The MT-07 Forum

How to: Aiming FZ-07 Headlight

mjh937

• Global Moderator

jerryv, there is only one bulb. I am not sure how the adjustment works exactly, but it does work. I could not see anything moving while I adjusted if so it must be not be moving very much. It also took more turns of the adjustment screw than I expected to get the beam aimed where I wanted, but it is really easy to do once you know where the adjustment screws are.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

That might be, but it sure seemed like high and low beam to me. Before I figured it out I was messing with the top right one and it was not adjusting the low beam at all, but when I went to high beam it was aimed way up. The lower left one adjusted the low beam up and down just fine, and then I went back to the top right and bought the high beam back down. I would mess with it some more to be sure, but the light is aimed exactly where I want it and I do not want to mess it up and have to spend time getting it right again.

Pretty sure one adjusts the bulb up and down, other is to adjust side to side.
That seems to make sense ... US vs European drive on opposite sides of the road.

• Global Moderator

I will talk about cars because I do not know if motorcycles are different, but the countries that drive on the other side of the road (most of Europe does not, just the UK) have reflectors that are opposite of ours to have the beam higher towards the curb side. The beam pattern looked pretty uniform between left and right on the garage door so perhaps motorcycles are different. If someone wants to experiment wit the right side screw I can change the how to, but as I said now that mine is adjusted as I want them I do not want to mess with mine. The left side definetly adjusts the low beam up and down.

Nice. I am going to have to try this because mine also seems really low.
I was just thinking mine was too low last night during my first night ride.  It didn't feel like the light reached out far enough down the road.   
Does anyone know if the instructions for proper adjustment are in the owners' manual?  I can look when I get home, but just curious.  You know, like a diagram that shows how to measure the height of the light beam shined on say a garage door from X feet away, etc.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a FYI since I haven't seen anyone else mention it, if you look at the black plastic just above each adjustment screw they have printed the effect that adjusting the screw will have.

• Like 3

• Global Moderator

I cannot believe I did not notice that. Well actually I guess I can. Thanks for pointing it out though.

• 4 months later...
fooschnickens

This should totally be at the top of everyone's checklist once they get home with the bike (along with checking their tire air pressure). I decided to check mine on a whim and it was aimed over a foot low!

This was going by the standard 25ft measuring test. 25ft from a wall on a flat surface, upper edge of the beam should be 36" from the ground.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant! I can't believe I have never seen this thread. Too often I have found myself just running my high beam since the low is near useless. Thanks for the write ups. Doing this asap! :)

Just did mine, super easy using a stubby phillips ...looking forward to riding home from work tonight and to see how much better i can see without having to hit the brights  :)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Yes! I think a lot of the stock headlights were aimed too low. I know mine was. I would go on a group ride and the people in front of me would tell me they thought my headlight was out.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

In addition to the adjustment, I replaced the bulb with a brighter H4 and man did it ever make a difference. Did this a while back because I too thought I was over riding the light at anything over 35mph. Everyone I run into with an FZ-07 I give the heads up...no pun intended.

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• Premium Member
crazycracka501
CC, any link to the bulb you used to replace the stock one? 
Thanks!
Piaa H4 Superplazma Yamaha part number: ABA-0SS58-40-08 

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

• 2 weeks later...
pioneercrazed

Thanks so much for this post. I haven't been satisfied with the headlight since I got my bike back in November, to the point of it being a serious safety issue with the extremely low cutoff.

Now with the simple turn of a screw I'm completely happy with how my low beam is now, so much better to see what's coming up down the road a little.

This should be a sticky for any new buyer to do immediately IMO.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Is this a sticky yet?! Cus after this post was made, I realized that my light was SOOOOO LOW!!! Fixed it and it's made a whole lot of difference!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
Is this a sticky yet?! Cus after this post was made, I realized that my light was SOOOOO LOW!!! Fixed it and it's made a whole lot of difference!

Consider it done.  ;)

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Sweet @hippiebikerchick!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.