The MT-07 Forum

600 Mile Maintenance / Fuel Injection Synchronization

philthyphil

I just reached 600 miles on the FZ 07 and I would like to do the service all myself. I already did the oil change, now I just need to tackle the rest. I have been working on my own cars my whole life and I am confident that I can do what needs to be done, with a little help from the wonderful people on the internet. Everything in the manual for the 600 mile maintenance schedule seems pretty straight forward. The manual has instructions on where to find, and how to service most of the things that need to be done. The only thing I am not sure about is the fuel injection synchronization. This is up for maintenance at 600 miles, and then every 4000 miles on. I really don't want to take the bike to the dealership every 4000 miles and pay them to do this. I think I found instructions on how to perform this, here on this forum, but I'm not 100% sure if they're referring to the same thing. There is a post called How to: FZ-07 throttle body sync . Is this the same thing as Fuel injection synchronization? The post gives good detailed steps on how to perform the sync, and it doesn't seem all that difficult. There is a manometer required, and making that tool seems like it may be more difficult than doing the actual sync. They sell a few different digital manometers on Amazon. THIS one has pretty good reviews. Is this something I could use instead of making my own contraption? I'm not too crazy about hooking up something with vacuum pressure and liquid directed towards the innards of my bike. Would using a digital manometer work the same, or close enough to the same, as making my own?

Also found THIS on Amazon, which seems to be closer to the one the people are making themselves. 

I've done some more research and I think I have a pretty good idea on what I need to do to accomplish this now. It's going to take a few days for me to gather up all of the things I'll need for this throttle body adjustment though. I'm right at 600 miles now. Am I going to do any harm to my bike by continuing riding it for the next week or so until I get the tools needed for me to do this adjustment? I've already done the oil change, and just about everything else other than the throttle body. 

Looks like you found the info. Just adding my 2 cents unless the bike is running like crap I doubt you need to worry about TB syncing. I did not do it at 600mi but plan to do it at the 4k mark. Not going to hurt if you want to do it,just adding my thoughts to it. If you want to do it go for it,its your bike! :)

The throttle body sync is setup for all of the crossplane engines. Like previously stated, you really don't need to worry about it if the bike isn't running terribly. I work at a Yamaha dealer as the service writer and recommend it be done because that's what the book says, but in all honesty, the tb sync doesn't need to be done on the very first service. Most of the time they are so close to spec that its not worth the 108 dollars we charge for it. Your dealer may charge more, but it really isn't worth tackling unless the bike runs like complete crap. It is awesome that you found resources on how to complete that service yourself though!

Looks like you found the info. Just adding my 2 cents unless the bike is running like crap I doubt you need to worry about TB syncing. I did not do it at 600mi but plan to do it at the 4k mark. Not going to hurt if you want to do it,just adding my thoughts to it. If you want to do it go for it,its your bike! :)

Awesome, thanks for the info! At this point it really doesn't seem necessary. I hate to sound all tin foil hat like, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put that in for the 600 mile maintenance schedule just for Yamaha and the dealers to rake in more cash from people who don't want to hurt their beloved new toy, so they go by the book and take the bike into the dealership and fork out the dough to have all of it done. Multiply that by the thousands and thousands of people who do this and that is a big chunk of change for Yamaha and the dealers.

Yea, everything that I've read, and videos that I've seen of people who either did the sync themselves, or took it to the dealership, they've all been within spec at 600 miles. My bike is running great now, so I'll take your advice and wait until 4000 miles. I did everything else that the 600 mile schedule calls for myself. I also ordered a Morgan Carbtune 2, which is basically a fancy little manometer. It was only like $85, and I figure since i'll probably be doing the throttle body sync every 4000 miles it'll be a good tool to own.

The throttle body sync is setup for all of the crossplane engines. Like previously stated, you really don't need to worry about it if the bike isn't running terribly. I work at a Yamaha dealer as the service writer and recommend it be done because that's what the book says, but in all honesty, the tb sync doesn't need to be done on the very first service. Most of the time they are so close to spec that its not worth the 108 dollars we charge for it. Your dealer may charge more, but it really isn't worth tackling unless the bike runs like complete crap. It is awesome that you found resources on how to complete that service yourself though!
Thanks for the honest answer! It's great to hear from someone who works at Yamaha. Yes, I am very glad that I was able to find the resources needed to figure how to do this own my own. So thankful for the immense sea of information that makes up the World Wide Web!

Awesome, thanks for the info! At this point it really doesn't seem necessary. I hate to sound all tin foil hat like, but I wouldn't be surprised if they put that in for the 600 mile maintenance schedule just for Yamaha and the dealers to rake in more cash from people who don't want to hurt their beloved new toy, so they go by the book and take the bike into the dealership and fork out the dough to have all of it done. Multiply that by the thousands and thousands of people who do this and that is a big chunk of change for Yamaha and the dealers.  
Yea, everything that I've read, and videos that I've seen of people who either did the sync themselves, or took it to the dealership, they've all been within spec at 600 miles. My bike is running great now, so I'll take your advice and wait until 4000 miles. I did everything else that the 600 mile schedule calls for myself. I also ordered a Morgan Carbtune 2, which is basically a fancy little manometer. It was only like $85, and I figure since i'll probably be doing the throttle body sync every 4000 miles it'll be a good tool to own.

Nothing wrong with an excuse to get a new tool! I may have to look at that link you posted, I was just going to build the meeter, but at 85$ I may just buy one.

We will see how I feel when I hit the 4k mark. Since you seem to be inclined to do all this work yourself, think about getting the service manual if you don't have one. Probably the best thing to buy for your fz (other than an exhaust!)

Nothing wrong with an excuse to get a new tool! I may have to look at that link you posted, I was just going to build the meeter, but at 85$ I may just buy one.  
We will see how I feel when I hit the 4k mark. Since you seem to be inclined to do all this work yourself, think about getting the service manual if you don't have one. Probably the best thing to buy for your fz (other than an exhaust!)
I actually didn't end up buying either of the units that I linked in my original post. I read that the digital ones are more geared toward HVAC work and can be too jumpy/sensitive for our intended purpose. I found one that is specifically made just for tuning carbs and throttle bodies. HERE is a link to that one. It's $89.95 to be exact. It's on a site which sells parts for BMW motorcycles, but I called and talked to the owner. He was a really cool guy. I explained to him what I was trying to do, and he said this gauge will work like a charm. The tool shipped the same day I ordered it.

I actually didn't end up buying either of the units that I linked in my original post. I read that the digital ones are more geared toward HVAC work and can be too jumpy/sensitive for our intended purpose. I found one that is specifically made just for tuning carbs and throttle bodies. HERE is a link to that one. It's on a site which sells parts for BMW motorcycles, but I called and talked to the owner. He was a really cool guy. I explained to him what I was trying to do, and he said this gauge will work like a charm. The tool shipped the same day I ordered it.
Good to know, thanks for the link!

• Premium Member

I bought a manometer online for $100 and it is a beauty. I know you can easily make them but this unit is small , well built and very accurate. I can sync my throttle bodies in less than 10 min. I never checked them until 10000 km and they were pretty much spot on.

I waited 15,000 miles and it was fine.
Wow, that is ridiculous that they put that in the 600 mile maintenance schedule when the know good and gosh darn well that it doesn't need to be done

Personally, unless I was drag racing with it a lot and needed it and everything else to be in top form I wouldn't bother with it, unless of course it's actually out of sync and not running right. If it feels like it's running as good as it was on day 1 I wouldn't mess with it but that's just how I do things. Not broke, don't fix it is my motto. ;)

Beemer

Personally, unless I was drag racing with it a lot and needed it and everything else to be in top form I wouldn't bother with it, unless of course it's actually out of sync and not running right. If it feels like it's running as good as it was on day 1 I wouldn't mess with it but that's just how I do things. Not broke, don't fix it is my motto. ;)
Exactly what Beemer said. I never messed with mine. No need to fix something that's not broken. Just do what needs to be done (oil and filter change, and check the chain and tires) and move on. And don't worry if you go over the 600 miles mark. Even if you go to 800 miles, everything will be fine, as long as you have oil to lubricate the engine. 

If we know that the factory sync is rarely off, then so do the dealers and so how many do you think actually do this at 600 mile ck? Not wasting the time helps beat the flat rate and everyone is happy, you thinking they did and them knowing they didn't. Do it yourself and you will have the satisfaction of knowing how to do it and if it was even necessary then let the forum know how it turned out.

I wonder why they call for it to be done in the manual every 4000 miles? Is it really just purely a money grab for Yamaha?

I wonder why they call for it to be done in the manual every 4000 miles? Is it really just purely a money grab for Yamaha?
Good call, could be or maybe since some bikes they tested needed it at 4000 miles and others at higher miles they just played it safe and said 4k for all. No matter the reason, they do make more more if you bring the bike to the shop more often, that's just fact there. 

Beemer

I just received the Carbtune pro in the mail today. So I now know that I have every tool that I need to do the general maintenance on my bike. The Carbtune serves the same purpose as the manometer that allot of do it your-selfers make on their own for doing the throttle body sync.

I'll probably wait until the 4000 mile maintenance until a tear everything down and sync the throttle bodies. Hell, based off of what other FZ 07 owners have said about how in sync their throttle bodies remained well after 4000 miles, I may wait even longer. I'm kinda itching to use the new gauge that I bought, but I am not itching to remove all of the panels, and gas tank just to get to the stuff that I need. I've seen some videos on youtube of guys getting access to those vacuum attachments for syncing the throttle bodies without having to remove all of the body panels. They seem to be using an angled screwdriver or something. I'll probably look more into that and see if there is a way to get to everything with out having to tear the bike's body down. 

IMG_20170109_180259.jpg

Archived