The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Looks Like a Grom with Me On It

philthyphil

There is a concept in the US that bikes for "real men" are 1000 cc onwards - this applies to all kinds of bikes, from H-Ds to supersports... therefore only physicslly big bikes are the ones appreciated over this side of the Atlantic ocean... 
Well, I believe that there is a lack of motorcycle culture in general and people don't understand that:

- 1) A 1000 cc bike as a first bike is just giving a license to kill yourself
- 2) <1000 cc bikes can be fun

I have ridden H-Ds 883 and they had that H-D essence. A maxiscooter has its pros too (so easy to lean and that superb gas-only acceleration, like an automatic car), etc...

If only we appreciated the models that are not available in the US because of this idea that big bikes are the only ones men ride... (see XSR700, Tracer 700, etc.). :(
I saw my first KTM 390 Duke in person at the mall yesterday and man did it look light & wiley! At 328 lbs. you could flick that thing around like it was nothing.  

Beemer

I see good in that pic. The extra layer/s of fat offer good protection and if you low side you will most likely roll instead of slide and reduce or eliminate road rash. I'm going to McDonald's for lunch and get started on my protective weight! ;) 

Beemer

6'2 270lbs I feel your pain. All my coworkers say I am too big for my bike. But I love my fz07 and I wouldn't change anything. It's my first bike and I love it. I have been looking at the Fz-10 because it fits me so much more but I will always love my fz-07.
Yep, I feel the exact same way. I don't really care so much how I look on the bike. I feel comfortable on it, and it still hauls butt even with my tubby self riding it! The FZ 10 is very appealing. Maybe in a couple years, when I have more experience riding under my belt I'll trade in the ol' FZ 07 on an FZ 10. I love the way the FZ 10 looks. It's like the bigger, meaner version of the FZ 07. 

I'm in the same boat. My dad is the same size I am and he wanted to ride it one day so I handed him the keys. He took off out of my driveway and I was like man he looks like he's on a moped, while also thinking man I probably look identical on it haha.

Like the others have said I don't care how I look on it, it's comfortable and rides good and raises eyebrows when you crack the throttle with a good exhaust on it.

My wife has commented numerous times that I look like a kid when I'm riding my motorcycles. So I ask you which is worse, you looking like you're riding a grom, or me looking like a kid on a motorcycle?

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

6'2 270lbs I feel your pain. All my coworkers say I am too big for my bike. But I love my fz07 and I wouldn't change anything. It's my first bike and I love it. I have been looking at the Fz-10 because it fits me so much more but I will always love my fz-07.
Yep, I feel the exact same way. I don't really care so much how I look on the bike. I feel comfortable on it, and it still hauls butt even with my tubby self riding it! The FZ 10 is very appealing. Maybe in a couple years, when I have more experience riding under my belt I'll trade in the ol' FZ 07 on an FZ 10. I love the way the FZ 10 looks. It's like the bigger, meaner version of the FZ 07. 
Yeah I love the way Fz-10 looks and the size difference is crazy. But I am in the same boat. Once I get more experience I will definitely move into something more my size. 

My wife has commented numerous times that I look like a kid when I'm riding my motorcycles. So I ask you which is worse, you looking like you're riding a grom, or me looking like a kid on a motorcycle?
I've seen small men riding motorcycles. I think it looks cool. 8-)  

I've seen small men riding motorcycles. I think it looks cool. 8-)
Hey, what about big men riding small motorcycles? Isn't that cool too?? Lol. Jk

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Hubs says his FZ09 is his time machine; he feels like a kid when he rides. (:)) 

Illegitimi non carborundum

After today I definitely don't feel like my FZ 07 is small. Today was the first day of my MSF course. The first half of the day consisted of classroom activities, and after that we headed out to the range to ride the bikes. The motorcycles that were provided were Harley Davidson Street 500's. I didn't realize that Harley manufactured such a tiny motorcycle. The thing literally felt like a mini-bike. I don't think they were really a whole heck of allot bigger than Groms. After the range day was over, and I got back on to my FZ 07 to ride home, my bike felt huge under me. I had acclimated to riding that tiny little Harley all day and my FZ felt like a beast... lol. It felt so good to be back on my bike. 

• 3 weeks later...

Someone took a picture of me from the back as I rode off and yeah... I totally looked like a circus clown riding a tiny bike. I'm 5'11" at 250lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had someone make a comment that was even worse than the Grom comment a while back. One of my classmates in my Calculus class at the community college that I'm attending was like, 'hey, I gotta get one of the scooters like you have!' I'm like, 'what... I don't have a scooter.' He's like, 'yea I saw you riding it out of the parking lot the other day.' He was obviously referring to me and my FZ-07. And he knows dick about motorcycles.

I think a big part of it is the sound of the stock exhaust. I have fixed that issue with a nice shinny Akrapovic Carbon. Hopefully people will stop mistaking my actual motorcycle for a scooter!

Archived