The MT-07 Forum

Riding pants

nmucat

• Premium Member

I just pulled the trigger on some Alpinestars A-10 Air Flow pants to go with an A Stars textile jacket. Zips to jacket to form a lightweight, hot weather suit. The pants are made to go inside boots though, so my A Stars SMX2's probably wont cut it. Got a set of the new A Stars SMX3's as they are taller than the SMX2's, but still not full height. We'll see how they work out. Waiting on the stuff to arrive...

- Paulie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

astars is good stuff. a buddy of mine had a 70-foot slide across asphalt in astars leather. he hit his head pretty hard on something and had a to spend a night in the hospital but his arms/legs/torso was untouched.

dianesse (sp?) is nice to. another friend was wearing their stuff when a wheel bearing went out. he slid into a ditch full of basketball-sized rocks. walked away unscathed.

have i mentioned that i prefer armored leather?

-HowWorkClutch

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

After lots of web surfing I was able to come up with what I believe is a good solution for me - for both pants and upper body. Thought I would post it in case it could be helpful for anybody else...

My points of consideration:

Impact protection - good but low profile armor that would stay in position fairly well, and not be likely to tear away if sliding
Abrasion protection - minimize potential road rash injury, and avoid additional humiliation of having pants completely torn away
Optional venting - for hot or cold weather
Appearance - when off the bike, I would like to be dressed in a fairly typical manner
Price - lowest expense possible, and not needing to buy multiple versions of gear to accommodate weather or appearance

There are lots of great products out there, but here is what I finally decided to do...

Draggin' Liners Kevlar mesh knit "long john" style pants, and the Kevlar mesh knit Draggin' Shirt (in black). Although they look thermal, they are not. Most reviews I saw noted the airflow was good with very little additional heat retention. I can wear any pants (though I am looking at heavier 12 oz denim options like Carhartt) and any jacket while maintaining some protection regardless of the other layers.

For armor, I ordered the Forcefield Net replacement armor for Elbow/Knee and for Shoulder. Both are CE Level 2, flexible, breathable, and only 9mm thick. My plan is to sew small center opening pockets (or Velcro) on the inside of the Draggin' gear so they are positioned properly UNDER the kevlar. Then also sew pockets (or Velcro) in my jackets in case I ever want to ditch the kevlar shirt (Kevlar shirt with armor +/- a jacket, or a leather jacket with armor and no kevlar shirt). 

I expect this covers all the points I was looking for. I will provide a review of fit & comfort after they all arrive. Total cost was right around $450 (hip and back armor will be ordered later ~$100)

UPDATE 4-18-16:
The Draggin' liners do add some bulk under my jeans and as some reviews noted they do seem to add a bit of heat retention. It is only been up to 70 degrees here so far, so I am not sure how it'll be once it is in the 80's-90's. I am glad I got them but I will likely need 1 size bigger jeans and/or pants of a thinner material for more airflow. Unfortunately, my plan to sew the armor pockets into my jacket/pants was not the greatest idea - mostly due to my lack of sewing skills. I changed to Velcro instead.

(The Kevlar mesh Draggin' Shirt is great so far. This underneath my mesh armored jacket should work well for most of my Michigan summer riding season.)

Anyone used the Bohn armored pants?
I have 2 bikes (big Roadstar cruiser and the FZ) I usually ride in just jeans or thick leather chaps over jeans but like the versatility of these armored inner pants that don't tie me to any one pair of pants. Will probably get me a pair to try out. I think they have a 90 day no risk trial.

https://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=BGLA&cat=37

• Premium Member
Anyone used the Bohn armored pants? I have 2 bikes (big Roadstar cruiser and the FZ) I usually ride in just jeans or thick leather chaps over jeans but like the versatility of these armored inner pants that don't tie me to any one pair of pants. Will probably get me a pair to try out. I think they have a 90 day no risk trial.

https://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=BGLA&cat=37

I've worn a pair under my kevlar jeans since August. I like them altogether.

I had them on after dark and whacked my shin full stride on the trailer hitch of a pickup. It took a lot of the force of the blow, I'd have been rolling on the ground otherwise.

Everything went braap.

rolltide268

I have the icon anthem 2 overpant. . . Just got them last week so only used em a few times but happy so far for $120!! I don't ride a ton when it's below 40 so really just needed better protection in warmer weather and when I want to wear shorts but know I shouldn't be on my bike just in shorts. Based on my using them the last week and a half I would definitely recommend them.

• Premium Member

I have some Dianese pants but more often wear the Bohn cool air armored pants under standard jeans. They are especially good for commuting, I just put them on under whatever pants I want to wear for work and take them off when I get to work. In the summer I'm no warmer wearing them than if I wasn't, and the armor placing always feels just right. I rarely put the thigh pads in, so just have the hip, knee and shin pads.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
I have the icon anthem 2 overpant. . . Just got them last week so only used em a few times but happy so far for $120!! I don't ride a ton when it's below 40 so really just needed better protection in warmer weather and when I want to wear shorts but know I shouldn't be on my bike just in shorts. Based on my using them the last week and a half I would definitely recommend them.
I too have the anthem over-pants. For my work I need to wear khakis or other dress pants for most of the week (Except BizCasFri). It allows me to put them on over whatever I am wearing and just take them off when I get to work. After riding a bit they are a little tight in the knee area but I don't think I have the knee pads fully figured out yet. I may invest in a dedicated set of riding jeans later but for now the over pant works fine.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

rolltide268

I used mine today for the first time for commuting...may not do that again...I can wear jeans to work and I also go to several meetings around town throughout the days...equals a lot of on/off of the overpant which is not the quickest procedure...small price to pay for a lil safety I guess!!

I have some Dianese pants but more often wear the Bohn cool air armored pants under standard jeans. They are especially good for commuting, I just put them on under whatever pants I want to wear for work and take them off when I get to work. In the summer I'm no warmer wearing them than if I wasn't, and the armor placing always feels just right. I rarely put the thigh pads in, so just have the hip, knee and shin pads.
I'm glad you and hobbes chimed in on the Bohn cool airs.  I spent all evening last night trying to research a suitable solution to wear work appropriate clothes for commuting but still have some real protection beyond normal jeans.  And from my research, basic kevlar reinforced denim without armor won't do much in a real slide. 
No more excuses for me, I'm going to order the Bohn thanks to your guys recommendation!

That said I also came across the Scorpion Covert as possible the best combo between tough riding jean and work appropriate style..  For the price (or less!) of a regular 'fashion' jean, if they are any additional benefit at all in a wreck, I'd think they're money well spent.  If any of you have tried them yet, do you have any impressions on them?

rolltide268

And to add to that, I'll be honest...I will use the ICON overpant on longer rides or when in shorts but for day to day travel around my 10 square mile town...I'm the guy that will just risk his biscuit...

I bought this recently. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-overlord-resistance-pants I was riding in jeans since I picked up my fz-07 last august (not smart). These make you feel much more protected for the possible chance you go off the bike. I forsee them being insanely hot in the summer but I'd rather be sweating than lose my skin. At 5'6" though the knee pads sit below my knees. The Adjustable Velcro in the calf area allow you to get the placement right but the pants look odd while standing up. If you're off the bike you need to undo the Velcro.

Bohn Cool Airs arrived. I was able to test them out on a short ride they felt great on the bike. It was a bit chilly, so I can say they fit their stated purpose of good ariflow under standard jeans. I also wore them a couple hours around home (to test how they would feel under my normal work outfit in an office all day) and while it took a bit to get used to I didn't find them to be that uncomfortable.

All in all they seem like a great fit for my needs, and well built. It gives me piece of mind I have a little extra safety in the event of an accident, though hopefully i'll never find out for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I hot the thrift store...jeans period...if you want the real thick pull over go up a few sizes as my wife did...I just find a good jean u can squat in and  bamb...4 jeans 21$

I hit the thrift store...jeans period...if you want the real thick pull over go up a few sizes as my wife did...I just find a good jean u can squat in and  bamb...4 jeans 21$

I'm glad you and hobbes chimed in on the Bohn cool airs.  I spent all evening last night trying to research a suitable solution to wear work appropriate clothes for commuting but still have some real protection beyond normal jeans.  And from my research, basic kevlar reinforced denim without armor won't do much in a real slide. 
No more excuses for me, I'm going to order the Bohn thanks to your guys recommendation!

That said I also came across the Scorpion Covert as possible the best combo between tough riding jean and work appropriate style..  For the price (or less!) of a regular 'fashion' jean, if they are any additional benefit at all in a wreck, I'd think they're money well spent.  If any of you have tried them yet, do you have any impressions on them?
I just returned a pair of the Scorpion Covert jeans.  They are definitely good looking and offer a lot of abrasion resistance.  But, the way they make them "covert" is to put packets in the inside mesh to add their SAS-Tec armor to the knees.  That's great and all but it results in scratchy, irritating Velcro tabs right at the tension point of your knees.  Bad enough when standing around, now imagine how irritating that will be when seated on the bike.  Now if you'll be constantly wearing your Bohn armor pants under them they should be fine, but if you're not they are a real pain in the knee. 
The jeans I already have and love are the (under-promoted) Icon Insulated denim.  They aren't quite as covert about the armor pockets as the armor is inserted from the outside. But, they are as obvious about where the pads go and where the Kevlar is stitched as many riding jeans are. They are also super comfy, come with D3O armor for the knees (with hip provisions) and have a removable insulated liner to boot which makes them very much 3 season riding gear. 

Anybody ride with KLIMS? I got a pair on sale for about 175 from a local ktm dealer. Have nothing bad to say about them

I have an old pair of Joe Rocket mesh pants I wear when the weather is warmer. I feel naked without them.

On a related note, there's a great medical image app called "Figure 1". If you search for motorcycle related images, almost everything that comes up is leg related. Then hand or arm. Head injuries are the rarest. So anecdotally, legs are the least well protected part of our bodies while riding. Get the protection you'll wear most often, whether it's overpants or under-pants (hehe) or reinforced jeans. 

cherenkovblu3

Havent seen anyone mention RHOK yet, have a pair of the RHOK Gen 3's and love them, comes with CE rated knee/shin protectors / hip protectors, all removable. Quality Kevlar. Different colors available. I can ride to work, throw the knee / hip protectors in my back pack, and have a decent looking pair of pants to wear all day until I ride back home, they're great
http://www.rhok.com.au/jeans.htm only thing I dont like is you have to order them from their ebay store if you live in the US, but it took like 2 days for me to get mine so no worries there.

• Global Moderator

Yes, Klim and Yamaha have something of a partnership going on together. They even make Yamaha branded stuff, at least in the snowmobile devision. Good quality stuff but not cheap.

I'm to far south to look at snowmobile gear, had no idea of the parthership. I have 2 pairs of their enduro riding pants, for close to 10 years now, and have put them through hell. The quality of those pants is ridiculous, and I'd imagine same could probably be said for K one Fifty jeans. I'll find out in a few days, bit the bullet and bought a pair.

Archived