The MT-07 Forum

Turbo Build

alexm963

• Global Moderator
Well that is a concern with the studs. I may add a bracket to the outlet exhaust to help out. The intake is the next big piece after I finish the outlet exhaust. New plenum, intercooler, piping. blow-off valve. I'll get plenty of aluminum welding practice. 

There is that mounting flange just behind the compressor housing mount bolt. Looks like it was for plant assembly.
Alu welding.... scares me....
I have issues with mig, but then again i dont practice much

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Regarding the "decal" above, the tire is thicker in the rear because of all the power being applied to it and drag as it moves forward through the air. :-)

• Premium Member
Well that is a concern with the studs. I may add a bracket to the outlet exhaust to help out. The intake is the next big piece after I finish the outlet exhaust. New plenum, intercooler, piping. blow-off valve. I'll get plenty of aluminum welding practice. 
There is that mounting flange just behind the compressor housing mount bolt. Looks like it was for plant assembly. Alu welding.... scares me....

My brother started MIG welding aluminum a few years ago, mostly 1/8" thick.  You need a spool gun and a higher amperage welder since the aluminum dissipates the heat so quickly.  And 100% Argon of course.  The aluminum wire is too soft for a standard gun.  The wire won't feed properly through the cable from the welder to the gun.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator
There is that mounting flange just behind the compressor housing mount bolt. Looks like it was for plant assembly. Alu welding.... scares me....

My brother started MIG welding aluminum a few years ago, mostly 1/8" thick.  You need a spool gun and a higher amperage welder since the aluminum dissipates the heat so quickly.  And 100% Argon of course.  The aluminum wire is too soft for a standard gun.  The wire won't feed properly through the cable from the welder to the gun.  

Can barely do steel... let alone do anything other than burn through the alum

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Another update. Over the week I welded up the outlet flange from the turbo. I ran a separate smaller pipe for the wastegate and merged it with the main pipe. Probably could have made this easier but whatever. Then tonight I tacked up the rest of the pipes to meet the Ixil muffler. I haven't figured out if/how to add a support bracket. I'll revisit that when it's fully welded. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I used one 180* bend to sweep under the turbo. Then a 90* that ended up being cut to about 55-60* to meet the muffler. I'll try to get it welded up at work this weekend if I end up with an hour to kill. ignore the discolored areas. I sandblasted a little bit at work to clean off some spatter. 

shjsBpt.jpg

p896mJc.jpg

fnoVsb0.jpg

JS1Jf3y.jpg

Looks dope man! I put an indefinite delay on my turbo, so i will have to live vicariously through you. PS I will be in Spocomton March 10th and 11th for the big bike show they have at the fairgrounds. You going?

I should be able to make it. It's just down the road from work. Not sure which day though.

Finished up the outlet exhaust this week. Got it all welded yesterday and the day before. Fitted the O2 sensor at home and got that added as well. Took it to the booth at work today for the BBQ paint treatment. I should be able to mount it up to the bike tonight. Still waiting on turbo gaskets though so it won't be the last time it moves. I'll add pictures when they finally upload to imgur.

Next up is the intake. Intercooler and piping will hopefully be here next week. 

Znp3EUk.jpg

jwHwSmX.jpg

Hmm. Probably not. Don't have one of those at work. I think there is one at school but not big enough for these parts. I considered making models for all the parts. And started to with the manifold. But without the whole bike in CAD the parts don't end up how you model them.

I'm designing a board to adapt the stock harness to microsquirt and retain the stock ecu for the instrument cluster.

Not a major update. I got a few parts in the mail. Intercooler, oil fitting, oil scavenge pump, and the microsquirt kit. Haven't had much time to work on it. I did send off a drawing to a supplier to get some end tanks made for the intercooler. Hopefully those aren't too expensive. I'll try to get some more pics up when I have something more interesting to show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived