The MT-07 Forum

Turbo Build

alexm963

Figured I should start a thread to track my progress. Been thinking about doing this for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. This is my first bike and has been a blast to learn to ride and work on. I was planning on building an intake for the bike over the winter similar to the Hordpower option. After taking some measurements and lying to myself about what things cost I decided to turbo the bike. I've had several turbocharged cars over the years and am familiar with all the components and what it takes to be reliable. I also have a buddy who is a certified dyno tuner and builds 500hp+ WRXs for fun. I have access too mills, lathes, and welders at work. I've been slowly ordering a few parts over the last few months and now that I'm on winter break I had a chance to get started. First up was the manifold. The turbo is off an Audi TDI. The flanges I had laser cut by a supplier we use at work. I ordered some 1.625" OD, 11g, 180* bends from Columbia river. Great response time from them. And great quality bends. Then I took measurements off my stock exhaust to make some head adapters. Turned those out at work last week. This weekend was dedicated to fabbing up the pipes. I don't have a welder at home so I had to do some guess and check while running my back and forth to work and tigging up the tube. The merge isn't perfect and I have some gaps to fill but I'm pretty happy with how it is turning out. I'll hopefully finish it up tomorrow and post and update.
6JwphMH.jpg
dm7btLu.jpg
WoMejTW.jpg
6WgbMIL.jpg
Ozr7KhZ.jpg
WdllZGh.jpg
sb6ctEq.jpg
rALENLc.jpg

There's a guy on the ZRX forum that has made a turbo kit for several different motorcycles including a Suzuki DR. I've been tempted to ask him if he'd like to play with my FZ-07 but it looks like you've got it covered pretty well :) .    Good luck and be careful!

This is great! Make sure you leave enough room for the front wheel to stroke through its travel. (seen others run into probs.) 

I put a ratchet strap on the front wheel and fully compressed in before starting. Should be plenty of room with it's current location.

Any idea how much extra h.p. this will add and how much extra weight is it? Cool project, btw!

Beemer

• 1 month later...

Yeah sorry about the lack of updates. I got the manifold done. I need to re wrap it with exhaust wrap. The ends were too thick with a double layer I couldn't get the bolts back on to mount it fully. I started cleaning up the flange for the outlet exhaust. School and work have consumed my time. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to start on the rest of the exhaust. I'm terrible about taking pictures too.
1trOwpc.jpg

Yeah sorry about the lack of updates. I got the manifold done. I need to re wrap it with exhaust wrap. The ends were too thick with a double layer I couldn't get the bolts back on to mount it fully. I started cleaning up the flange for the outlet exhaust. School and work have consumed my time. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to start on the rest of the exhaust. I'm terrible about taking pictures too.
Sweet!  Thanks for the update.  Pictures or it didn't happen 8-)

While this isn't physical progress, I had some time to design this decal while I was not paying attention in my measurements class.

4XDH0RW.png

While this isn't physical progress, I had some time to design this decal while I was not paying attention in my measurements class.  
4XDH0RW.png

The tire is thicker towards the rear. A result of not paying attention in measurements class. Ha! (jk) ;) Good effort, not bad. When you do take pics they're good I have to say. 

Beemer

4XDH0RW.png

The tire is thicker towards the rear. A result of not paying attention in measurements class. Ha! (jk) ;) Good effort, not bad. When you do take pics they're good I have to say.

Well it's not a tire. It's the cold side of a turbo. And those are my initials in the lower blades. I guess our wheels do have a similar look to them.

Well it's not a tire. It's the cold side of a turbo. And those are my initials in the lower blades. I guess our wheels do have a similar look to them.
Ha! I see it now. The guy sitting on it made me think it was a tire. 
Slow day. Waiter, more coffee! ::)

Beemer

Another small update. I took the exhaust wrap off the manifold and sprayed it with BBQ coating. Its supposed to be good up to 1200F. I did like 5 coats so we'll see how it lasts. I like it a lot better than the wrap too. Also today was another exciting day in Measurements. So I overlaid the flow rates at 2500-10k RPM on the compressor map for the turbo I have. Looks like it will work fine. I'm almost at the choke point at 10k. I haven't decided what max boost I'll be running. I graphed up to 10psi. I'll probably start at 4-5psi and tune from there. 

BvGXOS8.jpg
OysTQ81.jpg
HYVEqLV.png

• Premium Member

Yup, looks good!

I never liked the wrapping. It never stayed on well for me. If the project goes well and the paint comes off, have it ceramic coated.

So, the exhaust tubing is not stainless? What wall thickness did you go with? .063"?

I'm fabing an exhaust now in .063" 304 stainless only because I'm new to TIG welding and did not want to worry about blowing through .049".

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

No I went thick. It needs to support the weight of the turbo and the rest of the exhaust. It's .120" wall.

• Premium Member
No I went thick. It needs to support the weight of the turbo and the rest of the exhaust. It's .120" wall.

That makes sense.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

You arent going to have an external bracket for the support?
Those exh studs arent all that strong, neither is the alu they're screwed into. I bent one removing the stock nut when i swapped on my yoshi pipe.
im waiting to see how you plan on mating the output to the intake, go through the right scoop perhaps?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

You arent going to have an external bracket for the support? Those exh studs arent all that strong, neither is the alu they're screwed into. I bent one removing the stock nut when i swapped on my yoshi pipe.
im waiting to see how you plan on mating the output to the intake, go through the right scoop perhaps?
Well that is a concern with the studs. I may add a bracket to the outlet exhaust to help out. The intake is the next big piece after I finish the outlet exhaust. New plenum, intercooler, piping. blow-off valve. I'll get plenty of aluminum welding practice. 

Archived