The MT-07 Forum

Motorcycle Safety Program

philthyphil

The only other thing I can think of maybe because of my driving record over 10 years ago. On my insurance policy it says that my driving record is clean. No tickets, accidents, any of that. But, 10 + years ago my driving record was terrible. I had 2 DUI, and several other tickets. I quit drinking almost 10 years ago, and since then I've done allot of growing up and gained responsibility. No one with the insurance companies has said anything to me about my old driving record because it has supposedly all been so long ago that it isn't on my record anymore, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of the reason that my rates are so high. I have not had any type of moving violation in the past 10 years, but prior to that my driving record was a mess.  
I checked with 5 different insurance companies when shopping for insurance for this motorcycle, and $180 a month was the best I could do. That is for full coverage. I could have gotten liability for like $17 a month or something ridiculously low like that, which believe me was tempting. The main reason I stuck with full insurance is because I do live in an area where there is a high chance that my bike will be ripped off, and I'm a new rider so the chances of my dropping the bike and hurting it are higher I suppose.  

This wonderful mecca of criminality that I live in is called Stockton California. I've already asked/told them that I do park in the garage, and asked about anything that I could do to make it less expensive. The answer that all of the insurance agents gave me was the same. The only thing that is going to bring my rates down is time on the bike, without incident. 

Check with foremost, it is part of farmers insurance and ive heard its even cheaper dealing directly with them. Stockton is only 1.5 hours north of me. Im in fresno and i can guarantee you its worst here if you havent seen any news. They actually just jacked my buddies ktm 690 right in front of his house.

Cool, thanks for the reference. I had never heard of foremost before. I punched it in to the google machine and they have several agents here in Stockton. I'll wait until after next week. By then I will have completed my motorcycle safety course, so maybe that will help.

Yea, I'm familiar with Fresno too. I've spent a little time there in the past. Not living, but visiting. The sh#thole factor between Fresno and Stockton are definitely very close (no offence). 2016 was a bad year for homicides here. I know we came real close to, or may have actually beat our all time high of 71 homicides back in 2012. One of them happened right on my street last year, just a few houses down. It happened at about 3am. High power rifle gun shots woke me up out of a dead sleep. 18 year old kid shot and killed in front of his house, getting out of his car. Come to find out the whole thing happened because he accidentally stepped on someones shoe earlier that night at a club. They followed him home. Just pathetic to take someones life over a scuffed shoe.

Foremost is a part of Farmers. And don't get too excited about the savings you get from completing the course. Off the top of my head, I believe I save something like 25-30 bucks a year for having done a motorcycle "safety" program. But then I only pay like 390 a year full coverage, so not sure if it scales.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

Archived