in Switzerland so perfect roads). I opted for the Session instead of the Black, as it's noticeably smaller...

I just ordered the YI 4K action cam it had a lot of good reviews. I get the camera tomorrow and I'm going to test it this weekend.

I can't be happier with my Drift Ghost-S .... it's only 1080p but the quality is great at 60fps. The camera is pretty small and it fits so well on the side of the helmet.

Drift.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard about the hero 5 it's not worth the price difference. A lot of people were disappointed with the rollout. I have the hero 4 silver and I like it a lot, but the 4k is only up to 24fps and the hero 4 black will do 30fps but doesn't have a screen. I like having the screen for on the go and messing with settings, but it's not necessary. The new Garmin looks pretty awesome but is more pricey.

From what I've heard about the hero 5 it's not worth the price difference. A lot of people were disappointed with the rollout. I have the hero 4 silver and I like it a lot, but the 4k is only up to 24fps and the hero 4 black will do 30fps but doesn't have a screen. I like having the screen for on the go and messing with settings, but it's not necessary. The new Garmin looks pretty awesome but is more pricey.

Iv'e heard that about the Hero 5 as well. I'm thinking about getting a Fly 360 camera, as the 360 video aspect is pretty cool for some of the scenic areas that I ride.

Fly 360 HD

Iv'e heard that about the Hero 5 as well. I'm thinking about getting a Fly 360 camera, as the 360 video aspect is pretty cool for some of the scenic areas that I ride.  
Fly 360 HD

360 cameras are awesome, but from a production standpoint not having a 1080 option is disappointing. You can get a kit to make your own and attach gopros to it, but then you have this monstrosity and you had to purchase 6 cameras for it. I'm looking forward to the 1080 options in the future.

Fly 360 HD

360 cameras are awesome, but from a production standpoint not having a 1080 option is disappointing. You can get a kit to make your own and attach gopros to it, but then you have this monstrosity and you had to purchase 6 cameras for it. I'm looking forward to the 1080 options in the future.

Well, they also make a 4k model Fly 360 4K

I had not heard about this! Awesome!

EDIT: From what I'm finding online the reviews for this camera aren't very good. The storage is not expandable, the battery life is short and there is no way to extend it, there are a lot of software issues, and the picture quality is very poor unless the lighting is perfect. I think I'll wait for a higher quality model. I guess you can't expect too much from it when it's near the same price for a GoPro.

I use a Hero 4 Session.  Not being able to carry a bunch of spare batteries is about the only downside from my old Hero 3 which I still use as a secondary camera.  The picture looks a lot better than the Hero 3, but the biggest difference is the sound quality.  I've done a little comparison video and the difference in sound is huge between the 3 locked up in it's waterproof case which muffles the sound and the session that doesn't need one.  There's definitely better cameras out there if you're going for some higher quality videos but for a compact, simple, $200 daily use camera, the Session is great.  When I do get around to upgrading again, it'll probably be the Hero 5 Session.

I can't be happier with my Drift Ghost-S .... it's only 1080p but the quality is great at 60fps. The camera is pretty small and it fits so well on the side of the helmet.  

Drift.jpg

I have the same Ghost camera and love it, but hope one day, one helmet manufacturer will join forces with a camera maker and make an helmet integrated camera. Maybe I wish for too much. 

Does it have options to change the lens to something closer to normal or a smaller fish-eye lens? A 240 fish-eye lens is going to push everything back pretty far or so you would think. Regardless, I think that's a cool camera! 

Beemer

I love my Sena-10c. Great camera, trouble free bluetooth and pairing, can charge while in use etc etc.
That's nice that it multi tasks without causing an accident!  ;) (heh!)  The Sena 20 is even better but not by much. 

Beemer

• Premium Member
That's nice that it multi tasks without causing an accident!  ;) (heh!)  The Sena 20 is even better but not by muc
Its a nice piece of kit. I was intimidated by the reviews and all of its functions but its actually really intuitive. My initial choice was the Sena 20 but after including a camera the 10c made more sense. If I had a mecha-helmet Id end up breaking something. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

That's nice that it multi tasks without causing an accident!  ;) (heh!)  The Sena 20 is even better but not by muc
Its a nice piece of kit. I was intimidated by the reviews and all of its functions but its actually really intuitive. My initial choice was the Sena 20 but after including a camera the 10c made more sense. If I had a mecha-helmet Id end up breaking something.
Shiver me timbers! I just assumed the 20 had video as well. I only read that it had slightly better audio than the 10. You're right, the 10 is the sh*t and thanks for pointing that out. ;) Have a cold beer and a nice day! :D 

Beemer

I just picked up a Polaroid Cube+. Similar to the GoPro Hero Session, but $100 less. It cost me $100 shipped brand new from Amazon.
I didn't need the top of the line, just something that shoots decent footage. I'm thinking of ideas for mounting currently.

I also have a GoPro Hero (The base model) that I'll probably use as a different angle footage

Archived