The MT-07 Forum

How versatile?

medtech

Hey guys, looking at this bike to replace a DRZ400SM and aside from the obvious that the -07 is not a motard, I've read this as close as you can get to a motard without actually being a motard, is that correct at all?

Also, how tractable is the motor at slow speeds like below 20 or so?  There are some pretty cool fire roads near me that are fun to explore at low speeds, my DRZ is great for this but is the FZ something you'd want for this as well?  

I'd plan on spending 80% of the time in the canyons and urban areas but would still like something that works when traction is very limited. 

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I think the bike would suit your needs its upright good hp and good tq will hit 120 ish mph and good mpg . If you want more traction on dirt roads might look into a different tire is all. But the suspension is going to limit you.

Take one for a test ride.....

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

I ride a DRZ 440S and can rail down fire roads and single track and I can say without hesitation my FZ-07 would not even come close nor would I even try. First off, you're going to crack that low slung sump, second the suspension is sub par on the street, the dirt isn't going to make it any better, third the 17" tires and geometry...well, ok you said slow on fire roads, I guess anything will go slow on fire roads but not sure this is the bike I'd choose. The engine sump is very vulnerable with little ground clearance before the suspension is compressed and is a thin casting to boot. Yamaha is testing an adventure/rally bike version of the -07 and from the looks of the prototypes, I'd say this would be what you're looking for, same awesome engine but with dirt bike suspension, wheels and ergos and yes the engine is very tractable down low especially with an ecu flash or PCV to smooth things out, of course, if you open the throttle to quickly on the street it wheelies, on the dirt traction might be an issue.

Is it close to a motard on the street, I'd say so but not with that dirt bikish narrowness and wt., I hate to say this on this forum but I'm waiting to see what the new KTM 800 twin adventure bike looks like, the prototypes are intriguing. I imagine that engine will be in several different platforms but you will have to wait another year and spend lots more $$.

Something that works where traction is limited? I'm sorry but the FZ-07 isn't what pops into my mind but this is just my opinion so...

• Global Moderator
I ride a DRZ 440S and can rail down fire roads and single track and I can say without hesitation my FZ-07 would not even come close nor would I even try. First off, you're going to crack that low slung sump, second the suspension is sub par on the street, the dirt isn't going to make it any better, third the 17" tires and geometry...well, ok you said slow on fire roads, I guess anything will go slow on fire roads but not sure this is the bike I'd choose. The engine sump is very vulnerable with little ground clearance before the suspension is compressed and is a thin casting to boot. Yamaha is testing an adventure/rally bike version of the -07 and from the looks of the prototypes, I'd say this would be what you're looking for, same awesome engine but with dirt bike suspension, wheels and ergos and yes the engine is very tractable down low especially with an ecu flash or PCV to smooth things out, of course, if you open the throttle to quickly on the street it wheelies, on the dirt traction might be an issue. 
Is it close to a motard on the street, I'd say so but not with that dirt bikish narrowness and wt., I hate to say this on this forum but I'm waiting to see what the new KTM 800 twin adventure bike looks like, the prototypes are intriguing. I imagine that engine will be in several different platforms but you will have to wait another year and spend lots more $$.

Something that works where traction is limited? I'm sorry but the FZ-07 isn't what pops into my mind but this is just my opinion so...

Our fearless leader @cruizin is a major worshipper of the orange framed menace ;) you probably need not worry

As far as off road performance... @zombiephone has taken hers offroad and crosscountry. No issues with grip after she changed tires to a set of d/s tires

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Howdy.
I used to own a 2009 DR-Z400SM, myself, and I spent a lot of money on a lot of the mods those bikes get.

The FZ07 does, indeed, feel to me like a Thumper (large-displacement, 4-stroke, single-cylindered motorcycle) on the street.
That's how I described it after my first test ride on one, and most Motards are Thumpers.
The FZ07 has that kind of power delivery (lots of low-end and mid-range torque), and even the engine's vibration (which is not bad or negative) feels like that of a Thumper or V-Twin.

The FZ07 has power that is very easy to use and very tractable (tends to keep traction), provided you know how to ride.

My opinion on your other questions:

The FZ07 is a street bike made for paved roads.
Period.
Can you take the FZ07 down a dirt road?
Sure, but I don't recommend it unless riding a street bike off-road at a slow pace is your idea of a fun motorcycle ride.
The dirt road better be smooth, too, because I believe that while the FZ07 feels small, light, and maneuverable for a 698cc, 2-cylindered street bike, if you get into a situation where you suddenly remember your tires are no longer on clean and dry pavement because you broke traction with either end just when you don't want to, the bike won't feel so light at that moment.

To me, it's similar to taking an automobile down a dirt road:
I know it can be done, but it better be smooth and easy.

As for comparing a DR-Z400SM to the FZ07 for street riding, I pick the FZ07 by a fair margin.
The FZ07 does, indeed, remind me of a Motard/Thumper with a 689cc engine.

I would tend to agree with the consensus so far with one caveat in mind. If the types of roads you want to take it on are more like a supermoto track then I think the fz07 is a great option. It's a bike that possesses a surprising amount of agility, and that helps in those extra-tight curvy roads. I've taken the fz07 on relatively rough paved roads without incident, but I would definitely shy away from dirt. It's just not an adv bike.

medtech, again I hate to plug another brand but if I'm reading you right as far as the size, type and style of ride you're looking for then the 2017 Ducati Desert sled comes to mind, not to be mistaken for the previous years models, this one's all new in the right places and would appear to be a competent fire roader as well as all around bike...I'd love to ride one.

I'm going to say unless you get a skid plate don't go off road. The front tire has a way of kicking up rocks into the front of the engine. You'll risk a cracked oil pan and/or dented header. You should have seen some of the dents/scratches in my skid plate on my previous dualsports.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Our fearless leader @cruizin is a major worshipper of the orange framed menace ;) you probably need not worry

As far as off road performance... @zombiephone has taken hers offroad and crosscountry. No issues with grip after she changed tires to a set of d/s tires

Seconded, I took my FZ-07 on the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail From Dickeyville to Sparta on the stock Bridgestone Battleax BT23 tires and did ok. You can buy skid plates for the FZ here and with some ADV tires I am sure you could manage it (You can get TKC 80s in sizes that fit the FZ). It won't be as good as a DRZ but if you are riding 80% of your time on tarmac the FZ should be fine. 

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I think the bike would suit your needs its upright good hp and good tq will hit 120 ish mph and good mpg . If you want more traction on dirt roads might look into a different tire is all. But the suspension is going to limit you. 
Take one for a test ride.....
What jake said. I've ridden my bike on some very rough, long forgotten back roads where all the pavement had crumbled and turned into something closer to a gravel road. I've also ridden my bike through soft dirt in construction sites and more than anything, the bike needs better suspension. The tire comes second to that since you probably know how to handle power slides and the rear fish tailing. The bike has good, low end torque and should handle any fire road fairly well with the right suspension, the right tires and below 20 mph. It may be light for a street bike but it's not for a dirt bike and it shows in the dirt. If it were me I'd be looking at something more like a dual sport. For good reliability, 'more' power, torque, suspension I'd get a Honda XR650L. Less power, an Yamaha WR250R.  

Beemer

Archived