The MT-07 Forum

Did I Hurt My Gearbox

philthyphil

This must be at least the 3rd post I've made asking about if I'm hurting my bike. I did my 600 mile oil change yesterday and today my bike seemed extra happy. I had a slight mishap when accelerating and shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I was a little late on releasing the clutch in 3rd gear and had already rolled on the throttle a little to much, or maybe allot too much. I don't know why, I guess I just had a little lapse of coordination. This is the only time I've done this since owning the bike. When the clutch caught the gearbox made an ugly CLUNK! sound. The bike seemed fine after, and still does. Front end didn't raise up or anything like that. Is it possible that I messed anything up?

• Premium Member

Our bikes are very clunky, it is just one of the things with them. They will always perform better with fresh oil because it has a wet clutch. After I installed shorty levers and adjusted my cable free play my shifts are silky smooth especially when taking off from a standstill.

Our bikes are very clunky, it is just one of the things with them. They will always perform better with fresh oil because it has a wet clutch. After I installed shorty levers and adjusted my cable free play my shifts are silky smooth especially when taking off from a standstill.
Yea, I adjusted my clutch cable, as well as the throttle cable. My incident today was an actual user error though. I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly, but the bike made a clunk like way more than how it usually does. So when I pulled in the clutch while in second gear, I cracked the throttle, and then popped the clutch abruptly. I didn't do this intentionally, rather it was me having a shifting/user malfunction. When third gear caught, the gear box made an extremely loud CLUNK! So loud that it makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. 

Nah, just make sure you don't do it frequently. It happens! ;)
Thanks hamster.. You always make me feel better! lol. Thanks buddy...

The bike should be ok, it has happened to me rarely when changing gears and not synchronizing everything correctly... what do other riders think? Maybe a more technical approach?

Safe riding!

• Premium Member

The big one is to not down shift into to low of a gear to fast for a few reasons.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

If I had a million dollars for every time a bike has clunked. :D I'm sure it's ok, no clunker of mine has ever hurt anything.

Beemer

If I had a million dollars for every time a bike has clunked. :D I'm sure it's ok, no clunker of mine has ever hurt anything.
Thanks for the feedback man! You know how it is when you get a new toy. You never wanna hurt it!

Thanks for the feedback man! You know how it is when you get a new toy. You never wanna hurt it!

Your FZ is lucky, as you are really looking after him/her! :P

Safe riding!

attackcat109

*repeats what others have said above*. On a side note I do love the smaller clunk noise our bikes make when shifting into first from neutral or stopping. Makes it feel more like a dirt bike to me in a manor that people enjoy the sound of a new exhaust. Bonus features~!

lol! It's a him (too bad-ass to be a her) , un-officially the name is Bikey. Never got around to giving him a real name. When my bike was breaking in I had numerous weird things happen with my transmission and I just wrote it all off to "just breaking in". It must have been about 3 or four times that right when I shifted into like 2nd or 3rd gear it would automatically drop back down a gear, bang the bros. against the tank and leave me wondering WTF just happened?! I also did have the same thing happen to me that happened to you and that super loud clunk scared me it was so loud but it wasn't the first time it's happened on a new bike so again, I passed it off to "just breaking in". It hasn't done it since then, runs/shifts fine now.  

Beemer

lol! It's a him (too bad-ass to be a her) , un-officially the name is Bikey. Never got around to giving him a real name. When my bike was breaking in I had numerous weird things happen with my transmission and I just wrote it all off to "just breaking in". It must have been about 3 or four times that right when I shifted into like 2nd or 3rd gear it would automatically drop back down a gear, bang the bros. against the tank and leave me wondering WTF just happened?! I also did have the same thing happen to me that happened to you and that super loud clunk scared me it was so loud but it wasn't the first time it's happened on a new bike so again, I passed it off to "just breaking in". It hasn't done it since then, runs/shifts fine now.
Yea, I finally named my FZ 07 too. Mine's a her though. I guess actually her name could be a male or female name. I've heard allot of people complain about the amount of plastic on the FZ 07. The plastic doesn't bother me at all. It cleans up nice, and seems plenty durable. BUT, since there is such a large amount of plastic on the FZ 07 that is how my bike got her name Poly, short for polyethylene, polymer, AKA plastic :)

Archived